YJ wheelbase stretch

1993yj

I am going to move my rear axle back by welding my rear spring hangers off of my rear bumper and then using cherokee springs. Has anyone done this and have any advice? I plan on putting an aluminum fuel cell up in the back, but not sure yet as to how I will do a fuel pump for my 4.0L. Also, I am wondering how to competition cut my fenders and get a nice rolled look rather than sharp edges.

Badcop

Who Dat? Who Der?
1993yj said:
I am going to move my rear axle back by welding my rear spring hangers off of my rear bumper and then using cherokee springs. Has anyone done this and have any advice? I plan on putting an aluminum fuel cell up in the back, but not sure yet as to how I will do a fuel pump for my 4.0L. Also, I am wondering how to competition cut my fenders and get a nice rolled look rather than sharp edges.

here what it looks like so far from what we've done to this CJ-5. It started at a 82" wheelbase and is now at 101".

The rear is moved back 14" and the front forward 6". With the use of YJ springs flipped around we got a good 19" stretch.

Last edited:

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
1993yj said:
How far back do you want to go? You can gain 6" by cutting off both hangers, moving the front ones (one the rear) back 6" and flip the rear ones around and welding them on like you were saying on the bumper.

Badcop

Who Dat? Who Der?
Hickey said:
Did you mean XJ springs?

No, were using a OEM set of YJ springs. We cut the frame and inserted 2x3x.188 Steel stock. We then moved the spring perches back and forward respectively

DevinB

I like traffic lights
I'm pretty sure that the pin in YJ springs is centered between the eyes, so it wouldn't make a difference if they were flipped around or not. I'm guessing that's why Hickey asked if you meant XJ springs.

I wish I had advice for you, but I don't. I want to do the same thing, I just don't want to lose storage space behind the seat and can't remove the seat because Junior's going to need a place to sit when he's born. Let us know what you come up with and how you go about it.

Devin

Badcop

Who Dat? Who Der?
He might be, what I meant when I said flipped, was we put the fronts in the rear and the rears in the front. Or so we think, we had no indication which was which. The 2 sets of packs were almost the same except 1 had an extra pack so we put it in the front to help hold up the 350cid.

1993yj

I figure that by using the stock front hanger and welding on new rear hangers, using XJ springs that are flipped, I should get 5" of stretch. I dont want to lose the rear seat either, the fuel cell I am looking at will fit behind the rear seat really well, but I will lose the storage. Luckily I usually wheel with my brothers who have an XJ and a full size Ramcharger, so they have enough room for my spare parts too.

rondo

rondo
I'm doing the wheel base stretch, cutting, fuel cell to my YJ too. I can't tell ya how to cut it clean though. Hoping someone else can. I was gonna cut it, then weld in a small diameter tube and grind it smooth. Still deciding though.

I'm interested in how you do the fuel cell also. I don't know a thing about them, but would like to use my YJ stock pump if possible. I'd like to follow this to see where you get your tank, and how you get it together. I'm told its easy easy, but that doesn't mean a thing to me haha

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
rondo said:
I'm doing the wheel base stretch, cutting, fuel cell to my YJ too. I can't tell ya how to cut it clean though. Hoping someone else can. I was gonna cut it, then weld in a small diameter tube and grind it smooth. Still deciding though.

I'm interested in how you do the fuel cell also. I don't know a thing about them, but would like to use my YJ stock pump if possible. I'd like to follow this to see where you get your tank, and how you get it together. I'm told its easy easy, but that doesn't mean a thing to me haha

I used a YJ tank (it's experienced :D) and sunk it into my floor a ways. I have a requirement for a rear seat and will probably need to just move the stock seat mounting brackets up about 3" to compensate for the tank (or move it forward about 2" and have them kick the back of my seat even more often than usual).

I've got a waggy front spring (in roughly the stock location), and stock XJ rear (front mount in stock location and short side to the rear of the vehicle with frame extension). I'm at 101".

1993yj

The fuel cell I am going to get is from summit racing. Part #RCI-2171A on their website. Holds 17 gallons and should fit nicely behind my rear seat. It runs like $240 and comes with a sending unit, but no pump. I would like to think that I could still use my stock fuel pump, but thinking that in reality it wont work. What I will most likely do is get a high flow pump from Checker or somewhere. They run about $150, and mount it under my jeep where the old tank was. When I get into here in a bit I will see where it will fit best.

TELFORD

its a work in progress
I used a summit RCI fuel cell on my tj with the stock pump/sending unit. I cut a hole in the top of the cell, and then made two rings (cant remember what gauge) to clamp the unit to the fuel cell. I was however unhappy that I did this, thinking back now I would use something diffirent, I just didnt really like the setup.I also would probably not use an RCI tank again either, from the research I have done, they tend to come with a series of problems(ie cracking and such).

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
What you need is an external electric fuel pump and non-return pressure regulator. I've seen them, I know I sell them, but I can't find them now! :-\ The fuel injected Jeep motors like 44-49 PSI....

I know Mallory, Holley, NOS and Aeromotive carries them, but the ones I'm seeing are like $500. I know there are some down in the $100-200 range that I'm not seeing now....

Do yourself a favor, and do not get one of Holley's blue/red/black pumps. Vibration kills the magnets. Now they have a marine version, so I'm not sure if they are better?

rockkrawler

pm BLACK KRAWLER HE has designs for a fuel tank that goes behiend the axle and under the body. Fits alol origionasl hardware and hods around 15.0 gallons.

scott creasey

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
I have a stretched YJ 104.5" wheelbase. I used rancho 44044's lift waggy springs front and rear, they have an offset center pin 22"pin24" plus I did a reverse shackle and moved my front spring hangers forward and my rear hangers back. and moved my tank up into the tub for right now..But I too need to do something better with my tank I plan on having a back seat again before Moab EJS.

1993yj

From everything I can find, it looks as though I am going to have to go with the RCI tank if I want to fit it behind my rear seat and still be able to take extra people on the trails. I have found a MSD fuel pump for about $90 that puts out about 45 psi. I know of people who have used this pump on their Grand Cherokees and have had success with it.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
1993yj said:
From everything I can find, it looks as though I am going to have to go with the RCI tank if I want to fit it behind my rear seat and still be able to take extra people on the trails. I have found a MSD fuel pump for about $90 that puts out about 45 psi. I know of people who have used this pump on their Grand Cherokees and have had success with it.
45 psi is a good amount. If it were me, I'd rather have a 55 psi pump and a regulator. But get me a MSD part number and I'll see if I can make you a good deal on it.