Anyone else sitting at home - or working w/o pay - due to the Gov Shutdown?

Troop92

Just wondered if anyone else was sitting at home -- or worse, working without getting paid -- due to the Government shutdown? I was deemed "non-essential", thus I sit at home. I did go fishing today, but still.... :rolleyes: If anyone wants to get out wheeling, it isn't like I'm doing anything else at the moment. :D

Don't care if you're Repub/Dem, all should realize what a boneheaded deal this is. Please, Congress, do your friggin' job and get to work!

skiboarder

SkiBoarder
AARRGG!!!!!! This whole thing just makes me so mad. Being in a area that relies on cash flow from government jobs. This will hurt the local economy, not to mention the national economy. It's about time for a revolution,or a coup.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
The worst part is they continue to get paid. If there was ever a need to amend an amendment, I think that should be it. They should be the first on the list of people to work without pay. I think if that were the case they would make sure these kinds of things never happen.

sabatoa1

I was told that I have to come to work because I am mission essential, but they do not know when I am going to get paid. The people that choose not to come to work were told they would be fired on the spot. I can not believe that the politicians in this country are allowing this to happen. I have heard that it is all over them not being able to decided on what to do with Obama Care. I think that someone needs to ICE the president and all of his surrounding staff, and get our country back from these terrorists. Sorry just a little upset!!!

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
Yeah, but when everyone gets back paid for days they didn't work, you better donate that money to this revolution you are calling for.

ZUKEYPR

Yeah, but when everyone gets back paid for days they didn't work, you better donate that money to this revolution you are calling for.

That's not remotely a guarantee that you'll get back paid. It has and has noy happened in the past. If you didn't submit a rebuttal it most certainly will not happen. To the original question, yeah I'm sitting at home on my 4th point of contact.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
My wife is, its ever so nice not knowing when she will be going back to work

Marsh99

That's not remotely a guarantee that you'll get back paid. It has and has noy happened in the past. If you didn't submit a rebuttal it most certainly will not happen. To the original question, yeah I'm sitting at home on my 4th point of contact.

They were backed paid in 1995 and 1996, and there is a bill moving to back employees already.
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/gove...-workers-nervous-pay-checks/story?id=20438572

So if they don't get back paid be pist, but if they do donate the money to a cause instead of talking big and not doing anything. Just my 2 cents

Troop92

While the South Park comic is kinda funny, myself along with others work for the Gov because that's the job we found when we needed one.

As for back pay - I'm a contractor and won't get it, and were told that if we did work there wasn't much chance we would. Actual Gov employees, yes. Contractors, Iffy.

So, day 3. Finishing up a bathroom remodel by noontime, then perhaps an afternoon of Netflix. Or go get Trooper a bit dirty. :)

Marsh99

While the South Park comic is kinda funny, myself along with others work for the Gov because that's the job we found when we needed one.

As for back pay - I'm a contractor and won't get it, and were told that if we did work there wasn't much chance we would. Actual Gov employees, yes. Contractors, Iffy.

So, day 3. Finishing up a bathroom remodel by noontime, then perhaps an afternoon of Netflix. Or go get Trooper a bit dirty. :)

Yeah but the Davis-Bacon act sure helps the wages when you do work.

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
The private sector has been getting hammered for years and Fed employees have been largely shielded from economic realities. It's a big shyte sandwich that we all have to take a bite of. If I started a thread about the shifting sands of my career since 2007, there'd be a lot of boring threads.

There's no one in congress fighting for my "back pay"... what a pile of shyte that is.

sabatoa1

Have you not been effected by any of this? If you have not you should try and understand what is going to happen to me. I am the sole provider for my family, my wife and my 2 kids might have to go without in the near future. I am lucky enough to have enough money saved up to last for a couple months, but what about the people that live paycheck to paycheck.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
You know that website where you go go create petitions flr
thr White House of something. Can that be used to petition for congress to be first in line on the chopping block when the decide to play god with peoples livelihoods?

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
You know that website where you go go create petitions flr
thr White House of something. Can that be used to petition for congress to be first in line on the chopping block when the decide to play god with peoples livelihoods?

Sure. You might get a mention in a White House press conference. But thats about it.

skeptic

The company I work for is going through another round of layoffs right now - bunch of people let go Monday, and more will be gone this coming Monday. While I hate to see good workers get canned, and this whole Gov't shutdown thing is going to put a hurt on a lot of people, gov't employees in general do not face the same job insecurity issues as the private sector. I've lost my job multiple times due to office relocation, mergers, and the company just going belly-up. With my current employer I've survived SEVERAL rounds of company wide layoffs, but nothing is set in stone and for all I know I could be gone after this weekend. Or the next round of layoffs, or the next...

Marsh99

Have you not been effected by any of this? If you have not you should try and understand what is going to happen to me. I am the sole provider for my family, my wife and my 2 kids might have to go without in the near future. I am lucky enough to have enough money saved up to last for a couple months, but what about the people that live paycheck to paycheck.

I have not been directly effected, but my brother and dad are government contract employee's and have been effected. I feel for you I really do, but everyone here is very self interested. You will not have money for today, so you want everything to be fixed today. Have you thought about what is going on with the country as a whole? What paying you today will cost your children? There are people in Washington that are trying to make a stand against big government, but know one knows the facts. People just know they won't be paid for the last 3 days. If you want to see something to be worried about just watch this.
http://www.usdebtclock.org/

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I have not been directly effected, but my brother and dad are government contract employee's and have been effected. I feel for you I really do, but everyone here is very self interested. You will not have money for today, so you want everything to be fixed today. Have you thought about what is going on with the country as a whole? What paying you today will cost your children? There are people in Washington that are trying to make a stand against big government, but know one knows the facts. People just know they won't be paid for the last 3 days. If you want to see something to be worried about just watch this.
http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Scenarios such as these is why I have always contributed some amount of every single check to my savings account. This is a crappy situtation for sure but a little bit of financial planning can go a long ways and keep your head above water in times like these......

Maybe its just me but when I hear of people losing there jobs and not being able to pay your mortgage and other bills I have no sympathy for them, I have never ever heard of a person who worked there entire life without getting layed off, furloughed or fired atleast once or twice. People need to buck up and plan for those bumps in the road.

Last edited:

ricsrx

I guess that i learned a good lesson during all the years i worked construction, your only employed until the job is completed, i was never laid off or missed any work, except bad weather days, but you live your financial life like you are two weeks away from unemployment.

It has served me well for a long time.

I see this as bad weather days for the federal government, sorry you’re going thru it, but i have been there and done that. and i survived.