Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Looking good, boss. That body is so tiny, even after the stretch. Fab on!

Yeah, it's small! I setup my rolling mechanics chair about where the drivers seat will eventually go and that additional 8" makes a big difference. Obviously a suspension seat will take up more room and I don't know where pedals will set, but it's comfortable.

I'm thinking about fabbing up a 4" spacer between the tub (by the firewall) and the fenders. This will give me room for a V8.... I think I'm sold on a GM 5.3! :freak:

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Haha consider this thread officially derailed! I would suggest just stealing it from Carl. Find something that's similar in size to stack stuff on and he won't even notice.

Greg

Admin
Buy mine and actually finish it...then you and Greg can be twinners. :) Except I have a 2a windshield frame. And no rectangular tube.

I have a spare 2a windshield frame kicking round.... ;) I plan to swap it on, they look much more classy than the 3awindshield frame!

Sorry for the hijack, Greg. :p

If anyone's actually serious, let's talk.

No worries... it's still Flatty discussion! Would be awesome to see someone on here take over where you finished off.

Greg

Admin
Some of you saw these pics of FB the other day, figured I'd better update this thread. ;) I pulled the CJ2a windshield frame and Hood off my parts Willys and set them up with the MB Grill that I scored from MBryson (which belonged to Stratton previously!). I really like how this is coming together with the 2a parts and MB grill!!

20170426_180939-XL.jpg

20170426_180955-XL.jpg

I also got the tape measure out, to check out a few things like space under the hood and possible wheelbase numbers. If I push the front axle forward a few inches and cut the rear wheels larger with the offset to the back, I should gain 12" of wheelbase, for 92" rather than the short 80" WB.

Under the hood I have 34" from the firewall to the grill as it sits. I plan to push the grill forward 2", giving me 36" to work with. A GM LSx (planning on a LM7 5.3 V8) measures 27 1/2" from the front of the water pump to the back of then block. I figure 3" for the radiator and 3" for a fan, plus a little to keep it off the firewall. If I have 36" total, it should fit fine!

Greg

Admin
Picked up some more drivetrain parts for this project, in the way of a early model GM 4L60e transmission. The early 4L60E's have a 4 bolt tailhousing (1993 to 1996), compared to the 6 bolt tailhousing of the later transmissions. The 4 bolt tailhousing is the same pattern as the factory TH350/700R4 trans adapter and the JB Conversions parts WILL all work together. :cool: This one is a GM Goodwrench rebuild with 70k miles, was running and driving when pulled on it AND it's a 'K' case, so it's quite a bit beefier than a standard 4L60e. I plan to run it as it, hopefully it's up to the task! It came with a factory convertor, I think I'll upgrade to a higher stall (1800-2200) if I can find a decent priced one.

The transmission was pretty nasty when I got it, the engine had a bad rear main seal and apparently a few other leaks. Some degreasing and washing and it's looking better already.

20170620_174131-XL.jpg

20170623_184350-XL.jpg

20170623_184411-XL.jpg

20170623_184634-XL.jpg

Last edited: