Anyone selling their KTM 300? I'm in the market

Caleb

I had to go out of state to find mine. I got a great deal and it already had suspension work and a zStart Pro Rekluse in it. Everyone is Utah, Idaho and Wyoming think their 300's are worth their weight in gold

Uship is a wonderful thing once you find a good bike out of state

When I bought mine several years ago, I went to Idaho for it. Better deal than could be had around here by far, it made the couple hour drive well worth it.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
When I bought mine several years ago, I went to Idaho for it. Better deal than could be had around here by far, it made the couple hour drive well worth it.
I bought an '08 out of Idaho that was in really good shape for $3500 in 2012. I sold that bike a year later for $4500 when I bought my '13.......I have never made money on a bike before.

Caleb

I bought an '08 out of Idaho that was in really good shape for $3500 in 2012. I sold that bike a year later for $4500 when I bought my '13.......I have never made money on a bike before.

I made money on my 500, I also made a grand on it after riding it for a year. Can't complain about those situations :)

Cascadia

Undecided
I sold my 08 for $1000 profit 2 years ago. The guy called me a few months ago and said he lost the title and asked if I wanted to buy it back. I did, for 3000 less than I sold it to him for. I fixed it up. It had been neglected. I sold it last month for another 1100 profit. That doesn't happen everyday.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
From everything I have read here, I think I want an XC and not and XC-W. Is it possible to add the digital display on the XC? I really like an odo if it isn't too difficult.

On the XC vs. XCW decision, I chose the XC solely for the linkage over the PDS. If you don't care either way, I'd probably get the XCW w/ digital display, factory headlight, etc... OR pony up the extra $$$ and get the '15 Husky. You can get all the XCW stuff and linkage (that is, if linkage is something you care about). Sorry, veering off track into new bike territory. :)

Oh, and yes you can install a factory digital display. Like Paul mentioned, the sensor/wiring is missing for the front wheel. However, that display isn't cheap. This is why most people go with aftermarket stuff.

Last edited:

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Having never ridden either the XC or the XC-W, I don't really know how much I would need the linkage. Everything I have read says the XC are better suited to for whoop pounding and MX tracks. I have been riding a 450 with linkage and I think the two will be more similar than changing to the XC-W without linkage, purely speculative though. EVERYTHING I have read says the spacing on the W gearing is odd. Always being between gears brings the suck!

To veer off even more, Edge has a new 2015 200 XC-W that is really calling my name. I'm just not sure it would be enough power to lug my fat ass around.

Cascadia

Undecided
I almost bought that bike a bit ago to go ride cause mine was in st. George and I wanted to ride. But I ended up not having time anyway. I would've just relisted after the ride. ;)

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Last edited:

Caleb

Having never ridden either the XC or the XC-W, I don't really know how much I would need the linkage. Everything I have read says the XC are better suited to for whoop pounding and MX tracks. I have been riding a 450 with linkage and I think the two will be more similar than changing to the XC-W without linkage, purely speculative though. EVERYTHING I have read says the spacing on the W gearing is odd. Always being between gears brings the suck!

To veer off even more, Edge has a new 2015 200 XC-W that is really calling my name. I'm just not sure it would be enough power to lug my fat ass around.

Couple things, I love the PDS suspension. Way easier to work on and I'm not a good enough rider to notice the benefits of a linkage suspension. You also don't have to worry about getting hung up on the link.

On the 200. I plan to get a 200 XC. From the reading I've done, it sounds like the power from the 200 is delivered much like the 300. The other 2T are more like a typical 2T power band. I've been worried about the power too, but then I realize that the places I'd use the 200 are all places that I'm in the first 1/4 of the throttle on any other bike. I wouldn't get the 200 to go bomb out in the desert, or even for most American Fork riding type stuff. However, there's those technical trails that most other bikes (while doable) are a total handful. I plan to get a 500 late winter/early spring and then maybe next year get a 200. I'd love to see what you think of the 200 if you end up with it.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I think I need to calm down a bit. I have looked at every 300 on Craigslist in every state, cycle trader and advrider along with KSL. There really isn't much in the 2011-2013 range.
I think the 200 is on the back burner for a while.
I have seriously wanted one of these bikes since 2012. It's really hard to be smart and not just buy the first thing I find.

Thanks for the info Paul, that helps keep my desire in check.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
For the right price, Vince's bike would be a good bike. I have not paid much attention to the price of used 300's for awhile, so I can't honestly give you a great opinion of what that price would be.

rholbrook

Sorry its long.

When I was in your shoes Chad I had lots of confusion on which orange bike to get. First off, I had to call Yamaha and voice my feeling with them. They pretty much just said that they were happy with where they were.

I texted, called and emailed pretty much everyone I knew that had or has a KTM 300. I actually thought I was getting Vonski's friends 2012 300XC from Oregon but deep down inside I wanted a 2011 and I will go into that in a minute. Anyway, I was leery about how to get it to Utah and he said he wanted to come down and ride in a month and I told him I would pay him and he could come down later. I was going to be in Atlanta for 3 weeks anyway so it didn’t matter to me. Just before we were to do the deal, he finally got a guy locally to buy it. He had a hard time selling it up there for some odd reason but it was a really good deal. When that one went away I started looking again and then Tyson texts me on a killer deal in Logan on a new one they were discounting a grand so I called them and sure enough, they were really giving a deal on it but it was an XCW which after all my research, I really wanted the XC, not because of the rear link suspension but because of the gearing difference. I told one of my riding buddies about the 300 in Logan and told him I wanted an XC so he asked if he could buy it, I told him sure and then 5 minutes later I figured what the hell, I can’t pass up that price so I called back up there and the salesman told me I just missed it. Sure enough, my friend had given them a credit card with a deposit. He then called me and said he did it. I told him I knew because I called up to buy it. He then asked me if I wanted it and I told him no and that I will find an XC.
On an XCW, the only difference is 1st is lower, all the other gears are the same and the front sprocket is a 13 tooth where the XC has a 14 tooth. The XCW has no rear linkage (PDS) in the rear as well as no speedo or headlight.

