Any Mtn Bikers on RME?

rholbrook

Steve, Harrison said to me the other night after watching the Kokopelli Trail videos again, "Do you think we could go on another ride with Steve?" I told him that I am sure we could. He then said, "Steves a GOOD DUDE." I told him that I agreed, he is a good dude.

Harrison has been working hard to get in shape and hone his bike skills for when you go ride again. He is racing the Mtn Bike series that raced in Sundance a few weeks ago (which we were out of town for) and has another at Nordic Valley in a week. He is already registered for that one as well as he has joined the Davis High Team.

sixstringsteve

Oh, I wasn't very clear. We'll DEFINITELY be bringing bikes with us. I'd just sell mine for a different model (with less travel). That's what I meant. And even then, I'm not sure I'd like the "new" model any better than my current bike. I actually love my bike. LOVE it. I just may want something a tiny bit poppier/easier to jump than my Nomad. I'm thinking the bronson 2. Who knows... the grass is always greener (or pinker in this case). I'm probably the only one who digs this color scheme, but I LOVE it.

2016-santa-cruz-bronson-pink_zpsf5b5fuk9.jpg

Riding will be an even bigger part of our lives than it is now, and I guarantee we'll both have bikes.

Harrison is a good dude, I sure enjoyed spending time with him. I'm so glad to hear he's doing the sundance series. He'll do amazing. That kid has serious talent. He could easily go pro with some dedication and hard work (and no injuries). I also think racing BMX for a year or two would make him an INCREDIBLE rider/racer. Actually, he already rides like a great BMX rider, so maybe he can skip that. It's a fun winter activity at the least.

We'd love to ride together. In fact, I think it's time we organize a ride up AF Canyon soon.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Show Harrison this video of porcupine rim. We weren't riding it NEARLY this fast. (though they did cut out the part that Harrison rode, which means they probably walked that section.)

this is the same trail we rode on day 4
[video=youtube;OIQTnp3-Wnk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIQTnp3-Wnk[/video]

If harrison rode this trail 5 more times, I think he could almost keep up with these guys. He's seriously an incredible rider.

Last edited:

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Oh, I wasn't very clear. We'll DEFINITELY be bringing bikes with us. I'd just sell mine for a different model (with less travel). That's what I meant. And even then, I'm not sure I'd like the "new" model any better than my current bike. I actually love my bike. LOVE it. I just may want something a tiny bit poppier/easier to jump than my Nomad. I'm thinking the bronson 2. Who knows... the grass is always greener (or pinker in this case). I'm probably the only one who digs this color scheme, but I LOVE it.

2016-santa-cruz-bronson-pink_zpsf5b5fuk9.jpg

Riding will be an even bigger part of our lives than it is now, and I guarantee we'll both have bikes.

Harrison is a good dude, I sure enjoyed spending time with him. I'm so glad to hear he's doing the sundance series. He'll do amazing. That kid has serious talent. He could easily go pro with some dedication and hard work (and no injuries). I also think racing BMX for a year or two would make him an INCREDIBLE rider/racer. Actually, he already rides like a great BMX rider, so maybe he can skip that. It's a fun winter activity at the least.

We'd love to ride together. In fact, I think it's time we organize a ride up AF Canyon soon.

I'm down for a ride after the 4th. I'm out of town all next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sixstringsteve

How long is it taking you guys to ride crest? I've only ridden it once and I can't remember how long it took. I may be able to ride it on Friday at noon if anyone wants to join (but I've got to be done by 3)

I'll be riding lambert tonight if anyone wants to join.

rholbrook

Harrison ran his first mountain bike race last night. He is riding the Wednesday Night Series at Snow Basin and last night was the first one he raced. It has been going on already and this was the 4th race. He went to sign up for the beginner group but it looked like a bunch of younger kids and was only one 5.3 mile lap. He decide to join the Sportsman's Group which was 2 laps or 10.6 miles. There were 33 racers in his group last night and he finished 8th with a time of 1 hr 10 min. I think that was good for his first time and not knowing what to expect. The winner finished in like 1 Hr 5 Min so he wasn't too far off. He is planning on racing again next Wednesday and then also has a race on Saturday July 9th which is The Utah Downhill Racing Series. This will be race number two for that series which started at Sundance a few weeks ago and the next one is Saturday the 9th at Nordic Valley. He likes the down hill better than having to peddle uphill but who wouldn't.

