Yost Enduro Oct 4th

djgardner

Im sure it starts over when you go to Am. It makes sense otherwise some that only race 5 or 6 races a year might never advance, and yet might belong in an advanced class. last year I only raced 4 races and 2 of which I got 1st place finishes, those points should carry forward.

Were those two first place finishes amateur/novice overall? Or just in your class?

You only get move up points for novice/amateur overall results...

I finished first in my class (30+ amateur), but 9th overall amateur (I think) at the rhino rally...I didn't earn move up points for that race...as move up points are only awarded to the top 6 overall amateur/novice.

djgardner

Paul, I'm curious to know your thoughts on moving up a class? When do you think a rider is ready to move up?

Some say to wait until the sanctioning body forces you up...other say race as high a class as the sanctioning will let you race...others have different philosophies (if you are consistently on the podium in your class move up...or consistently top 10 overall move up, etc.)

Curious when you would let you son move up a class?

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
Were those two first place finishes amateur/novice overall? Or just in your class?

You only get move up points for novice/amateur overall results...

I finished first in my class (30+ amateur), but 9th overall amateur (I think) at the rhino rally...I didn't earn move up points for that race...as move up points are only awarded to the top 6 overall amateur/novice.

one was Mesquite 1st place(40+Am-7th Overall) and the other was 1st (40= Am) not sure on overall. but in the 40+ Am if the points are only accrued on the class overall finishes I could just podium every 40 plus Am and never have to move up.. where to put all the trophies? I believe it should be points accrued in each bracket..that way you move on and give someone else a stab at some trophies.. we all need to progress.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
As I understand the rules, the move up points are awarded to you in regards to the finish in your class if you finish in the top 20% of your class. For example, if there are only 3 people in your class and you get 2nd, then only 1st place will receive move up points. As far as the question in regards to when you should move yourself up, I think it depends on what the person wants out of racing. If all you want is to win a trophy, then stay in the lowest class possible. If you want to improve and like pushing yourself, then move up as soon as you feel like you have reached the top of your class.

Next year will be Jack's first year racing the 85. Based on him getting 3rd in the novice class in his first 85 race at Chimney Rock, I know that by mid year next year he will be one of the front runners in that class and would be in the running for an end of year award. Before this race, I had already made the decision that Jack was going to start out in the Amateur class next year since it would keep him out of the chaos of the novice class and allow him to focus on becoming a better rider and run his own race.

I look forward to James moving up to expert next year and being in the running for winning that class.

djgardner

one was Mesquite 1st place(40+Am-7th Overall) and the other was 1st (40= Am) not sure on overall. but in the 40+ Am if the points are only accrued on the class overall finishes I could just podium every 40 plus Am and never have to move up.. where to put all the trophies? I believe it should be points accrued in each bracket..that way you move on and give someone else a stab at some trophies.. we all need to progress.

I'm in your same boat (fast enough to be top three in my class most races....but not fast enough to get into the top 6 overall...so I never earn move up points). I asked Lila about it and she told me they do it that way because that is how they score points (off the overall not off each class). Lila said we can move up whenever we want though. I've seriously thought about moving up...but I need to improve my riding in technical stuff first.

There is a huge speed disparity in all the classes...a lot of people on both ends of the speed spectrum racing in the wrong class...maybe the current points system needs to make the move up points scale a little more liberal, and then add a "move down" points system for the slowest 20% in each division...to level out the talent in each class. No perfect way to so it though.

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
I'm in your same boat (fast enough to be top three in my class most races....but not fast enough to get into the top 6 overall...so I never earn move up points). I asked Lila about it and she told me they do it that way because that is how they score points (off the overall not off each class). Lila said we can move up whenever we want though. I've seriously thought about moving up...but I need to improve my riding in technical stuff first.

There is a huge speed disparity in all the classes...a lot of people on both ends of the speed spectrum racing in the wrong class...maybe the current points system needs to make the move up points scale a little more liberal, and then add a "move down" points system for the slowest 20% in each division...to level out the talent in each class. No perfect way to so it though.

If thats the case with the points as per overall, then most of us dont need to worry about moving up. I believe I will anyway.

Yep there is a huge gap between Am and Expert, In the 40+ class I will go from chasing points for a championship to an overall goal of just not coming in last. but I accept the challenge.

If I feel that I am dangerous to myself or others racing in the Expert than I will request USRA to move me back down.

Last edited:

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Yep there is a huge gap between Am and Expert, In the 40+ class I will go from chasing points for a championship to an overall goal of just not coming in last. but I accept the challenge.

If I feel that I am dangerous to myself or others racing in the Expert than I will request USRA to move me back down.

BS. I can think of at least 2 people in the class that you can beat and are probably close in speed to most the others.

djgardner

If thats the case with the points as per overall, then most of us dont need to worry about moving up. I believe I will anyway.

I'm with you...I'd go from battling for class wins and-if I'd hit more races-an overall points championship...to just fighting to stay mid pack. There is no way I'm beating Orndorff, Rick or Brett Young or Gottfredson. (I remember racing-and occasionally beating-guys like Badger, Orton, Lovendahl, Wilson...but I think I got lucky when I beat them...we are very close in speed).

Of course, I just turned 34...so maybe I'll move up for the 2016 season and race 35+ Expert...a LITTLE less competition there (unless Orndorff, the Youngs, and Chad Gottfredson all turn 35 next year too...lol).

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I'm with you...I'd go from battling for class wins and-if I'd hit more races-an overall points championship...to just fighting to stay mid pack. There is no way I'm beating Orndorff, Rick or Brett Young or Gottfredson. (I remember racing-and occasionally beating-guys like Badger, Orton, Lovendahl, Wilson...but I think I got lucky when I beat them...we are very close in speed).

Of course, I just turned 34...so maybe I'll move up for the 2016 season and race 35+ Expert...a LITTLE less competition there (unless Orndorff, the Youngs, and Chad Gottfredson all turn 35 next year too...lol).

Gottfredson is the same age as me......43. He is just beating up on the guys younger than him.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
He must be afraid of you... :)

Why is he staying in the 30+ class?

He probably does it for the challenge. But in reality, if you talk to any of the people who are consistently finishing in the top 10-15 about how they finish, very few of them will tell you how they finished in their class. Most of them are focused on overall finish and how they are standing for the end of year overall.......even though they may be battling for position in their class. If you work on your overall finish, the class finish will take care of itself........especially since your points come from overall finish.

djgardner

He probably does it for the challenge. But in reality, if you talk to any of the people who are consistently finishing in the top 10-15 about how they finish, very few of them will tell you how they finished in their class. Most of them are focused on overall finish and how they are standing for the end of year overall.......even though they may be battling for position in their class. If you work on your overall finish, the class finish will take care of itself........especially since your points come from overall finish.

Which is actually a good perspective...if its points that you care about, class finish doesn't even matter.