Any Mtn Bikers on RME?

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
So I decided I need to get my phat butt back on my bike. Of course, both tires are flat. I have just enough sealant to do both so I do. The front won't hold air because the valve stem is leaking at the base so I decide to put a tube in it and call it good. The tube leaks at the flashing on the inside edge so I put the second one in. It leaks from a random spot on the side of the tube. Both were unused and still folded from the factory. I did find out later that they were both 7 years old. Moral to the story, if that old tube you've had bouncing around in your tool kit or on your bike is more than a couple years old, it is worthless.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
So I was this really cool dad and stopped at a yard sale to buy my kids a unicycle. It was more than I thought I should pay.. but I was already there. It didn't have pedals so I bought a set from amazon.
I went to install pedals, and the dumb crank is stripped out.
Tried to pull the crank off an older bike and boke it.

Point is.. if you guys have an extra set of crank arms in your rubbish pile that is bound for the trash.. I could use a set.

They are only $20 on amazon.. but that means I could have just bought a new one for what I have spent on this one.. 😢
You're going to let your kids be unicycle kids? Is that a good idea?

Also, I pulled down that bike I bought from you last year for my son and an hour later my neighbor called saying there was a fire alarm going off in my garage. It was the little bike computer thing that was left on the handle bars. I couldn't get it to turn off and it was super loud so it got yanked and met an end with a sledge hammer in the drive way.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I have been riding a 2018 Rocky Mountain Instinct since 2018. I am heavy (215lbs) and I ride the thing 300-500 miles a year. I am thinking it's time for a new bike because this one could use some money put into it and new bikes are fun.

My two current top picks are a Yeti SB140 and a Pivot 429 Trail. I have also considered an Ibis Ripley. I have ridden tons of Giant, Santa Cruz and Fezzari models and none of them stand out for what I want. My most frequent ridding partner has a Yeti SB110 and it's like an E-bike it pedals so well. It does suffer somewhat on the downhill though. I would like something lighter than my RM which won't be hard and also something that pedals better while still allowing me to jump at my weight. Long story to say, does anyone have experience with those 2/3 models?

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I rode a Ripley. It's been a couple years now so maybe they've gotten better but I wasn't impressed. Lots of pedal bob, and whatever tire that was on front did not like to stick. I found the Orbea Occam and Giant Trance X to be much better climbing and descending. Ended up on the Trance.

Are you watching the Biker's Edge reviews on Youtube? They review Ibis, Yeti, Santa Cruz, Orbea, Giant, Rocky Mountain, Transition, lots of big hitters.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I rode a Ripley. It's been a couple years now so maybe they've gotten better but I wasn't impressed. Lots of pedal bob, and whatever tire that was on front did not like to stick. I found the Orbea Occam and Giant Trance X to be much better climbing and descending. Ended up on the Trance.

Are you watching the Biker's Edge reviews on Youtube? They review Ibis, Yeti, Santa Cruz, Orbea, Giant, Rocky Mountain, Transition, lots of big hitters.
I grew up on Giants and think it's hard to beat them for value. I have found that I don't like the flex in their frames. The 2 Yeti's I've ridden are the stiffest framed bikes I've ever ridden. My RM is a good compromise and I think the Pivot would be similar but lighter and with better pedal efficiency. The Yeti's are just $$$$$ and I think they are kinda ugly other than I like the turquois. I'm leaning toward the Pivot but I'm a tight ass so it will likely come down to what I can find the best deal on, which is still going to be way too much money for a pedal bike.
I have been watching MTB Yum Yum since he rides CC and that is where I do 90% of my riding, it's a good data point.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I have been riding a 2018 Rocky Mountain Instinct since 2018. I am heavy (215lbs) and I ride the thing 300-500 miles a year. I am thinking it's time for a new bike because this one could use some money put into it and new bikes are fun.

My two current top picks are a Yeti SB140 and a Pivot 429 Trail. I have also considered an Ibis Ripley. I have ridden tons of Giant, Santa Cruz and Fezzari models and none of them stand out for what I want. My most frequent ridding partner has a Yeti SB110 and it's like an E-bike it pedals so well. It does suffer somewhat on the downhill though. I would like something lighter than my RM which won't be hard and also something that pedals better while still allowing me to jump at my weight. Long story to say, does anyone have experience with those 2/3 models?
I know it's a bit of a drive for you, but if you go to Biker's Edge, mention you are my friend and they'll hook you up. They also do demo's of mulitple bikes and apply the cost of a demo to a bike if you buy. Great folks there! I know Zach pretty well and Brock is a great dude that can help you get setup on a new bike. If you demo something, I'll go with you if you ride up here in Davis County.

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
My experience is very limited but I demoed a pivot last year. I wish I would have bought it. It pedaled and rode way better than my Santa Cruz for the same money

Pivot was a switchblade and my Santa Cruz is a megatower. Not apples to apples for what you’re looking at either.

And I laugh when you say 215 is heavy

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
And I laugh when you say 215 is heavy
For a guy who rides, runs, rides and lifts as much as I do is 215 heavy. I just eat garbage all day and apparently that isn't changing. Most of my MTB riding buddies are 180 or lighter. I guess it's all relative.

I know it’s not on your list but I’m still stoked on my 2019 transition sentinel
I like that bike but it is too big. My RM is 150/140mm travel. I'm looking to go smaller, 140/120 ish. My biggest sends are Levitate and some small drops on TWE.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
I have ridden my T429 all over. From the north shore to sedona, purdy much every trail in Moab and StG. I 100% don’t need anything more than the 120/130 that I have. Sometimes I wish I had the enduro model, but that’s rare. I’ve been riding it hard for 3 years and I have forgotten what it’s like to ride a sloggy bike, but the T429 is peppy. I do bottom out occasionally, which just reminds me I have the perfect bike for 95% of riding I do.

I did break my frame a few months ago. While I did get the warranty, the experience was less than stellar. The dealer claimed pivot requires “white glove” service, and they wanted to charge me $600 for tear down, shipping and buildup, and I wasn’t allowed to do any of it myself. I’ve always been a lil skiddish about carbon fiber, and this really made me want to just swap all my components over to a Reeb SST, which I think is the bike I’d buy today.

The one good thing that came of the warranty, I was able to swap from sky blue to sage.

IMG_5906_Original.jpeg

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I have ridden my T429 all over. From the north shore to sedona, purdy much every trail in Moab and StG. I 100% don’t need anything more than the 120/130 that I have. Sometimes I wish I had the enduro model, but that’s rare. I’ve been riding it hard for 3 years and I have forgotten what it’s like to ride a sloggy bike, but the T429 is peppy. I do bottom out occasionally, which just reminds me I have the perfect bike for 95% of riding I do.

I did break my frame a few months ago. While I did get the warranty, the experience was less than stellar. The dealer claimed pivot requires “white glove” service, and they wanted to charge me $600 for tear down, shipping and buildup, and I wasn’t allowed to do any of it myself. I’ve always been a lil skiddish about carbon fiber, and this really made me want to just swap all my components over to a Reeb SST, which I think is the bike I’d buy today.

The one good thing that came of the warranty, I was able to swap from sky blue to sage.

View attachment 175718
Great feedback. Thanks benjy