Your Pic of The Day

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Since I love asking questions about your work… what’s up with the wear pads spline lookin things?

This machine travels on and off track, the hyrail wheels are driven by the rubber tires and the spline part contacts the tire when in hyrail mode... that axle swings down and puts pressure against the tire.

I had to change out the hyrail wheel and hub today, as the flange is worn beyond spec.

STAG

On my grind
This machine travels on and off track, the hyrail wheels are driven by the rubber tires and the spline part contacts the tire when in hyrail mode... that axle swings down and puts pressure against the tire.

I had to change out the hyrail wheel and hub today, as the flange is worn beyond spec.

At the risk of making myself sound stupid; the self-proclaimed mechanical engineer in me sees that as an overly complex design..?

If the rubber wheel is what’s powered;(assuming it is as I see what appears to be a planetary final drive hub) can’t it drive its own power on and off track? (Can’t the steel wheels just be the guides for keeping the rig on the track and supporting the bulk of the machine weight, and then the drive motion come from the rubber tires on the steel track?)

Last edited:

Greg

Admin
At the risk of making myself sound stupid; the mechanical engineer in me sees that as an overly complex design..?

If the rubber wheel is what’s powered;(assuming it is as I see what appears to be a planetary final drive hub) can’t it drive its own power on and off track? (Can’t the steel wheels just be the guides for keeping the rig on the track and supporting the bulk of the machine weight, and then the drive motion come from the rubber tires on the steel track?)

Why is that? It's actually quite simple and makes it a very multipurpose piece of equipment.

The rubber tires drive the travel and provide brakes for the machine when on the track, the hyrail wheels freewheel. When in hyrail mode, the rubber tires are lifted off the track by 12-14".

These machines are typically used to drag LONG pieces of rail... like, 1/4 mile strings. They need stability and massive amounts of tractive force to be able to pull that much weight. This hyrail drive system works very well for that, is pretty simple and pretty much an industry standard around the world.

STAG

On my grind
Why is that? It's actually quite simple and makes it a very multipurpose piece of equipment.

The rubber tires drive the travel and provide brakes for the machine when on the track, the hyrail wheels freewheel. When in hyrail mode, the rubber tires are lifted off the track by 12-14".

These machines are typically used to drag LONG pieces of rail... like, 1/4 mile strings. They need stability and massive amounts of tractive force to be able to pull that much weight. This hyrail drive system works very well for that, is pretty simple and pretty much an industry standard around the world.
Gotcha. I just figured the traction for drive and brake would be better with rubber directly on track rather than being powered through the steel wheel

STAG

On my grind
Gotcha. I just figured the traction for drive and brake would be better with rubber directly on track rather than being powered through the steel wheel
I’m dumb. The answer to my own question stares at me in the face. The width of the rubber tires is much too wide to touch the rails 🤷🏻‍♂🤦🏻‍♂️

Greg

Admin
I’m dumb. The answer to my own question stares at me in the face. The width of the rubber tires is much too wide to touch the rails 🤷🏻‍♂🤦🏻‍♂️

Yeah, 56.5" inside. These machines work well for relaying rail, the rubber tires will straddle the rail so you can remove old rail and throw new rail in place.

This may help?

Agility Customs

Vendor
IMG_0544.jpeg

I recently got the title to a car I bought from my grandma after my grandpa passed away earlier this year. I’m not sure why but I think the title is way cooler than the car. 😎

It appears that my grandpa bought the car in 1954 and owned that thing almost 70 years which as @xj_nate pointed out is the exact opposite of my vehicle ownership style.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
View attachment 163424

I recently got the title to a car I bought from my grandma after my grandpa passed away earlier this year. I’m not sure why but I think the title is way cooler than the car. 😎

It appears that my grandpa bought the car in 1954 and owned that thing almost 70 years which as @xj_nate pointed out is the exact opposite of my vehicle ownership style.

My cousin just inherited is moms 72 Challenger. Had the original title. Same with him just wanted to keep the title, DMV said they don’t really let you keep the title. Then the worker said I don’t remember seeing it, here’s an app for a duplicate title. Pretty cool