A Plea For HELP! To Anyone Within A Reasonable Distance Of American Fork Canyon

EB101

Now if anyone's awake on this still and you could use more help, I'm happy to run up in the AM too. Winch with a long cable, several straps and chains and snatch blocks are what I can offer. Oh and some experience.. Many years ago I had a full size chev drop over the edge on a dugway and high centered on the diffs. A freind was driving it as we had just recovered my jeep (a whole other story). We had two trucks hook directly to the front tow hooks, one with a short strap, one with a long cable. I hooked behind with my jeep at about 15 feet. We litterally stretched it between us and back up onto the road while driving it forward too.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
At this point I think the more the merrier as long as everyone is ok with their rig not being the ones used in the recovery. What I'm saying is once we get up there and get a game plan we need to take a look at what rigs and what equipment we have available and make a decision then on whose rigs need to go up and be part of the recovery, this will obviously be based on rig weight, winch capacity and experience. The heavier the rig the better and obviously the bigger the winch the better, experience is something that can be worked around because we will have plenty of people with good experience to help guide what needs to be done especially with Bart running the operation.

As long as everyone that shows up to help and or watch knows that Bart is the one in charge and is willing to listen to his commands, I believe everyone will be safe and we will get this rig off this mounting without rolling and everyone will come home safe. I know we already have enough competent experience committed to get this done.

Whatever the outcome this will be an awesome RME story, so many people jumping to the aid of a fellow wheeler that most of us have never met is just so cool.

I'm gonna point out that we are at almost 270 posts at this point and I don't even know how many views, the fact that so many people are keeping tabs on this thread and how many people we have that are willing to join in the "fun" is just awesome.

RogueJeepr

Here!
Is there a way to just point it down hill and get to the trail down below. I know it sounds crazy but I had to do this the first time I was at rattlesnake. I took a trail I believed would exit on the other side of the mountain. The trail turned into broken slate and turned left and then it went really steep and I couldn't back out (spinning/sliding down hill) so I kept it pointed straight down and made a "bonzia run" till it leveled out then found the main road I thought I was on. I kept it from rolling but it was scary (wished I had the camera) kind of thing .
Well im sure its been said already since this thread is sooo huge. Good luck guys .:)

Last edited:

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Good luck to everyone on Friday. Unfortunately I can't make it due to work to offer grunt work but if anyone needs me to pick up supplies from you in the valley I could do that. If Kevin has space I can drop it off with him so he can take it up there.

i do have a 15 or 20 lb sledge hammer and about 30 or 40' of 4" wide recovery strap I can let you guys borrow if needed. I can also drop it off with Kevin.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Brian, are you going for sure? I volunteer to edit the video footage if anyone wants to film. The more angles the better , just stay out of everyone's way. Or if someone else wants to edit it, even better.

Your GoPro, Brian's GoPro, my Contour, plus however many cell cameras, I think we'll have some video footage for you to edit. :)

I have a 5000 watt generator, but it would need to find its way up in the bed of a pick. I won't be able to fit it in the JK with the other stuff.

The Grey Bastard does a really good imitation of a pickup. Let me know if you need me to swing by your place on the way up.

At this point I think the more the merrier as long as everyone is ok with their rig not being the ones used in the recovery. What I'm saying is once we get up there and get a game plan we need to take a look at what rigs and what equipment we have available and make a decision then on whose rigs need to go up and be part of the recovery, this will obviously be based on rig weight, winch capacity and experience. The heavier the rig the better and obviously the bigger the winch the better, experience is something that can be worked around because we will have plenty of people with good experience to help guide what needs to be done especially with Bart running the operation.

As long as everyone that shows up to help and or watch knows that Bart is the one in charge and is willing to listen to his commands, I believe everyone will be safe and we will get this rig off this mounting without rolling and everyone will come home safe. I know we already have enough competent experience committed to get this done.

Yup. Gonna be hard to know what's what until we get there, I still recommend staging at the base of that first tailings pile until we know exactly which trucks are needed uphill and where the turnaround spots are. In addition to big heavy beasties with winches, we're going to need passenger and cargo capacity to get everyone and all the gear up there - that's a fair hike and I ain't doin' it with 50 pounds of straps and shovels :D.

I'll be bringing a 5 gallon water jug and a cooler of frozen water bottles. I'm betting we're going to want at least another 5 gallons of water?

EB101

Re-reading the thread I just realized Friday is the day and not the 4th. I'm out but am happy to lend up snatch blocks, chains and straps. I'd even lend out my Bronco to the right person. The 8274 has 125 of rope and will power both in and out. Bart if you need anything let me know, I'm happy to meet you up near the mouth of the canyon to hand stuff off Friday before work too.
-Steve

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Lets jump on the hammer drill and generator. I will not weld on the T, but will turn the end down to under 3/4". How long does the 3/4" need to be? 1-2 inches maybe, or more. I will bring welding gear to weld the T on at the sight if we decide we want it when we get there.

This is going to be a good time, and I'm impressed with all the guys coming out and the offers for help. I think by now it's safe to say we have more then enough gear lined up to get this job done.

Samersen

I have emails the bosses to check about a day off on Friday. Normally no problem but I am taking all next week off for a family trip. I work in Orem and have straps, blocks, d rings, winch, and chains.
I don't think it will take until after work but if t does I have huge lights on my jeep and can bring work lights. All if you are still there after work I will bring up water. This has to be one of the most intense threads I have ever read! I love rme!

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
Lets jump on the hammer drill and generator. I will not weld on the T, but will turn the end down to under 3/4". How long does the 3/4" need to be? 1-2 inches maybe, or more. I will bring welding gear to weld the T on at the sight if we decide we want it when we get there.

This is going to be a good time, and I'm impressed with all the guys coming out and the offers for help. I think by now it's safe to say we have more then enough gear lined up to get this job done.
3 inches of 3/4 would be just about right... this way the top of the hole will be on the stake and actually pound faster...

My gen set is really small and fit in the back of my LJ if that helps anyone...
I will be working Herriman today for 4 hours and then in west valley (2700w 3700 s the jubilee store) on friday... if anyone wants to pick these up I will have them with me... just txt me!

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
John, if you want to swing these by my house on your way to WVC, that would be great. I'm at 2700w and 6200s. Then I'll be able to make sure the posts fit in the drill. 8o1 9189784. Josh.

sixstringsteve

Those of you that are going to quarterly training day in 2 weeks, I'd love to have a few of you discuss what made this recovery a success, what you learned, and what you would have done differently.

jentzschman

Those of you that are going to quarterly training day in 2 weeks, I'd love to have a few of you discuss what made this recovery a success, what you learned, and what you would have done differently.

I love your optimism Steve. The second attempt has not been made yet and hes already calling it a success already! :)

Good luck guys. Wish I could help, but work calls.

MBD09

Willing to head up today (since i could not get anyone yesterday) to check on vehicle if i can get at least 1 other vehicle to go with me.

i don't imagine the rain would have made a difference but hopefully the ground did not become to soft.