XJ help

Badger

I am the Brute squad
you do realize you can't change the timing on an OBDI 91 Xj right? Moving the distibuter around does nothing for you.There is only two ways to adjust the timing and that is to either remove the timing chain and move it a few teeth or to oblong the holes that hold on the CPS and move it to one side or another.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
A few degrees only makes a difference when talking about engine performance. If the rotor was pointing at the right wire, it is close enough to start the engine and determine that timing is NOT the problem. If it was the problem it is likely it would be off by much more then just a few degrees. Remember, we are trying to help him rule out potential problems, not tell him to skip them.

I just didn't want him to start ripping things apart when he noticed that the rotor really wasn't pointing to the terminal.

Have you tried a little either yet? It will let you know right away if its spark or fuel.

I am not sure on all the issues with yours but I had about the same issue. I pulled the fuel pump relay out and tried to start it and it did. I was told that mine for some reason was getting too much fuel and flooded it. Try that and see if it will start. If it does start you will need to put the relay back in and get a new one. Good luck!