Ford 1978 Bronco Build/Repairs

Raleigh

OMF Dave
Thought I would start my own thread rather than cluttering up Hoosiers:thumbs:

Any how I have a '78 Bronco, got it in June when it looked like this:
bronco1.jpg

Got a new bumper and grill for the front, replaced the rear main and oil pan gasket,
valve cover gaskets and rear axle seals and bearings.

Next was the lift which started as a 6" kit and 37" TSL tires

Well on the first trip out the rear axle wrapped.
This was not a difficult trail, what happened was the factory angle shim broke in half!
This destroyed the rear driveline.

first thing when when I got home was to get rid of all block forever!
Shackle flip it is then, no I have no blocks at all and perfect pinion angle.

Next it was time to get rid of the annoying carb. Found a Holley Pro-jection TBI for $300.
Once it has been tuned the system works great, bit of a pain to tune though.

Now it is time to get rid of the crappy stock tie rod and drag link that are worn out anyhow.
dscn0114.jpg

Since this was done I have flipped to over the knuckle and high misaligment bushings from Ruff Stuff.

dscn0125.jpg

And this is where I am now, this past weekend I found a small coolant leak from the back of the engine.
Did some looking and couldn't find anything, still have not seen it leak, but it is.
On the 400 M block the coolant is not run throught the intake manifold, so that leaves only one option.
The head gasket on the passenger side.

I am going to try to round up the parts this morning and maybe get out of work early, I hope to get the
gaskets done this afternoon. While I am at it I figured I may as well replace the water pump that
has been making some noise when it is cold and take care of the oil leak from the timing chain cover.

I love this old beast, but I can't wait for the day when I don't have to do any work to it!!

Last edited:

LT.

I am not much for the full sized Broncos but, I really like how you are building this rig. A little at a time all the while keeping it a streetable rig at the same time. Job well done. Keep up the updates.

LT.

Raleigh

OMF Dave
Did the head gaskets today, found a weird situation.

The valley pan was full of coolant, that is where the leak was, I can only guess that the head gasket was leaking on the rear corner and seeping under the intake mani....

Raleigh

OMF Dave
Broke my track bar on Saturday!
dscn0175.jpg

Temp fix to get me home
dscn0185.jpg

Good thing I had the extra heims on board!

Josh has the Bronco and doing some fab work, a new dropped track bar mount and maybe a new track bar if needed.

hoosier

mtn yot
Sure i need about 10 more hours a day. full time school, full time work, and a single dad is kinda wraping out my days right now. I am hopeing to get off early tomarrow
and get it done. I was hopeing to start the SAS last weekend but that was kinda a bust thanks though