Yost Enduro Oct 4th

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Who is going?

1321335_orig.jpg

I should be racing, provided the docs clear my hand.

How does one go about volunteering to get race points if the doc says no to racing?

Cascadia

Undecided
Too late for race points. Points have to be turned in 30 days prior to any race being volunteered. Only 2 races we could get points on are the final 2. Bummer since I'm missing yost and rmr.

djgardner

I will be there...assuming my bike is running...

It stopped running during Wendover (DNF)...and I checked the intake valves and they were a little tight...so I adjusted those, and it will start, but runs really rough and backfires and then dies. So I'm not sure what is wrong with it. My initial thoughts were ignition or maybe carb (clogged jet or something)...but the carb checked out last night...and I'm checking out the ignition tonight. Hopefully that's it.

I also picked up the ReKluse Core EXP 3.0...to replace/upgrade my 2.0...so I REALLY need it fixed by Thursday at the latest...because I've got to break in that new clutch before the race.

Anyway...sorry for the sob story...but I will be Yost...whether I'm racing or not, is still a little bit up in the air.

djgardner

So I figured out what was wrong...besides the tight intake valves...it was a bad ignition coil assembly. $106 at Rocky Mountain ATV will have me good to go for Yost (besides the fact that I haven't exercised-bad foot, from Wendover-or ridden-broken bike-since Wendover). Fortunately its an endure and I'll have plenty of time to rest during the race. I hope I have 30 minutes of race pace in me at a time...

djgardner

What a fun race! Couldn't ask for better conditions...and though the course was more technical than I would have liked (I'm a weak technical rider)...overall the course was just plain fun!

I am still having clutch issues for some reason, and I had to stop and help untangle my brother's bike from a barb wire fence at the beginning of test 2...so my times won't be that great...but I don't care, today was just a fun day to be on a dirt bike and I enjoyed every bit of it.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Best race of the season. I'm excited to see my times, I think I did well, but even if I didn't I had a great time. Like big stupid idiot grin almost the whole time.

I didn't think it felt that technical, at least compared to Chimney Rock, but it was pretty tight in #5 and #6 for sure!
I loved all the tests but #1 and #3 were awesome.

I wish they would have announced that if someone behind you catches you to move over because I had a few problems with slow people trying to play blocker in test #2, #5 and #6.
Numerous people said the same thing. If they would have said something at the rider meeting, I think it would have been a non-issue.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I had a blast and thought that Big Jimmy, Rick Young, Paul Simmons & Eric Spencer put together an awesome course. I struggled a little bit in the grass track test where I had my only tip over of the day but enjoyed every other test. I can't wait to see my test times.

djgardner

How does a novice rider do test 1 in almost half the time as josh knight? Should that 10 minutes be 20 minutes? Or did he cut the course? Did the people keeping time write down the wrong start/end time? That can't be right...especially since his other test scores aren't equally fast.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I just want to brag a little about all my cool friends!
http://usraracing.weebly.com/uploads/7/8/8/3/7883188/2014yostbbgtimes.pdf

Terin 1st place Novice Open. 5th place overall. 1:36:01
Paul 1st place Over 40 Expert. 6th overall. 1:36:43
James 2nd Place Over 40 Amateur. 21th overall Amateur. 1:56:17
DJ 3rd place Over 30 Amateur. 22th overall Amateur. 1:56:31
Me 1st Place Over 30 Novice. 6th overall Novice. 2:01:39
Luke 3rd place Over 30 Novice. 19th overall Novice. 2:08:39
Sam 4th place Over 30 Novice. 23th overall Novice. 2:09:09
Kyle 5th place Over 30 Novice. 24th overall Novice. 2:10:16

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose

Terin rode great, but I think there is a problem with his special test 1 time. I don't think he beat Josh Knight by almost 8 minutes in that test. They also have you listed as an Amateur Stratton.

Last edited:

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
With some quick calculations, Josh was about 18% quicker than Terin on average. With that average, Terins test 1 should have been around 21:30 long, not 10:58. If you add that extra time to his score, he would have a total time of 1:46:32. That would put him as the first overall novice by about 2 minutes and prove that he is sand bagging.:D However, if he was one of the people who missed a corner and got back onto the course further down the trail, I am not sure if he will be penalized or DQ'd by the Buzzards.

djgardner

I'm so bummed about those times, even though they were better than I was expecting them to be...like I said earlier, I was having clutch issues all day (and my bike would stall any time the RPM's went to idle...yes, it was a pain trying to get back down the mountain on test 4. And on test 3 it stalled and wouldn't start for 3 minutes 45 seconds-based on the time on my helmet cam), and I stopped and helped my brother-on test 2-get his bike out of a barb wire fence-another 3 minute 20 seconds based on the time on my helmet cam vid...but that time is still better than I expected it to be. How crappy is it that the best race of the year, and I can't even "race" it because I was so paranoid about staling my bike. But, it was still a fun course, and I had a fun ride...so it was still better than a day at work, that's for sure.

Congrats to all you guys! I'm definitely seeing improvement in your results...that's a gotta be a good feeling!

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
If anybody thinks seconds don't count, look at the time difference on the tests and overall for me & rich who finished 2nd in my class.