5.3L swap questions

jsudar

I'm getting ready to yank out the TBI 350 from my fullsize Blazer and pump in a gen III 5.3l and 4L60E. I have a couple of questions before I yank out a perfectly good running motor.

I need a VSS. I don't really want to run the electronically shifted T case that is currently on the 4L60E, but my NP241 doesn't have a VSS, just the mechanical speedo. If I manage to track a NP241 from a later model with an electronic speedo, will that be the right pulse count to work with the Gen III stuff?

My other option is a doubler. I have everything I need to build a doubler (less the adapter itself,) is there a way to put a VSS on an NP205?

Next, where is the passive anti-theft module located? I am assuming I have a transponder key, but I don't know what modules I need to take from the 99 and stick into the 89.

I won't be using the electronic transfer case, ABS and several other worthless electronic gadgets, so will I have all sorts of check engine light issues? I don't have the money for aftermarket wiring harnesses or stand alone computers-- I need to stick with the factory stuff I already have.

I'm not a complete idiot when it comes to EFI, but I worked at a Ford dealer, so I know next to nothing about GM stuff.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
AA makes an adapter that takes the 4 bolt round to the 6 bolt round. That adapter houses a speed sensor as well. They give you a bolt on reloctor ring that slips over the output shaft of the trans and bolts in place. That adaptor is about 2 inches think if I remember right. Then you can use any of thier other adapters to mount up the tcase of your choise.
Not sure about the anti-theft issue. I don't believe the 5.3 engine computer or harness had anything to do with the anti-theft. If it does, it will just be deleated during your computer tune.
With your check engine lights, are you talking about your original tcase, abs, ect or the 5.3 stuff? Everything that you will not be using from the 5.3 will be deleated when you do your ecm tune.

Dont worry about being an idiot. Everyone has to drop thier IQ to work on Fords. You'll see it start to come back up as you work on the chevy stuff. :D

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Let's see if I answer all of your questions:

Proper PCM tuning is the answer to most of them. In the tune I can change the VSS pulse count, disable ABS, anti theft, etc. FWIW I charge $150 to tune GM PCM's for life of the PCM. You want to change anything in the future, and it's shipping costs only.

Yes, you can add a VSS to a NP205. I've heard of kits, but couldn't tell you where to get one. Google? I believe the ones I've tuned have been 4 count per rev. GM stock is 40 per rev.

jsudar

I'm just going off what I know from messing with Fords-- sometimes they put the anti theft in the instrument cluster, the PCM, the anti-theft module-- where ever they felt like. I didn't do to much tuning, mostly fixing. I think I'll have to give Wayne a call. $150 sounds like a great price.

If he can adjust the pulse count per revolution, I have several ideas I can try for the VSS.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I'm just going off what I know from messing with Fords-- sometimes they put the anti theft in the instrument cluster, the PCM, the anti-theft module-- where ever they felt like. I didn't do to much tuning, mostly fixing. I think I'll have to give Wayne a call. $150 sounds like a great price.

If he can adjust the pulse count per revolution, I have several ideas I can try for the VSS.

Not sure about Ford tunes, but in the GM tune I can disable anti theft and make it a non issue.

I know there are anti theft fixes out on the interweb, but this is much easier :D

As for the VSS, I can set it to anything from 1 pulse per rev to 100.:cool:

jpndave

There is a product available that will add a VSS to the normal mechanical speedo output while keeping the existing mechanical speedo. I think it is $80-90. this will work for a manual or non-electrically shifted transmission. For the 4L60E, another solution will need to be utilized. I can talk you through the solution but you will need a 40 tooth ruluctor ring and a VSS between the transmission and transfer case. Which style of 4L60E do you have, 4 or 6 bolt tail? Cost for this is ~$160 if I remember correctly ($80 each for the sensor and ring) or it is integrated into the adapter.

The Tune will take care of all the VATS and other issues. You can eliminate the VSS altogether with a tune on a manual or non electric shift trans but it will run better if you include it. Again, it is essential on the 4L60E and it HAS to be in between the trans and transfer case.