Any Interest in doing part of the Utah Backcountry Discovery Route in 2014?

• Thread starter Deleted member 12904
  • Start date

Caleb

There's cheaper alternatives but I'm still a big fan of the Wolfman products. The E12 saddle bags rock. They keep the weight down low. Collapse when not needed and they have plenty of attachments to secure a sleeping bag, tent, more luggage etc.

crappy cell phone pic probably upside down :eek:
photo-2_zps79ea4046.jpg

I agree 100%. I have a full set of them (front fender bag, tank bag, saddle bags, and duffle bag). The only other bag I would consider for a "hybrid bike" would be a giant loop bag.

By Hybrid bike I mean something that's more dirt bike than adventure bike (WR's, KTMs, CRFs, etc).

Caleb

I see one of these in my future

The PMB racks have to be the nicest out there. I also love their chainsaw attachment you can get with it. That would be money well spent.

Like I said guys a trip to change the way I look at life. How much smaller is a CRF450 than a KTM 525?

View attachment 86478View attachment 86479

I would say they are smaller, but probably not a ton. That amount of gear on those bikes can't be more than a couple days worth of gear (I'd guess two days max) and he's also got a backpack with gear in it. Like I said above, doable but it's going to greatly hinder the way you ride. For this trip, where it's not likely to be very technical, it probably wouldn't be a problem at all.

D

Deleted member 12904

The PMB racks have to be the nicest out there. I also love their chainsaw attachment you can get with it. That would be money well spent.

I would say they are smaller, but probably not a ton. That amount of gear on those bikes can't be more than a couple days worth of gear (I'd guess two days max) and he's also got a backpack with gear in it. Like I said above, doable but it's going to greatly hinder the way you ride. For this trip, where it's not likely to be very technical, it probably wouldn't be a problem at all.

Based on your response Im guessing you haven read the thread I posted in post 1. These guys where actually out on a five day trip but one of those nights they did crash in a hotel. These guys have the Fight Club minimalist approach on adventure riding. No tents, Cook stove, or Food beyond what they need for the day. Stopping for Fuel every few hundred miles allows them to top off the water and pick up any supplies of food needed for the day. Another interesting thing is they choose to use these types of bikes for the exact opposite reasons you claim to be the downfall of a smaller bike and that is that they feel that doing off road adventure riding on a large bike like a bmw for example will greatly hinder the way you ride and the areas you can access and I would agree.

So I guess when I originally posted this I wasn't super clear on the types of rides I would like to do. I am mostly interested in this type of minimalist dirt bike based adventure ride. I did post UBDR as a suggestion but even at that I was thinking more as a general route because Im sure we would find some fun and challenging single track along the way. Im not against a hotel room when we need a bed and a recharge to boost our spirits as Im sure this type of ride would be extremely mentally and physically challenging. Thats why I like the idea of getting Tonkaman to come because while I dont know him well I have the feeling this type of adventure would be right up his alley.
[h=1][/h]

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
Thats why I like the idea of getting Tonkaman to come because while I dont know him well I have the feeling this type of adventure would be right up his alley.
[h=1][/h]

Every adventure is right up his alley!
There are those who say they want to do everything (me) and those that just do everything, like Derek.

Tonkaman

Thanks for the kind words guys. I am up for almost any adventure and I love the minimalist approach but I do want to bring enough to stay safe

Jared

Formerly DeadEye J
It wouldn't allow singletrack, but bringing along a steet-legal UTV would make life much easier by packing some extra gear. It should be able to keep pace on all but the straightest, flattest roads. And it feels a little less like cheating than a 4x4 pickup truck chase vehicle.

Jared

Tonkaman

Although having a chase vehicle would be awesome I think the idea is to travel a long way with a very loose itinerary. Having a chase vehicle would require more of a structured plan

Jared

Formerly DeadEye J
Although having a chase vehicle would be awesome I think the idea is to travel a long way with a very loose itinerary. Having a chase vehicle would require more of a structured plan

I dunno, a street legal UTV could go anywhere the bikes could go at a similar pace. More supplies with little or no loss in mobility means more flexibility in my book.

Either way, I'd love to get in on at least a piece of this action. I've got enough storage on the DRZ in the Giant Loop for an overnighter, and enough fuel to go 100+ slow trail miles. My Teryx4 seats 4 plus gear, or two plus tons of gear and enough fuel for 150 miles or so in the tank.

Jared

Tonkaman

I just re-read "Border to Border: Mexico to Canada via the Continental Divide" from Overland journal fall 2013. What an inspiring trip! I am so excited to get out and explore new country with my bike! Maybe UTBDR 2014 will be good preparation for our own continental divide trip in 2015...

D

Deleted member 12904

I just re-read "Border to Border: Mexico to Canada via the Continental Divide" from Overland journal fall 2013. What an inspiring trip! I am so excited to get out and explore new country with my bike! Maybe UTBDR 2014 will be good preparation for our own continental divide trip in 2015...

ya never know

sixb

Will work for beer!
I'd be in for a week long trip, couldn't go more than that though. Would be on a 2000 ktm 640e i picked up last summer and i have a few hundred miles of riding experience lol but love it.

Tonkaman

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
This thread got me started reading advrider trip reports like they were crack! I am totally down to ride at least part of this. I'm going to work on a newner loop for my TTR. Big dog has done 47k miles on a WR 250 so I figure my old TTR should be fine for this type of riding.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 12904

This thread got me started reading advrider trip reports like they were crack! I am totally down to ride at least part of this. I'm going to work on a newner loop for my TTR. Big dog has done 47k miles on a WR 250 so I figure my old TTR should be fine for this type of riding.

I am still planning on it and as far as I know tonkaman still is. My plan is to see when epic does the page Az race and try to bum a ride down to page then take 7-8 days to get back. This way if we need to call for a ride home we are closer. That race is usually late spring.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I would love to do the whole thing but with 5 kids and a full time job time will be the limiting factor. It's hard for me to take an entire week away from everything. 3 or 4 days is doable though

D

Deleted member 12904

I would love to do the whole thing but with 5 kids and a full time job time will be the limiting factor. It's hard for me to take an entire week away from everything. 3 or 4 days is doable though

I hear you. Nothing is set in stone yet I am just looking at the logistics of the trip. To me the benefit of doing it on bike to the ability to go places only bikes can go so that limits a chase vehicle. Riding south then back north would is a possibility. I'm open to suggestions on logistics but I'm not really open to the idea of a support vehicle just due to the lack of speed and trails it could travel.

D

Deleted member 12904

Another thought is bum a ride to Moab with a crawler group and ride from that point. It could shave a few days off the trip.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Moab to UT Valley would be much easier for me to swing but it all depends on dates. I have family in moab where we could leave a vehicle. That's just a good excuse to go back the next week with my wife.