sixstringsteve

wow, that's awesome. Keep posting his results, I want to see him turn pro one step at a time. :)

I raced downhill once. I was surprised how much peddling it had! I'm so excited to watch his progression.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I really want to not like that kid but he's just too nice not to like. Your mailman must be one great guy;)

He needs to go ride Deer Valley with me(Harrison, not your mailman). One of my friends says the guys who built Whistler bike park are in the same guys building Deer Valley. I have never ridden it but it looks like a hoot. This berm alone is probably worth the price of the lift ticket.

11870889_972407989447533_1730464746935911460_n.jpg

Samersen

How long is it taking you guys to ride crest? I've only ridden it once and I can't remember how long it took. I may be able to ride it on Friday at noon if anyone wants to join (but I've got to be done by 3)

I'll be riding lambert tonight if anyone wants to join.

We took it super mellow 3 hours total. But 2 hours of actual ride time. We had a slow guy we waited for at the top of climbs and at intersections. We did go into Park City and not Millcreek which I like way more.

My wife and I are riding the strawberry narrows tomorrow as well in the afternoon.

Samersen

Where do you turn off to go to Park City? On the ridge above the lake?

There are a few spots. But we usually go to where you turn left to go into Millcreek (there is a sign that says the even and odd days rule in Millcreek). You just head right through the trees.

clfrnacwby

Recovery Addict
Spent some time at my in-law's cabin up by Panguitch Lake for the 4th of July. Got to ride Bunker Creek (Right Fork) and Bunker Creek (Left Fork) with a buddy and my Father-in-law. Both start at just over 11,000 feet at the top of Brian Head Resort and are pretty amazing trails.

5EE1EDE2-511C-4C95-BC41-5B386C67E2F2_zps0wkprhqt.jpg

rholbrook

Race #2 and 3 are in the books for Harrison. Wednesday night at Snow Basin he took 6th in the Sportsmans Class with a time of 1hr 1 min over 10.6 miles. These are trails with climbs and downhills in them. Winning time was 56 min. Harrison rides a Specialized Enduro Comp which is probably 5-10 lbs heavier than the carbon fiber cross country bikes the top 3 guys were riding so I'd say he did pretty good all things considered.

Race #3 was the Utah Down Hill Series with the race at Nordic Valley. We got there early enough that he was able to take a couple of runs. We had signed him up for CAT3 which is the beginner class because this was his first Enduro type downhill race ever. Not knowing what to expect he rode the lift up 20 min. Before his starting time. CAT1 which is the Pro/Expert level went first. The fastest time was 6min 08 Sec and then a couple of 6:12 in CAT1. There were a ton of times between 6:35 and 6:45 through CAT1 and CAT2. Harrison started and as he came into view he was getting pretty close to the guy ho started 1 min ahead of him. He came across the line flying with a time of 6min 29.01 sec. Not only did he win the 13-18 yr old CAT3 class but he had the fastest time overall in CAT3 by 15 seconds but he would have won be CAT2 13-18 class by 15 sec and would have placed 2nd in the CAT1 13-18 class. He ended up with the 13th fastest time overall for the day.

I knew he was fast downhill because a lot of people tell me he is fast downhill. The question is, what class should he be in? Obviously, CAT3 isn't it. Should I sign him up for CAT2 going forward? That's kind of what I'm thinking

sixstringsteve

Congrats, thats grrwt news! Honestly, I'm not surprised. He is an incredible rider. I'd consider putting him in cat 1. If he placed 2nd in cat 1, imagine how he will do in a few more races. Imagine how he'll do when he's 18!

Stay safe Harrison, nothing kills your season like a separated shoulder or bum knee. Im proud of you kid. Imagine what you could do after some clinics with the pros and some drills and technique training. You've got what it takes to go pro, just stay injury-free.

Last edited: