Anyone into 3D printing?

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Haven't looked at those. Pmags are so cheap and reliable it's hard to justify making them. Have you printed any? How do they function? I'd worry about dropp free when empty without having to strip them.
I printed version 1 and they look good, however I don't have anything that uses glock Mags... When I got to looking at spring cost it was almost cheaper to just buy a magazine so it's an idea I love but ranks up there with a flexi-rex for how I'm going to use it.

1969honda

Supporting Member
Sorry, lookin back I caught tbe wrong post, yours was just above glockman's and I tagged you on accident.

Fixed it

Last edited:

Tonkaman

I’ve never been around one of these magic printers. How does the printing material come? How many material types are there? How expensive is it to print these objects?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I've seen the spool tilt deal, but my son's Ender 3 ended up getting a little roller, or pulley to guide the filament into the extruder. Works slick. :cool:

It might be this one....but there are lots of options for similar things if you have a specific bearing you want to use, or no bearings, or whatever. :) https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4055309

1969honda

Supporting Member
I just ordered an updated mother board to integrate a CR touch, dual z axis kit, and an all aluminum feeder drive.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I’ve never been around one of these magic printers. How does the printing material come? How many material types are there? How expensive is it to print these objects?
Printer filament comes in spools, usually 1kg (2.2lbs) and usually are around $20, Cura (slicing software) if you put in cost of the spool will tell you the cost to print something (looks like 335m per spool and cost of $0.06 per meter, at the speed I print at figure less than 10 cents per hour.

Material types vary, Most of what I print is in PLA, but I've also printed TPU PETG, ABS You need to look at your printer and see what it will do for temperature, also if you get into some of the exotics fumes may be a concern.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
The one thing I'll add Derek is that if you get a printer you either need to learn to design something in 3d so you can print it, or you rely on what is already out in the world for things to print. There are a lot of objects in the correct file format available so its not too much a concern until you want a thing customized for a specific purpose and/or size. Then you gotta design it yourself or have someone do that for you.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
The one thing I'll add Derek is that if you get a printer you either need to learn to design something in 3d so you can print it, or you rely on what is already out in the world for things to print. There are a lot of objects in the correct file format available so its not too much a concern until you want a thing customized for a specific purpose and/or size. Then you gotta design it yourself or have someone do that for you.
Yup. In some ways I'm hoping that this forces me to finally learn CAD. I've played with various CAD programs over the years, but never really had an application to apply it to. Now I will.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I have printed about 2/3 of an $18 spool. All pla+ so far.

Are you doing any designing or just pre-made stl’s?
So far I've pulled sti files from printables.com and thingiverse. Only mild modification on one print so far. I did that little mod in tinkercad. I just barely dipped my toe so far. Look forward to more designing but really there is so much out there, you can do a ton without any cad skills.

Last edited: