Your Pic of The Day

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Teton Dam. Did you go to the museum too? Those were both stops on an anniversary trip we took several years ago. Super cool. And yes, I have a super understanding and patient wife. And I'm a nerd, especially because I worked in the industry. Did you know that Soldier Creek dam (Strawberry reservoir) was built at the same time and was the same design? It was filling when Teton broke. :oops: So they stopped filling it and did a major design review and added a giant drain tunnel as well as drilling a bunch of drains feeding into the new drain tunnel and the existing outlet tunnel. Then when they finally did fill it, they went VERY slowly. (re-started filling in 85, didn't finish until 98).
Correct! You win a beer! Please go to your nearest BeWilder Brewing and tell the bartender to put it on Cody McKendrick's tab. ;)
We didn't stop at the museum, unfortunately. We were coming home from spending some time up in Montana, and I don't think my 2-year old would have handled the museum. My father-in-law actually has some interesting stories about going up to Rexburg with a church group to help them dig out after the flood.
Man, just looking at pictures of the dam bursting is both fascinating and heart wrenching:
5811723977_b1ef3a8cdd_b.jpg

These are some good articles published for the 40th anniversary of the disaster, if anyone is interested:

Interesting period documentary made by UP&L:

The Teton Dam site had been on my list of places to visit for awhile. I've long been fascinated by dams and other water infrastructure. Comes from watching Jordanelle Dam being built as a kid. My wife is also super patient, we actually stopped at Grand Coulee on our honeymoon :D.
I did know that they refilled Strawberry slowly after completing the Soldier Creek Dam because of what happened at Teton, but I didn't know all the rest of that information. Very interesting, thanks.

Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
The Sidney airport is the only place I've ever been hassled by security.
Hope you have a good time down there, its a fantastic country!

We've had no issues so far with security. I'm posting this at 4:40 am (I usually wake up at 5:30-5:45) so we are adjusting to the time difference a bit. We ate lunch yesterday here. 20230907_134812.jpg

Came back for a 1 hour nap and had crashed for 5 hours. Spent 90 minutes planning today and Saturday, then crashed again another 6-7 hours.

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
Replace the sprinter?
It is a Ford Transit but yes, I will be selling it after some work is done.
Wait a minute… sumptin different…
I’ll be making a post about this one, just need to get some time behind the computer. It was over a month of 10+ hour days to get it built.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Now that she is no longer in high school, the LJ got passed on to her sister Ashlee. With a lot of my (bad) influence and help she picked this up last night. Has quite a bit of aftermarket parts and is FAST! I know nothing about sporty cars and am excited to play with this. We want to learn to auto cross.

IMG_4467.jpeg

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Now that she is no longer in high school, the LJ got passed on to her sister Ashlee. With a lot of my (bad) influence and help she picked this up last night. Has quite a bit of aftermarket parts and is FAST! I know nothing about sporty cars and am excited to play with this. We want to learn to auto cross.

View attachment 163743
I love the Kappa platform. Is it a GXP?
Edit: zoomed in, it is a GXP. Awesome! That was the hottest trim level available in the US. The only one better was the Opel GT variant in Europe. Super cool and underrated cars. Had they just come out a few years before or after the financial crisis rather than smack dab in the middle, I think they would have been a success.

Last edited: