AF Canyon evening/night ride? Sept 23rd

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
OK, I'll be headed up to Utah for NPLD the weekend after next. We've tossed the idea of a night ride around for a bit and I think now is the time before it gets much colder.

For this to work for me, it would have to happen on September 23rd, which is a Friday. I would like to start with a daylight/evening ride around 4 PM on the funner, more technical trails, then possibly take a break until the sun goes down. After it starts getting dark, I'd like to make a easier ride into the singletrack trails. I'm thinking that a ride from 8 PM to 10 PM would be great.

I don't have any special lighting, just my headlight. I'll work on fixing my tail/brake light before then. :eek:

Anyone up for a real challenge? :greg:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I'm up for it so long as I can get a better headlight system. Mine is great for the 10-50 ft range but I can't see a think right in front of my bike and high beam is even worse.

Caleb, what do you have for me :D

Caleb

I'd be game too, that's the day I go off-call (last one) so I may be tired, but I won't let that stop me from joining in on the fun :D

Kurt, I've really impressed with the one I'm currently running. It's the Trail Tech Torch X2 (http://trailtech.net/ktm-x2-kits.html). I bought the off road model, which has fantastic lighting, but isn't technically street legal. They do have the street legal version that they claim just has a clipped beam. I can get either for around $10-$15 off retail. These should be direct plugins for your bike, especially since you already have a light. I can get either version (for a direct plug-in) in orange or black and I can also get the off road version in white. If you want to check out mine, you're more than welcome to.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
I'm scheduled to work a night shift that Friday, so I'm out...

On the subject of lighting, glare off the front fender can be annoying. A matte black tape is a good temporary solution. If doing alot of night riding, many guys spray a flexible flat black paint. No need to do the whole fender and it doesn't have to look ghetto if taped off and applied nicely.

On a related note, painting the underside of your helmet visor is a good idea too.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
...Kurt, I've really impressed with the one I'm currently running. It's the Trail Tech Torch X2 (http://trailtech.net/ktm-x2-kits.html). I bought the off road model, which has fantastic lighting, but isn't technically street legal. They do have the street legal version that they claim just has a clipped beam. I can get either for around $10-$15 off retail. These should be direct plugins for your bike, especially since you already have a light. I can get either version (for a direct plug-in) in orange or black and I can also get the off road version in white. If you want to check out mine, you're more than welcome to.

Right on, lets do it:

Trail Tech Torch X2 Off-Road Part Number: 36T3A-70 - Price: $99.95
X2 Graphic Sticker: Trail Tech Orange Part Number: 3600-STT3 - $9.95
X2 Parts: Rock Guard Part Number: 3600-RG - $14.95

Want to hit me back with a total and I'll PP :D

Greg

Admin
Sounds like we should have a decent turnout!

Any suggestions on the best route for the night ride? Something with minimal exposure to big drop-offs would be a good start. :greg:

I'm tempted with the idea of one of those TrailTech lights, but I think the funds will dictate that I run what I have.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
Well I now have the day off so unless something comes up I'm IN :cool:

What are your guy's plans for that night? Camping? Anyone mind if I share some campfire?

sixstringsteve

Any suggestions on the best route for the night ride? Something with minimal exposure to big drop-offs would be a good start. :greg:

how about 40 to 152 to the summit parking lot, then down towards 41. 41 has those last few switchbacks that are nasty, but I don't think they'll be any tougher in the dark.

Or we could connect to the salamander flatts trail and come out on the road and drive down the pavement (assuming everyone is street legal).

Greg

Admin
Well I now have the day off so unless something comes up I'm IN :cool:

What are your guy's plans for that night? Camping? Anyone mind if I share some campfire?

I thought about camping, but the next day is NPLD and I'll be headed to 5 Mile Pass, so I'll be headed to stay with family that night after the ride.

how about 40 to 152 to the summit parking lot, then down towards 41. 41 has those last few switchbacks that are nasty, but I don't think they'll be any tougher in the dark.

Or we could connect to the salamander flatts trail and come out on the road and drive down the pavement (assuming everyone is street legal).

Sounds good to me... down 41 with the switchbacks would be fun in the dark. :D

sixstringsteve

I have a few spare bedrooms if anyone needs a place to stay that night. I live 10 min from the mouth of the canyon. I'll be at 5-mile on Saturday as well.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
After last nights ride I think I'll be taking the WR on the night ride haha the CR's headlight/glorified candle is for emergencies only :rofl:

Greg

Admin
Too bad guys, you're going to miss out!

I'm planning on it, just need to change the oil, put on the new front tire and lube the chain and I'm ready to go. :cool:

Caleb

I'm still planning on it, but I have a work party I need to attend, so I may only make the night ride, not the evening ride.