AF Canyon evening/night ride? Sept 23rd

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
There is a chance I have to work out at the MMP so I'm down to 50/50. Bike is ready to go though, the new X2 light rocks! Thanks Caleb!

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
I'm still planning on it, but I have a work party I need to attend, so I may only make the night ride, not the evening ride.

I have my new tires on with new tubes, oil is fresh and I am ready to go.

Up to 75%. Not sure I can swing 4pm but I can do the late shift :D

Excellent guys! I think the night ride is going to be a blast, I'm really looking forward to it.

So who is left that is going to make the pre-dark riding at 4 PM? Russ, myself... I have a friend that should be there too.

Caleb

I might have a friend or two coming up on the night ride, both of them need to fix their headlights and I don't know if they're too motivated to :p

As for where to meet, I've got a really fun loop if we start up top (Summit parking lot), however, I could still make the same loop work starting at the Reservoir. It's been a while since I've been up AFC, so I'm rusty on trails, but it would go something like (from the summit parking lot) 157 -> 173 -> (bonus section) 41 -> through Tibble parking lot -> 40 (end bonus section) -> 157 -> 252 -> Summit Parking lot. If we skip the bonus section, we'd go from 173 and catch the top half of 40 (the switch backs) and the rest would be the same. Alternatively, if we started in TF parking lot, we could run 40 -> 157 -> 252 -> 157 -> 173 -> 41 (or back to 40) and down. This is a fun loop in the daytime, I think at night it would be a blast. It's not real technical, just a couple spots where you head up some ~12" steps, etc. Early in the summer, you crossed three or four real good river crossings, this late in the season I bet there's only one or two small crossings.

With that said, I'm game to run whatever if someone already has a loop in mind. :D

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
I'll be there at 4:00 but can only ride a couple of hours. I have a 10k sat morn and don't want to over do it.

I'm ok to run any trail, I really like starting at tibble res and heading up 40, from there? Don't really matter.

Greg

Admin
I am bringing a friend and maybe my nephew. When and where are we meeting? I have never been up AF so keep that in mind

I would like to start and end at the Tibble Fork parking lot. My wife will be dropping me off and picking me up and she knows where that is and its easy to find.

I might have a friend or two coming up on the night ride, both of them need to fix their headlights and I don't know if they're too motivated to :p

As for where to meet, I've got a really fun loop if we start up top (Summit parking lot), however, I could still make the same loop work starting at the Reservoir. It's been a while since I've been up AFC, so I'm rusty on trails, but it would go something like (from the summit parking lot) 157 -> 173 -> (bonus section) 41 -> through Tibble parking lot -> 40 (end bonus section) -> 157 -> 252 -> Summit Parking lot. If we skip the bonus section, we'd go from 173 and catch the top half of 40 (the switch backs) and the rest would be the same. Alternatively, if we started in TF parking lot, we could run 40 -> 157 -> 252 -> 157 -> 173 -> 41 (or back to 40) and down. This is a fun loop in the daytime, I think at night it would be a blast. It's not real technical, just a couple spots where you head up some ~12" steps, etc. Early in the summer, you crossed three or four real good river crossings, this late in the season I bet there's only one or two small crossings.

With that said, I'm game to run whatever if someone already has a loop in mind. :D

I'm really up for anything, but my trail knowledge is very rusty. I know the main trails, but I don't know everything thats up there. I'm also up for whatever.

I'll be there at 4:00 but can only ride a couple of hours. I have a 10k sat morn and don't want to over do it.

I'm ok to run any trail, I really like starting at tibble res and heading up 40, from there? Don't really matter.

Sounds good to me, I like that plan. Meet at Tibble Fork at 4 PM, head up 40 into the good stuff.

sixstringsteve

man, you guys are really tempting me to make this ride...

The stream crossings are very minor now. It does get a little chilly up there at night now.

Caleb

I would like to start and end at the Tibble Fork parking lot. My wife will be dropping me off and picking me up and she knows where that is and its easy to find.

Greg, I should have an extra spot on my trailer, if you want, I'd be happy to give you a ride home.

How long will it take to get to Tibble from Kaysville?

I'd plan on probably an hour or so. From my house I can be there in about 30 mins and without traffic, I can be to your place in about 40-45, but 10-15 of that is getting from my house to the freeway.

man, you guys are really tempting me to make this ride...

The stream crossings are very minor now. It does get a little chilly up there at night now.

You know you want to do it Steve, even if you just come for the late ride like a lot of us :D So you're saying you don't have the forge the rivers like we did on the run earlier this year? :rofl:

So we'll plan to meet in the TF parking lot, what time do you guys want to start the night ride at?

sixstringsteve

there's one or two spots on 40 where the stream trickles down over rocks for about 20 feet, but it's not bad. If I can handle it, anyone can handle it.

Friday night is date night. If I can change it to another night I'll join ya.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
3-4 PM may be beating the traffic but at 5PM it takes over an hour to get from my place in Sandy to Tibble and 30 minutes of that is from Point of the Mountain to Cheveron as not only is I15 under construction but so is the highway up to AFC. Plan accordingly. I'll try and sneak out for the 4PM meet. My plan as of now is to be packed for Saturday, I'll leave AFC and head right to 5MP to camp, wake up for NPLD and then head to MMP for We-Rock. From there to Morgan for a treasure hunting Pow-Wow and then back to MMP for We-Rock on Sunday :cool:

sixstringsteve

I'll talk to the wife. I really want to make it.

Kurt is absolutely right about the traffic. On a sunday I can get to the mouth of the canyon in 8 minutes. Some days it takes me over 40 due to the traffic.

I like the idea of camping at MMP. If anyone is too sissy to camp, you're welcome to stay at my place. I've got two spare bedrooms.

rholbrook

I'll talk to the wife. I really want to make it.

Kurt is absolutely right about the traffic. On a sunday I can get to the mouth of the canyon in 8 minutes. Some days it takes me over 40 due to the traffic.

I like the idea of camping at MMP. If anyone is too sissy to camp, you're welcome to stay at my place. I've got two spare bedrooms.

Tell her that Russ has asked nicely too.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
I like the idea of camping at MMP. If anyone is too sissy to camp, you're welcome to stay at my place.

I told you I wasnt a big camping guy.....and a suite at the Marriott vs a sleeping bag and tent in the wind and rain at MMP???????

With the 6 hours I spent at the hotel it was over $20hr to sleep:D

And my daughter was with me so it was her fault.

Greg

Admin
Greg, I should have an extra spot on my trailer, if you want, I'd be happy to give you a ride home.

If you don't mind Caleb, that would be perfect! It will free Catherine up from coming up to get me. I thought about riding back to Lehi (where I'll be staying), but that might not be the best thing, late at night. :rofl:

Hopefully I remember to keep my tie downs with me... :eek:

Caleb

If you don't mind Caleb, that would be perfect! It will free Catherine up from coming up to get me. I thought about riding back to Lehi (where I'll be staying), but that might not be the best thing, late at night. :rofl:

Hopefully I remember to keep my tie downs with me... :eek:
Yeah, no problem. I also usually have a couple extra sets of tie downs in my truck, I'll make sure they are there.