Your Pic of The Day

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Don't blame me because you're not eXtreme enough for ice hill canoeing! ;)

Also:
View attachment 158575

Total capacity at 32%. So, SNOW, BABY SNOW! :D
You have to keep this in context. Many of these reservoirs are currently dumping water so their spill ways are not over run. There is enough water above Joes Valley currently to fill the lake 2.5 times and they are letting a lot of water out right now. They are letting water out of Scofield right now because they know it is going to go over the spillway, but the real problem there is the amount of water that is going to be coming out of White River. If they allow massive spills out of Scofield (which they have control over) while there is massive run off coming out of White River (which they have no control over) there will be lots of flooding throughout Carbon County. I don't know what amount of release they are doing out of Pineview, but the amount of water that is going to be going into that reservoir is many times more than it can hold.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
You have to keep this in context. Many of these reservoirs are currently dumping water so their spill ways are not over run. There is enough water above Joes Valley currently to fill the lake 2.5 times and they are letting a lot of water out right now. They are letting water out of Scofield right now because they know it is going to go over the spillway, but the real problem there is the amount of water that is going to be coming out of White River. If they allow massive spills out of Scofield (which they have control over) while there is massive run off coming out of White River (which they have no control over) there will be lots of flooding throughout Carbon County. I don't know what amount of release they are doing out of Pineview, but the amount of water that is going to be going into that reservoir is many times more than it can hold.
Yep. This is why the reservoirs around St. George are currently at higher capacity. They’ve been filling from run-off earlier in the season because their temps are higher.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Yeah, not a hydrologist but I don't understand why they didn't start emptying every reservoir we have last month. With the exception of maybe the big ones like Strawberry and Jordanelle, they're all going to get way more water than they need to fill.

Hope they know what they're doing. All that water is going to end up in GSL or Powell one way or another, but I'd rather it didn't take too many roads with it.

Houndoc

Yeah, not a hydrologist but I don't understand why they didn't start emptying every reservoir we have last month. With the exception of maybe the big ones like Strawberry and Jordanelle, they're all going to get way more water than they need to fill.

Hope they know what they're doing. All that water is going to end up in GSL or Powell one way or another, but I'd rather it didn't take too many roads with it.
It is a simple risk calculation. Start too early lowering the reservoirs and end up with a dry late winter and spring (have seen that happen) and we run into water shortages. Luckily not how this year played out.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I had a 5.25" floppy I got from a conference that I kept in my cubicle. My parents had some they were looking for a drive to read them years ago and by then technology changed and we couldn't find a way to read them.