South-West Utah Winter On the Rocks 2013 (Jan 25th 26th) information and roll-call...

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
I know Im excited for WOTR 2013... Who's all going, whats your plans and do you have any questions...

General Information
​Winter on the Rocks January, 25-26 2013​
http://www.winterontherocks.com/
Friday, January 25 th 2013

• 7:30 AM: Check in and registration and Trail Sign Up Begins
  • 8:30 AM: Mandatory Drivers Meeting
  • 9:00 AM: Head for the trails!
Saturday, January 26 th 2013

• 7:30 AM: Check in registration and Trail Sign Up Begins
  • 8:30 AM: Mandatory Drivers Meeting
  • 9:00 AM: Head for the trails!
  • 6:30 PM: Dinner at the Fairgrounds (anticipated)

This event is held in Southwest Utah. Our trails and rocks rival those of Moab. We are about 1.5 hrs north of Las Vegas Just off I-15. Please invite your friends and family. Help us promote the event and join our Facebook page for the latest updates: Search for Winter on the Rocks. Get registered and lets have a great time.

We would like to welcome all the participants of WOTR. We look forward to a fun event and hope you all enjoy your visit. Winter on the Rocks Committee has tried to take every possible precaution to assist you in having a safe and enjoyable adventure while you are here. Because of the nature of this particular sport, it must be understood by every participant that there are inherent dangers during off road recreation. The WOTR, its sponsors and supporters and public land management agencies cannot be responsible or liable for any accidents or mishaps, or personal or property damage which occurs during this event. By registering for WOTR each participant takes upon himself personal responsibility for his own safety and well being, and that of others in his care. Participants are required to stay with their groups and follow designated guides. This will help provide for the safety and comfort of all participants. Guides will assist the group in determining and maintaining a safe and comfortable speed and will determine the routes to be followed. Please remember whip flags for you vehicle, as they are required on all trails.

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
I know Im headed down with a BUNCH of my club buddies and were staying in hotels Thurs thru Sunday.... some friends are even driving home Monday.

I have to mention that this event is only Friday-Sat, but if you can swing time off for a big weekend....DO IT....

Problem I alway run into is not having enough time to do all the trails I want. The crowds will be there and the traills take longer, but the area is AWESOME, the People are AWESOME and The sponsors will def like to see you enjoy yourself.

Cant wait to meet some more new people and see some sweet new rides!!!

Also hoping to hit up a bonfire on Friday or Sat night, I know some local folks are trying to get things rolling on that.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Winter-On-The-Rocks/143621179016084

Trail Maps:
http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?92083-St-George-UT-Sand-Hollow-Riding-Area

Guide to Milts Mile:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utmz0-rNKNw

Guide to Slip Lock Trial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdrlvWrf9HQ&feature=share&list=ULLdrlvWrf9HQ

Last edited:

AX10TOY

Undecided
The Yoda is getting new hardware for this including new shoes,new fuel cell and lots of tube:)

I'am going down on wednesday and wheeling all day thursday before as well

I as well can wait to meet new people

ricsrx

Hunter and myself are in. I would love to take Hunter on the harder trails but the group that i am with including myself do not have the rigs for this.

We will run Milts mile for sure

UFAB

The Yoda is getting new hardware for this including new shoes,new fuel cell and lots of tube:)

I'am going down on wednesday and wheeling all day thursday before as well

I as well can wait to meet new people

Lots of tube for sure, you were looking at 8 sticks.. lol

See ya'll down there.. KOH right after..

sixstringsteve

I might head down for a day or two, my rig should be wheelable by then. My rigs are always in that awkward stage where they could probably do half the trails, but the risk of rolling/damage isn't worth it to me. I wish there were more 5/6 rated trails up there.

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
I wish there were more 5/6 rated trails up there.

Don't be fooled, its an open wheening area with over 15,000 acres of unchartered (via internet) trials and most don't require anything special than a selectable 4 wheel drive vehicle... I'd bet more than a week of general exploration on the easier trails, but most of us take advantage of the harder ones (as shown in the Maps section on RME) cause that's what we like & thats what most trip report photos show on the internet.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Good idea. Maybe I'll poke around the park rather than join an official trail run. I'll bet if they scheduled a few super easy scenic runs they'd fill up. I'd volunteer to lead if I knew the area better. I definitely like the scenery, crowd, and general atmosphere.

Don B

formerly rebarguy
There will be some easier trails.

I'll be doing the Honeymoon scenic run again this year. They also are adding the Barracks Trail this year which is very scenic and about a 4 or 5 depending on which direction it is run. We usually do an easier run from the east side of Sand Mountain that I've called East Rim that's about a 4 rated. They don't have that listed yet, I'll have to check and see if we're doing it again.

Coco

I am hoping to make it down this year. I havent been down since SWCF and it was a blast. Really wanna make it out again!

Xiled1

We plan on heading down again this year. If we come alone i plan on giving the Maze a try. If my buddy joins us, then we'll stick to the easier stuff. Curious to see what the extra wheelbase is like on the slickrock. This will be 4 years in a row for us.

Also, most of the trails have bypasses so less equipped rigs can tag along. I saw an open TJ on 33's run most of Johns Trail last year.

sswens1

Im planning on coming unless my job throws me under the bus. I'll know for sure around the first of the year. I have some work to do the the jeep as always but I cant wait to get back there!