Any Interest in doing part of the Utah Backcountry Discovery Route in 2014?

• Thread starter Deleted member 12904
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 12904

This thread got me started reading advrider trip reports like they were crack! I am totally down to ride at least part of this. I'm going to work on a newner loop for my TTR. Big dog has done 47k miles on a WR 250 so I figure my old TTR should be fine for this type of riding.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

what kind of fuel range can the ttr get?

D

Deleted member 12904

Ok so looking at dates: I know Tonkaman wants to do it earlier in the season to avoid heat. I'm ok with that I have pushed first track in snow so I'm up for it.

so May - June

I'm busy May 9-10th for the BOR race
11th-18th for family Vacation. It would work best if I could do at least a week back at work before I take off another week.

Easter jeep safari is April 13-20 so we could likely find a ride to Moab no problem. We would hit snow up north but I'm game for April.

Rally on the rocks May 14-17th I would have to bump family vacation but this would also be an easy time to get a ride to Moab.

USRA race June 7th Monticello, UT I don't know anyone going to this but good chance we could find a ride for this also.

Still no race dates from Epic moto.

Any ideas on getting south another way? I'm down for paying gas if we can find a driver to take us down but I'm not super interested in going down later to pick up a vehicle.

I'm thinking Moab to Heber would be a really fun trip. I could get my wife to pick us up in Heber with a trailer. Thoughts?

I want to keep the group to max size of 4. So myself Tonkaman are the only ones committed. My friend Andrew wants to come and if I nail down a date he will let me know if he can commit.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
...I'm busy May 9-10th for the BOR race...

Any details yet on this race? Wendover or Mesquite? Cars?

I'm still down on UTBDR but not interested in getting worked on account of snow/mud. The ride east and north of Moab heads up on the flanks of the La Sals and is totally nasty when wet. I've been down there in early May and it's still nasty, like walking bikes nasty. The other option out of Moab is heading north and west through the Dubinky Wells/Blue Hills area, better early spring option. Likewise the Reservation Ridge area can be impassible into April/May, could be bone dry too... just too hard to plan around. I'm a player for June time frame. Not too hot, far less chance of muddy riding/camping. Stuck on UTBDR to get from Moab to SL area? We did a Moab to Tooele route for CruiserFest that was predominately off-road and would lend itself well to bikes. We'd want to switch up some of the mundane dirt roads (mundane for bikes) and do some funner routes for bikes.

D

Deleted member 12904

Any details yet on this race? Wendover or Mesquite? Cars?

I'm still down on UTBDR but not interested in getting worked on account of snow/mud. The ride east and north of Moab heads up on the flanks of the La Sals and is totally nasty when wet. I've been down there in early May and it's still nasty, like walking bikes nasty. The other option out of Moab is heading north and west through the Dubinky Wells/Blue Hills area, better early spring option. Likewise the Reservation Ridge area can be impassible into April/May, could be bone dry too... just too hard to plan around. I'm a player for June time frame. Not too hot, far less chance of muddy riding/camping. Stuck on UTBDR to get from Moab to SL area? We did a Moab to Tooele route for CruiserFest that was predominately off-road and would lend itself well to bikes. We'd want to switch up some of the mundane dirt roads (mundane for bikes) and do some funner routes for bikes.

The may 10th race is Wendover, Jackpot July 5th and Wendover again September 13th cars and trucks are the focus this season and we have several committed to run the full series.

I would switch to Moab to Tooele in a heart beat if it means having more info about the route to make planing easier. I will read through the link you posted. For me It's much more important to maintain the spirit of the trip than the actual route we take.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Got your PM, check the first post in the thread I linked, GPS files are all there under "Google Earth Route Maps". That is pretty high-speed 4x4 centric and one could easily ditch some additional pavement and mundane roads for a dirt-bike inspired trip. If I get a minute I'll modify the routes.

D

Deleted member 12904

Got your PM, check the first post in the thread I linked, GPS files are all there under "Google Earth Route Maps". That is pretty high-speed 4x4 centric and one could easily ditch some additional pavement and mundane roads for a dirt-bike inspired trip. If I get a minute I'll modify the routes.

I like the general look of this route. Most of the highway looks avoidable and I'm personally more failure with this territory. What do you think Derick?

Tonkaman

Looks pretty cool to me. The route itself would definitely cover some neat areas. I'm up for it especially if it makes planning easier

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
I posted early on that I wanted in, but I'd be on my 690 and it's not quite a 'dirt bike'.... so I'm not sure I fit your idea of riding buddies for this trip.

I may do it solo... or find someone from ADVRider with a bigger bike, but I'm planning on riding it this year no matter what.

Tonkaman

I would love to have you along with us Greg. Unfortunately you may be right since I'd like to avoid the top of 5th gear. I say get a big ass tank for the 300 and join us!

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
I would love to have you along with us Greg. Unfortunately you may be right since I'd like to avoid the top of 5th gear. I say get a big ass tank for the 300 and join us!

I'd be riding pretty mellow loaded with gear.

No way in hell am a riding a 2 stroke over the UTBDR! :eek: It already has a desert tank and 75-80 miles is about the best it'll do... I think.

Caleb

:rofl: He's already got one of the largest tanks out there on his 300...which isn't saying much on a 2 stroke :) I think there's one or two others that are larger, but that would defeat where that bike does so well.

Greg, I'm super serious about picking up a BMW this spring (I've been saying this for the last couple of years, I know :D). If I finally pull the trigger, I'd do a "Big Bike" UTBDR trip with you.

Cascadia

Undecided
Greg, I'm super serious about picking up a BMW this spring (I've been saying this for the last couple of years, I know :D). If I finally pull the trigger, I'd do a "Big Bike" UTBDR trip with you.
Are you going to get a whale foreskin riding jacket like most of the BMW riders get? ;)

D

Deleted member 12904

So I have spent about a half hour looking at topo maps and the Moab to Tooele ride has some serious potential for Bikes. I am set on doing this and will start planing out the Route and available gas stops. So now we need to just lock in a date and confirm the group.

Im thinking June would be best to avoid the mud and snow. I can make any week in June work. Can we plan on June 6th or 7th as of now? IF I cant find us a ride I have a few ideas for getting us and our bikes down.

Who wants to commit for That weekend in June?

D

Deleted member 12904

I'm out that weekend as that is likely the Retro Ramble 4x4 event though we may cross paths :D

What would be the chance of getting you to sit down for a few with me and go over the maps? I would love to hear what you have to say about bike options.

I am open for all of June

Lets Plan on leaving the 6th of June. Plan on a Tuesday arrival We can Just ride to my house than I can take you home?