The gap between 1st and 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] was too big, especially with the 13 tooth sprocket, being so low, I knew 1st would be a gear that wouldn’t be used much and I planned on getting a Rekluse anyway. If the XC gearing was too high, I would put the 13 tooth on the front like an XCW. There is a lot of argument on the rear suspension as to which is better. Me, being old, fat, slow and worn out, decided that the linkage was not what I really cared about and I had heard that for trail/single track riding the XCW(PDS) rear suspension was better for that type of riding.

In 2011 they added the 6th gear which I wanted, the frame changed a little and BOTH the XC and XCW came without the linkage rear suspension. I wanted the XC gearing and the XCW PDS rear suspension so that’s why I was looking for a 2011. I would have been fine with linkage either way but the 2011 had exactly what I wanted.
I began my search, there were a lot of well-worn bikes with lots of hours without rebuilds on them and some of these people wanted all the money for them so I started looking out of state and found one in Arizona. One of my riding buddies just happened to be in Phoenix at the time so he swung over and took a look at it. An older than me gentleman owned it and he called me mad because Craig had REALLY RIDDEN IT HARD up and down the street. It was a 2011, 300XC, low hours, Rekluse zStart Pro, vForce case and reeds and suspension work already done. I paid $5,200 shipped to my door. Shipping was $220 which the PO split with me. I posted the shipment need on UShip and let the bids come in. The guy that brought it to me had a house in Phx and one in SLC and he would haul loads between them when he wanted his gas paid for. My bike was insured for $15,000 Greg so I don’t know if the guy you mentioned is whining over his $500 deductible. http://www.uship.com/learnmore/cargoinsurance.aspx With uShip, you get a release code emailed to you. If you inspect the shipment the driver doesn’t get paid unless you give him the code. That’s really unfortunate he got his bike stolen.
I have bad shoulders and when I rode my WR450, my shoulders would ache for 2 days afterwards. One thing I noticed with the 300 is my shoulders didn’t hurt much at all. The 40lbs difference was so nice. I love how with this new bike I am actually looking for a harder line up obstacles. With my WR, I always looked for the easiest line.
In my riding group we now have 3 of the new KTM 250 FreeRides. Very cool bike, its really about the same size as a TTR230 or CRF230. Light, nimble and really fun to ride. It has crazy bottom end and a top speed of close to 65. The really crazy thing is it is 211lbs wet. http://www.ktm.com/us/freeride/freeride-250-r/highlights.html#.VJmPfF4AAA
Beta is coming out with their version of the FreeRide and it is a little bit bigger plus it has a 300cc smoker in it. One of my riding buddies ordered one last month and it will be here in February some time.

Be patient Chad, you will find what you are looking for. I will keep my eye out for you too. I love my 300. Can’t believe I was too love blind with BLUE to make the switch sooner. Until the Jap brands pull their heads out and make great trail bikes with 6 gears and two few strokes, I will stay with KTM. Ever since you and your dad joined us on the ride in Moab last year, you have declined to come with us again. Was it too easy of a ride? Come spend some time in the saddle of mine.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
This is mostly your fault Russ:) I couldn't keep up with you on a WR so I know I'm screwed now that you have a 300.
I would love to come ride your bike. Hopefully our schedules will line up here soon. You retired guys riding weekdays:)

I have seen the Freerides and my dad has really been looking into them. For me, they are too much of a trials bike. My wife is wanting me to keep my YZ for my boys to ride so I will have a backup bike, but I really want a bike I can take to Caineville, the sand dunes, AF canyon and 10 mile wash with an occasional track day. It seems like for those requirements, the 300XC is the ticket.

I have been surprised how few bikes there are on the market. I guess it shouldn't be much of a surprise since it is one sub model of one manufacturer. If I wanted a 450 there are 5 bike makers churning them out so they should be more prevalent. I have looked at the Beta 300RR. There is one in Utah for $7600. I could swing it if I sold my YZ but I really want to keep that bike.

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
Not always, guy on ADVRider had a bike stolen off a UShip truck and it's turned into a complete & total clusterf**k. - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1030226

Long story short, Uship won't claim any responsibility to a bike stolen while in their possession and their insurance ONLY covers up to $500. :eek:

Every time you post an ADVrider link I always spend the next hour looking at bikes for sale.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Went and looked at Vince's bike Friday. Really nice guy. I think we spent and hour in the garage talking bikes. His bike is clean and looks to be very well maintained. He is just at the very top of what I want to spend and is pretty much a stock bike. The search continues...

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Well I bought the bike from Vince. 2012 xc. It has an aluminum skid plate, Feb gnarly pipe and q2 silencer and the head milled to mimic the sx. Other than that it appears to be bone stock.