Yukon Grizzly Locker Rockwell 2.5 ton....AVAILABLE!!

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
So I got 2 of the brand new Yukon Grizzly Lockers for my Rockwells. This thread is going to cover a basic install and a ongoing review of what I think about them.

First off I am VERY excited to finally get lockers. I have been welded front and back since I threw the Rockwells under. Honestly the welded spiders were fine on the trail but it was SO hard on my tires. Driving on the street was impossible. I had to use the rear steer to make a normal corner. The tires would turn fine but it would just scrub straight. Hopefully the lockers will help this problem and make my new tires last a little longer.

So here are the new parts!
Grizzlylocker012.jpg

Grizzlylocker013.jpg

Grizzlylocker014.jpg

Grizzlylocker016.jpg

My first impression was they look as high of quality or better than a Detroit. The finish is nice and I am very happy with them.

Here is what they are going in if you dont know what I have
Grizzlylocker017.jpg

Short spec list;
78 IH Scout traveller
460 Ford running propane
c6, 205m Black Box underdrive
2 steering Rockwells with full hyrdo
47x20 Pitbull Growlers
4 links front and rear

I will be installing these in my driveway and I have very minimal tools. Thats the way I have built the whole stupid thing tho :D
before
Grizzlylocker018.jpg

mmmmmm.......Rockwell soup. I think I am going to replace my axle seals while everything is apart. Im considering getting some 1 piece boots to but I dont know if I will have enough cash right now.
Grizzlylocker019.jpg

Getting the chunk out by myself with the axle still installed and no engine hoist was fun....I used a couple ratchet straps front and back under the chunk and to the frame. It wasnt easy but it worked. Its not going to work putting it back in tho
Grizzlylocker020.jpg

ChestonScout

So here is the carrier and the welded spiders
Grizzlylocker021.jpg

Grizzlylocker022.jpg

Grizzlylocker023.jpg

set the locker into place
Grizzlylocker024.jpg

bolted the 2 halves back together
Grizzlylocker025.jpg

Dont forget to remove the bolt and washers AFTER the locker is installed :homer:
Grizzlylocker026.jpg

Grizzlylocker027.jpg

and the OH so fun safety wire
Grizzlylocker028.jpg

Its ready to go back in the chunk!
Grizzlylocker029.jpg

That was all the work I got done today. Ive got a RC comp tomorrow afternoon so I doubt I will get anything done on it tomorrow. I will hopefully get the front axle all back together by wednesday then on to the back axle.

I would like this to be somewhat of a tech thread so if you have any questions please post up and we will see what we can do to answer them. Also, Im always open to constructive criticizm. If Im doing something wrong let me know. This is only the third time Ive been in a Rockwell so Im no pro.

These Grizzly lockers are about $400 each from Randy's Ring and Pinion and someone is selling them on ebay for $389. The Detroits on ebay are $575 each so these Yukons are a great deal.

I dont know what they did different but apparently they arent supposed to blow up side gears if you bust a shaft like a Detroit does.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
heh, nice safety wiring, Bucky. :D So anyway those look pretty good. I am impressed that you got that chunk out w/out a hoist, they aren't the lightest thing ever. :eek:

nice write up and i think for the price you cant beat the quality. a little tech i will add, install your seals before you put the chunk back in. you can pop the seal retainers with the chunk in but a specail or a home made puller is needed. i was suprised how well mine were in there ( the retainer plate's ).

i took a decent sized pipe and slid it threw the housing ends. put my hands on it threw the hole for the chunk and hit it that way. if i had a longer pipe i would have gone from one end to the other, but again you need the chunk out.

jason.

oh and if you were closer i would say i would buy your old spiders, save me a step on welding mine. plus one of my chunks looks like it sat with water in the bowl for a few hundred years.

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
install your seals before you put the chunk back in. you can pop the seal retainers with the chunk in but a specail or a home made puller is needed. i was suprised how well mine were in there ( the retainer plate's ).

i took a decent sized pipe and slid it threw the housing ends. put my hands on it threw the hole for the chunk and hit it that way. if i had a longer pipe i would have gone from one end to the other, but again you need the chunk out.

jason.

This is the truth! Mine had to be coerced out in this manner too, with the help of a B.F.H. :D

Also, these seals are awesome! (not cheap, but awesome).
http://www.customoff-road.com/index.php?id=custom_products

Thanks for posting up Cheston. Go flog the Scout and let us know how they hold up. :greg:

ChestonScout

I have a long piece of rebar that I am going to try to use. It should be able to go thru the whole housing.

I even already have two seals. I bought one of the seal/boot kits from RedRiver. The boots lasted about 2 months so I wouldnt recommend their stuff. Hopefully the seals are a little better.

Im thinking I am going to slap the front axle back together and go try it out this saturday. Its supposed to be like 70. Perfect wheeling! I will post up for sure

ChestonScout

Was it cheaper than the detroit.Do you know if they offer them for the 14bolt and D60?

The Detroit for the Rockwell is about 575.

These are about 400 so yes there is a nice price difference.

They are making them for the 14 bolt right now and I think the 60s are in the works.

Here is the link for the 14 bolt
http://www.ringpinion.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=8159
Not bad for $389!!

Check out what I just found to! I didnt know they were doing this! I might have to call them back up!

http://www.ringpinion.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=8591

$50 for a lifetime gaurantee on you locker????? Thats a bargain

I think its awesome that Yukon is making a whole bunch of new parts for different applications.

ChestonScout

Mitch came over and helped tonight so we got the front axle all back together with new seals! I decided Im going to have to wait to buy new boots. Just no money.

I spaced taking pics of the step by step so I just snapped this one after we were done :-\

It was cool tho....I jacked up one wheel and tried to spin it. At first it wouldnt but then it let go and would spin. I stopped it and spun it hard and it locked up. I think it is going to work very well!

So the plan is to take it out this saturday and put a few miles on the front one. I will install the back locker sometime next week

Attachments

• Grizzly locker.jpg
    Grizzly locker.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 11

ChestonScout

oh man! I wish I could.

We are doing double time saturday. Going to be wheeling and doing my wifes maternity pics at the same time.

I married well...lol

If my work keeps busy which it is looking like it might.....I want to go to Moab for Thanksgiving.

Take a lot of pics and post a report!

ChestonScout

Finally got the new radiator finished up tonight so I drove the Scout around the neighborhood.

The locker is working perfect!!!!!!

I can actually turn corners now! There is a cultisac where I used to have to use the rear steer to make it around and it does it with 4 feet to spare now!

So I threw it in 4 wheel. It locked up instantly when I hit the gas. No noise so I thought it didnt engage until I turned the wheel and they tires started barking.

So far Im very impressed. I cant wait to get to Moab in a couple days!

ChestonScout

I did make it back but not by choice! Wish I was still there for sure.

The locker worked flawlessly. I could turn way easier just heading down the trail but everytime I touched the throttle, both tires spun. I never heard it engage once.

I think it is a VERY good locker. Especially for the price.

We ran Green Day and Hellderado. It was a blast!

Stupid me never even pulled my camera out of my bag. There were lots of people taking pics so Im waiting for some of me to post up.

I am SO glad I got these lockers! Now I just need to get the one in the rear axle to!

ChestonScout

Here is a few pics. Thanks to Kamie Hair for posting them.

Attachments

• BFE 11-7-09 5.jpg
    BFE 11-7-09 5.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 12
  • BFE 11-7-09.jpg
    BFE 11-7-09.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 14
  • BFE 11-7-09 2.jpg
    BFE 11-7-09 2.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 12
  • BFE 11-7-09 3.jpg
    BFE 11-7-09 3.jpg