7MGE Swap update

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
WHAT!?!?! But it's practically DONE! You're supposed to say "next weekend" or something like that. What you need is a deadline that you have to meet. Always seems to light a fire under me...

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
OK, fine! It'll be done..... next weekend! :D

Actually, my plan is to sacrifice my current DD for the needed parts. Inorder for that to happen, I need a new DD. I've been looking, but haven't found what I want yet.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Originally posted by Greg
OK, fine! It'll be done..... next weekend! :D

Actually, my plan is to sacrifice my current DD for the needed parts. Inorder for that to happen, I need a new DD. I've been looking, but haven't found what I want yet.

Got bicycle? :p

Glad to hear it's gonna be done! You going to make it to moab at the end of this month?

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Doesn't sounds like there's any reason for him not to make it. After all, it'll be back on the road next weekend! :rofl:

Greg

Admin
Originally posted by Herzog
Got bicycle? :p

Glad to hear it's gonna be done! You going to make it to moab at the end of this month?

Yeah, a bike with 400cc of pedal power. Just gotta get it registered. (The story of my life...)

I doubt it... It all depends on when I can find a new DD. :( I'm honestly shooting to have it running by the end of Sept.

Originally posted by RockMonkey
Doesn't sounds like there's any reason for him not to make it. After all, it'll be back on the road next weekend! :rofl:

Uh-huh... So you coming over this morning or this afternoon to help. :D

robrocketanski

well i am just posting in this thread b/c i am so happy i got my rusted out 87 supra.
the engine is going to an 88 cressida (which is my first and probably only worthwhile tip- cressidas are the same except auto trans only but a good source of engine) so i am getting the engine out of the cressida and hope to rebuild that. if not at least i have the rest of the parts.

i am going to try using the radiator from the supra- its aluminum and the hose positions match. just need to cut the mounts off the donor and weld them on as needed:)

i am also taking the seats for my dd 4runner- power and power lumbar oooooh aaaaaah and they are brown while my 91 project is grey oh well the 4runner sees alot more sitting the project is just there to keep my bank account from existing:D

i dont expect to have it done until next spring, which from past experience means about 8 months after that.
:D

Greg

Admin
I made a little more progress over the week. I have to say that working on an engine swap from the same brand of vehicle makes some things really easy.

Example- Wiring the starter. The connections are the exact same between the Supra & the Pickup! I do need to extend the Hot Wire & Switch, since the starters are on opposite sides of the Block. I'm just excited because that means that I'll have that much less wiring to mess with. (Hopefully the Alternator is the same way!!)

Other thing's I've iorned out, but not totally completed....
  • Throttle Cable- Using the Supra cable, it seems to bolt right up.
  • Radiator- I decided to use a 6 Cyl Radiator. 1 More Row & more coolant capacity than the 4 Cyl Rad.
  • Cooling- I'm going to run 1, 16" Elec fan, instead of 2, 10"s.

Not a whole lot new, since I was trying to get it running this weekend. But, any progress is good, in my book. :)

Greg

Admin
More progress last night, even more to come the rest of this week.

• Starter & Alternator are in.
  • Throttle Cable is hooked up.
  • A/C Compressor FITS and is in!

I've decided to move the battery to the other side, since it'll make wiring that much easier & allow room for the Air Filter & AFM. I pulled out the Charcol Canister & some of the un-used 4 Cyl wiring. Currently I'm working on routing the high-pressure Fuel Line, it needs to run to the opposite side of where it currently sits.

I was working on the Radiator mounting, but I think I'll leave that untill I need it.

I am totally stoked that the AC Compressor fits! I was told that it wouldn't go in because there isn't enough room, due to the Steering Box proximity. There's about 1/4" of room, hopefully the motor mounts are tight enough to keep them from not hitting. Once the motor is running, I'll get the AC Pump running for On Board Air, using the kit from FROR. :D

Now, we'll see what I can do over the next few days..... ;)

Greg

Admin
More progress, just posting pics to keep the Swap Info complete. :)

New Crossmember, Radiator Hoop & Rad. Mounting Brackets-

Attachments

• RadiatorHoop3.jpg
    RadiatorHoop3.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 57
  • RadiatorHoop.jpg
    RadiatorHoop.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 38
  • RadiatorHoop2.jpg
    RadiatorHoop2.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 39

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
You need to start a thread like super did in General just to keep us updated. Nice to see you two coming along.

Hickey said:
I 've had VERY good results with Jmac radiator.

I had a very good experience with them but I just bought a new radiator, didn't have any work done. Anyway, they seemed to be cool and were very professional. Again, I didn't have any work done though.

Greg

Admin
James K said:
Greg you said that you needed to have the neck on the radiator, but could you adjust the mounting of the rad to clear the serpentine belt?

The radiator really can't move up, down, in or out. It's about perfect where it is, so cutting & repositioning the upper neck makes the most sense to me.

;)

suv

Booty-fab Instructor
You got an update, Greg? I noticed in your bumper thread that the engine swap looks done, but maybe not. I'm curious to find out how the thing drives!!! I'm considering the same swap.