Any Mtn Bikers on RME?

sixstringsteve

I am not a fan of presta valves. They are a pita for checking pressure and filling the tires.

I hate 'em too. I think schrader is far better, but I just decided to suck it up and get used to presta.

I haven't used a tire pressure gauge on my bike for a LONG time (excluding fat biking). I use the ol' squeeze the tire with my fingers trick. I like a really low PSI. I'll get it to the point where I can feel my rim hitting a rock or two during the ride, then give it 2-3 more pumps of air. Everyone's different, but most noobs run far too much PSI on the dirt. You do not want your tires rock hard, especially if you have a 27.5+. Tire pressure makes a HUGE difference.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Everyone's different, but most noobs run far too much PSI on the dirt. You do not want your tires rock hard, especially if you have a 27.5+. Tire pressure makes a HUGE difference.

This was totally me when I went out to Corner Canyon with Steve a while back. It was much easier to climb with the lower pressure and I wasn't bouncing much at all up the hill.

I'm hoping to get back out this year. I miss riding my bike.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I hate 'em too. I think schrader is far better, but I just decided to suck it up and get used to presta.

I haven't used a tire pressure gauge on my bike for a LONG time (excluding fat biking). I use the ol' squeeze the tire with my fingers trick. I like a really low PSI. I'll get it to the point where I can feel my rim hitting a rock or two during the ride, then give it 2-3 more pumps of air. Everyone's different, but most noobs run far too much PSI on the dirt. You do not want your tires rock hard, especially if you have a 27.5+. Tire pressure makes a HUGE difference.

I'm going to have to get used to the lower pressure. I'm running 14 in the front and 18 in the rear. I can probably go a little less in both, but they felt really low before, so having a starting point helps.

I am going to look into a separate wheel set with 29 inch tires for street riding so I don't wear out my knobbys on the road riding I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sixstringsteve

I'm betting it will. I run 2.5" wide tires, and it still has plenty of room.

14 and 18 psi is a great pressure for a 27.5+. You shouldn't need to go lower than that. If you feel the sidewalls flexing and folding on fast turns, pump it up a little. If you're riding pavement, or really smooth terrain, you can go up to 35-45 psi.

Last edited:

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I am going to look into a separate wheel set with 29 inch tires for street riding so I don't wear out my knobbys on the road riding I do.

I bought road tires for my 29er and have just swapped them out for the knobbbys. It hasn't been that big of a hassle and only takes me about ten minutes to do both. I was biking to the office a while ago and really was enjoying the skinny tires but did find that I ran out of gears. When school gets out and my wife is done for the summer in a couple weeks I'm going to try and get back biking at least half of the way to work. It was really enjoyable and only a little bit of a hassle trying to sort out where to clean up. My plan this year is to shower before I leave and just take it easy on the way there (to keep clean) and go hard on the way home.

Did a little upgrade from the Cannondale Rush. Got me the Santa Cruz Nomad. It's the 2015 CC X01 model. Got a pretty good deal on it from a local shop. Took it out to Park City for a bit but started raining. Awesome ride though!

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Congrats, you're going to love that bike! That's the exact bike my wife has, and I have blue one. I couldn't be happier with mine.

- - - Updated - - -

I've got Thursday and Friday off. Anyone want to go for a ride? Does anyone know if the Wasatch Crest is dry enough to ride yet?

Last edited:

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Got my drop tube installed. It's sweet!

8cd5f4c2813b152d35b53d4a9402e1c2.jpg
456047ed70e98ddf900d0d4107b08a56.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sixstringsteve

I'm considering selling my bike and my wife's bike. Since we won't be riding utah as much we may get something with a bit less travel.

These are not cheap bikes (Santa Cruz nomad v3 carbons), but if anyone is in the market, let me know.

rholbrook

I'm considering selling my bike and my wife's bike. Since we won't be riding utah as much we may get something with a bit less travel.

These are not cheap bikes (Santa Cruz nomad v3 carbons), but if anyone is in the market, let me know.
You will be sorry if you sell them. Figure out a way to pack them up in the trailer somewhere.