Ford 1978 Bronco Build/Repairs

Raleigh

OMF Dave
Started having some odd issues this week, a couple of times it hesitated then died while driving.
This morning on the way to work it backfired a few times and was not running well at all.
I thought maybe it skipped a tooth on the timing chain, it didn't. But it did have about 1/2" to 3/4" of deflection.

After all of the backfiring my O2 sensor is dead.

I replaced the chain and gears, engine runs great! It responds much better, and feels stronger and smoother.
It is running rich due to the dead O2 sensor, I hope this solves the problem.

broncomitch

dont be a sheep in a jeep
how much?

Axles are not the most ideal to have..
But that's ideal for the motor/tranny swap.

But you can part the truck out and scrap the rest to pay for the parts you will need.

Raleigh

OMF Dave
$3k, I would like to have a kingpin but I don't want to spend $1k on just an axle when I can get the whole truck for 3. But it is a 60 and with the type of radius arm I will be using it won't matter that the short tube is really short.

I will probably use the front seats as well for now, they are in pretty good shape. Not sure what else I will use, I will have to wait and see where it goes.

Raleigh

OMF Dave
Crap, i will have do some research! I thought they put 60s under all of the 350s...

If it is a 50 I am not sure if I will just forget about it or not, I have seen some 96/97 F350s and they for sure have the 60 under them.

I did however find this and am waiting a response from ARB on the issue:

To be worth the effort and to rightly position it as a viable option between the Dana 44 and Dana 60, the Dana 50 needed 35-spline axleshafts. Jason presented the predicament to ARB, and the two eventually worked together to produce a solution. The ARB Air Locker offers the ability to interchange the spline side gears, so the same unit can be used in the same differential should a customer decide to install larger axleshafts. On this premise, 35-spline side gears were installed in the Dana 50 ARB, along with a set of 35-spline 'shafts.

Read more: http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/tech/0501_4wd_dana_60/index.html#ixzz1iytI7wzY

Last edited:

thenag

Crap, i will have do some research! I thought they put 60s under all of the 350s...

If it is a 50 I am not sure if I will just forget about it or not, I have seen some 96/97 F350s and they for sure have the 60 under them.

I did however find this and am waiting a response from ARB on the issue:

I would think it was a d50. seems like Ford did that crap whenever they switched. 80-84-ish got a ttb front end before they went back to the d60.

(I may have told you this the other day) I picked up my rolled 96 f350 with seized engine for $3900 that was back in 2001.

remember the superduty's will have the metric 8 lug bolt pattern which means you will have to run a super duty rear end. (so no 14 bolt for you...)

of course the 05 and up will already have radius arm mounts and coil buckets, but won't have the 7.3L for you...

nathan

Raleigh

OMF Dave
Here is the response I got from ARB

Hi Dave,
that old article used a set of custom wire EDM cut side gears to accept the 35 spline shafts as the size difference between the side gears in a dana 50 and Dana 60 gear do not make them interchangeable. That said, a newer 2 piece version of the Dana 50 will be out in the next couple of months and that updated unit will accept the 35 spline side gears used in our competition Dana 44. Cost wise it would be cheaper to wait for the new version and buy the needed side gears to make it work then to modify the older RD50 model. It will also be much stronger.

I think I will continue with the plan to purchase the truck, I will need a locker anyhow, and I can get D60 inner shafts to replace the weak 30 spline D50 shafts...

Any opinions?

Kurt if you read this do you have any input being the ARB guru that you are?

Last edited:

Raleigh

OMF Dave
I would think it was a d50. seems like Ford did that crap whenever they switched. 80-84-ish got a ttb front end before they went back to the d60.

(I may have told you this the other day) I picked up my rolled 96 f350 with seized engine for $3900 that was back in 2001.

remember the superduty's will have the metric 8 lug bolt pattern which means you will have to run a super duty rear end. (so no 14 bolt for you...)

of course the 05 and up will already have radius arm mounts and coil buckets, but won't have the 7.3L for you...

nathan
I don't mind so much about the 7.3, the 6.0 is a good motor too, but I doubt I will find one for 3K with a perfectly good engine and ZF5 trans.

Raleigh

OMF Dave
So I found this the other day on KSL

I think I will just put this body on the super duty frame and make it my DD/tow rig and make my current rig a trail only rig!

Raleigh

OMF Dave
Wow haven't posted on this for a long time!

It took a bit of a turn when the F350 fell through, it is now a resto mod project.
I have a set of F350 SD axles under it now, the frame and brackets have been powder coated.
The body is off and I am working on the suspension right now.
rearaxle5.jpg

lowerlinks2.jpg

rabracket5.jpg

rabracket4.jpg

frame7.jpg

driverquarter2.jpg

passquarter1.jpg

And a few parts thanks to Carl
upperlink1.jpg

Raleigh

OMF Dave
Thanks Carl

Got the bushings in and painted the lower links.
I will get the shock tabs and heims Thursday or Friday and finish these up this weekend.
radiusarms4.jpg

radiusarms6.jpg

Raleigh

OMF Dave
Charcoal and Silver two tone.
The dent on the side and around the tailgate, the raised portion of the hood and the top will be Charcoal.
The rest of the will be silver.

1TonTom

Poser Offroad Bronco
Well I got to see this rig and all I can say is WOW!!! it looks great and I can't wait to see it finished!!! oh and nice to meet ya in person Dave :)