Jeep Willys ground-up build

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I'm sure it would be FAR less than 30 lbs. Probably 10, if not less. It's the 2 days worth of work that's really making me waffle. :)

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
A bit more today--installed the lower control arm mounts on the axle:

IMG_1438.jpg

Made myself mad, after I made the tabs and welded them on, I realized I forgot to drill a hole/holes in the outer tab. :mad: Oops.....

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Looks good, I'm glad to see this updated more frequently now. :D

I'm going to dock you points for not drilling those outer tabs out. Let's not let that happen again.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Stratton. Flava Flav tells us "you can't truss that". I don't know if Carl really wants to go against that sage advice.

heh I'm stoked to see progress. DELTA APPROACHES!

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
So I'm slow, but I did make some progress. Measured and made upper and lower rear links, and started on the crossmember for the lowers. Lowers are 1.75" OD .375 wall chromoly, drilled and threaded 1.25"-12. One of Summit Machine's flex joints are welded onto one end, the threaded end gets a Clevite bushing in Teraflex's forged housing. Uppers are 1.5" .120 DOM with a 4" slug of 1.25" .281 in the end, which is threaded 3/4-16. As with the lowers, there is a Summit Machine joint welded on, and there is a 3/4" rod end in the other. (didn't have room for a larger joint there)

IMG_1452.jpg

IMG_1453.jpg

Frame-side upper control arm mounts are there now, so I installed the arms to keep my pinion angle under control finally. :D You can imagine where the lower control arm crossmember will go, just at the bottom/back of the hangy-down loops under the Tcase. (Yes, that is what they're really called. -_-)

IMG_1456.jpg

IMG_1457.jpg

IMG_1458.jpg

Last edited:

Bart

Very very very nice Carl. Can't wait to see this thing on the trail. I know it will be a while, but I envy you're patience and fortitude. Excellent work for sure.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Thanks!

I forgot to mention, I also set up the 4.56 gears in the rear third member before re-installation, so it now matches the front and is ready for action. :cool:

Plus, I corrected the oversight mentioned here:
I'm going to dock you points for not drilling those outer tabs out. Let's not let that happen again.

Last edited:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I still can't believe you forgot to drill those holes.... :rofl:

Lookin killer!

I drilled 'em after! You can see them in the last pic. (I know it doesn't redeem me, but at least it halfway makes up for my ineptitude)