XJ lift 8 inches???

smithmonsters

My friend got a 2000 cherokee and he wants to put 8 inches on it. Hes not really happy with the skyjacker lift becouse its noisy and expensive. He is looking for any advice. Do any of the local shops make a custom lift for the front if he just uses the skyjacker 8 in rear lift. He wants it to stay somewhat quiet, be flexy, and not be a pos, anyone make anything?

Badcop

Who Dat? Who Der?
He can go RE 7.5 front coils, 1.75 Pucks, along with the RE front Tbar relocater and adjustable Tbar. For the rear use the 4.5 RE leaf packs, 2.5 teraflex shackles, and a 1 inch block if needed to level her out. With that much height he will have to use a long arm kit, either Tera or RE.

utahxjer

Badcop said:
He can go RE 7.5 front coils, 1.75 Pucks, along with the RE front Tbar relocater and adjustable Tbar. For the rear use the 4.5 RE leaf packs, 2.5 teraflex shackles, and a 1 inch block if needed to level her out. With that much height he will have to use a long arm kit, either Tera or RE.
Or drop brackets.

fattodog

frame cracks= More flex!!
smithmonsters said:
My friend got a 2000 cherokee and he wants to put 8 inches on it. Hes not really happy with the skyjacker lift becouse its noisy and expensive. He is looking for any advice. Do any of the local shops make a custom lift for the front if he just uses the skyjacker 8 in rear lift. He wants it to stay somewhat quiet, be flexy, and not be a pos, anyone make anything?

Call Bud at Sky's Extreme. they do lifts on XJ's quite frequently. KENNETH !!

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Herzog said:
Why 8" of lift? Unless he's mall crawlin, tell him to hack the fenders for bigger tires.

I'm with Herzog. 4-5" is kind of the sweet spot between stable and semi-tippy. Mine's at 6" and I'd like it better just a little lower. Mine clears the 35" tires and that's why it's been left alone.

That said, for a bolt-on kit, an RE 5.5" kit would be the way to go, IMHO.

mbryson said:
I'm with Herzog. 4-5" is kind of the sweet spot between stable and semi-tippy. Mine's at 6" and I'd like it better just a little lower. Mine clears the 35" tires and that's why it's been left alone.

That said, for a bolt-on kit, an RE 5.5" kit would be the way to go, IMHO.

i'm with herzog also. mine is on 4" and i wish it was about 1 or 2" taller but all you really need is to cut the fenders and keep the center of gravity low but bigger tires for some clearance. my 2 cents

Last edited:

ShaggyHippy

eddie would go
lift

well i had a 2000 cherokee also i 10 inch lift i use big eds off road rear spring i loved them very nice ride and a 7.5 rub coil and spacer and rockkawler three link in front and it was crap they (lower arms ) riped my prackets off my axle dont ever get those long arms i think you would be very happy with R E long arm kit it rock well theres my two cents happy wheelin

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
ShaggyHippy said:
well i had a 2000 cherokee also i 10 inch lift i use big eds off road rear spring i loved them very nice ride and a 7.5 rub coil and spacer and rockkawler three link in front and it was crap they (lower arms ) riped my prackets off my axle dont ever get those long arms i think you would be very happy with R E long arm kit it rock well theres my two cents happy wheelin

10" lift!? That's crazy, and unreasonable. I ran 38's under about 6" of lift when I still had the full-body cherokee. :eek:

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
utahxjer said:
Were your fenders crunched?

Nope. It took a lot of work, but they cleared perfectly even at full compression. It doesn't have to look like a hack job from hell... I've seen some really clean setups. :)

smithmonsters

well i guess hes gonna get the 6 in tera long arm and use the bushwacker cutouts. and still wants to fit 35-12.5-15 Anyone opose this? How much wheel offset and what size wheel would you use ? thanks for all the other info

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
smithmonsters said:
well i guess hes gonna get the 6 in tera long arm and use the bushwacker cutouts. and still wants to fit 35-12.5-15 Anyone opose this? How much wheel offset and what size wheel would you use ? thanks for all the other info

Nothing against the Bushwackers, but for the money I thought I'd have to trim A LOT of the Bushwackers off at 6". So I'd buy a set of flares for $350-400 and have to trim them fairly significantly to work? I just whacked my stockers, but I'm a cheap bastid.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
smithmonsters said:

I didn't mean to rain on anybodies parade about the height of the lift... I just believe that if you want a purpose built rig, you will want to keep the c.o.g. down to a minimum while sainly fitting the size of tires that you want. Hopefully the tera 6" kit will work well for him. :)

ShaggyHippy

eddie would go
flares

if your going to go with cut out flares rustys offroad flares are way cool if you have any other questions or ideas look at rusty web site they are hard core cherokee guys

smithmonsters

We are in the process of installing a 6 in tera/skyjacker long arm ( tera front springs and long arms & skyjacker rear springs/track bar disconects and shocks) So far its been a little harder and more time consuming than my tj lift (tera long arm) but we are doing it part time so what do we expect.