4l60e disassemble?

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I need to take the trans apart to replace the output shaft. Any comments? Anyone know of where I could find a manual or instructions? I'd kind of like to do it myself, but I understand if it's above my means and might take it to a tranny place to do....

anvil

The ATSG manuals are excellent. I used one to rebuild a 700R4. The first one takes a while, but it's not hard. You have to take everything out to replace the outputshaft then stack it all back in. The special tools can all be made pretty easy with a welder and decent pile of junk. If you have an engine stand you can weld up an adapter so it will hold your transmission. You want to hold it with the output facing down. If your adapter grabs the tranny by the bosses on the sides it will allow you to rotate the transmission too. I could take a picture of the one I made if that would help. There's a ton of snap rings, so you'll need snap ring pliers. I like the proto ones from grainger. They are cheap and made for one size only (no adjustable tips that break).
Goodluck!

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
For my money and time and frustration, I'd take it to a "guy I know", if you've got one of those. :D

There are a lot of little parts in there. :D

jsudar

X2 on the ATSG manual. That's the one I would get. They can usually be found on Ebay for around $20.

I would say it's something you can tackle yourself. Since you are only replacing the output, you wont have to tear everything down-- the pump assembly and the whole front half of the tranny can stay together. The output shaft "shouldn't" change any important clearances, so you can put it back together exactly the way you took it apart and you should be fine.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I bought a book from TCI - same one? I also bought a TCI sun shell - knowing the OEM's are very weak and failure prone....

I've never been in a tranny before. Well, I take that back. I rebuilt a 350 back in HS...24? years ago...:ugh: I'd really hate to mess it up. But at the same time, I'd really hate to pay ~$200 for someone else to do something that I could have done myself. Not to mention, they could mess it up, too :D

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Why do you need to change the output shaft? Just a guess, but if you have a 4wd transmission and you need a 2wd output shaft for the speed sensor, AA has a bolt on tone ring which will allow you to keep your 4wd shaft.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Why do you need to change the output shaft? Just a guess, but if you have a 4wd transmission and you need a 2wd output shaft for the speed sensor, AA has a bolt on tone ring which will allow you to keep your 4wd shaft.

Cuz Vic said I do :D

Seriously, I have no idea... I'm keeping my stock Rubicon transfer case, so maybe that's it?

It is a 4x4 tranny... 08 Silverado 1500...

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
The output shaft of the 4L has 27 splines. The input shaft of the 241 has 23 splines. Your adapter kit should come with a new output shaft that has 23 splines so it will spline right up with the t-case. It's lame because you have to install it, but great becase it makes for a much shorter adapter, so it's worth it.
I was thinking you were going to use a Stak or Atlas.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
The output shaft of the 4L has 27 splines. The input shaft of the 241 has 23 splines. Your adapter kit should come with a new output shaft that has 23 splines so it will spline right up with the t-case. It's lame because you have to install it, but great becase it makes for a much shorter adapter, so it's worth it.
I was thinking you were going to use a Stak or Atlas.

I was just gonna say, you're answering your own question! lol

Nope, keeping the Rubicon tcase... I can't think of any reason not to? I already have it and it's plenty strong enough....

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Nope, keeping the Rubicon tcase... I can't think of any reason not to? I already have it and it's plenty strong enough....

Front digs is about the only functional advantage a different 'case would gain you, which isn't enough of a difference to warrant the change.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Front digs is about the only functional advantage a different 'case would gain you, which isn't enough of a difference to warrant the change.

I agree.. And not for $2k :D The wife is already pissy about what I'm spending on this engine swap. I'd be sleeping in the cold if she found that I spent another ~$2k on a tcase that I didn't 'need' :-\

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I was just gonna say, you're answering your own question! lol

Well if I talk to myself long enough I tend to answer my own questions...people think I'm wierd.:eek:

Good move keeping the 241, but that's not a cheap adapter!

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Well if I talk to myself long enough I tend to answer my own questions...people think I'm wierd.:eek:

Good move keeping the 241, but that's not a cheap adapter!

It's cheaper than an Atlas :D Vic knowing this was for my personal rig, took REAL good care of me on my order... ;) I already have everything but my radiator and fan, and those are supposed to ship from the manufacture in AZ today.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Just to update...

Last weekend I used the ATSG service manual from TCI and replaced the output shaft and I also installed a new TCI sun shell while I was in there - knowing the the stock one is weak.

It was fairly easy for never doing it before. The only part that was of any difficulty, was lining up the clutches when putting it back together. Of course I haven't driven it yet, so who knows if I got it right :D