Bad Day on Utah Lake

Bart

That boat looks more like a 28' than a 35'. It would still suck. I guess they called 911 when they found out it was sinking and wanted someone to pull it out.
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=1461964

I doubt there's much damage but I'd imagine the motor and outdrive will need to be drained and gone through.

yellowbronco

Cuts Through Grease !!!
no, they have a boat. they have better things to do than watch tv ;)

whats with the ping pong balls anyway? you buy $2000 dollars in ping pong balls (which are highly flamible I might ad) and fill up the inside of the boat with them so it can't ever sink?
No,no they actually raised a sunken boat by filling it with ping pong balls!!

Floppy Hat

mbryson's hairdresser
That sucks his boat sank...
On KSL it looks like he was blaming 911 for not coming to pump the water out...:-\

This is second hand, so take it for what it is worth.

The park rangers down at the marina noticed it was taking on water last night around 9:00. The attempted to find/contact the owner, but he was MIA. He showed up this morning to head out on the lake and found his boat full of water. He was quite disapointed with the rangers for not doing more.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
This is second hand, so take it for what it is worth.

The park rangers down at the marina noticed it was taking on water last night around 9:00. The attempted to find/contact the owner, but he was MIA. He showed up this morning to head out on the lake and found his boat full of water. He was quite disapointed with the rangers for not doing more.

Right. They should have started inspecting all the possible reasons a boat might be taking on water, fixed the problem, pumped the water out, THEN notified the owner he forgot one small, very important item. :rolleyes:

They had no way of knowing whether it was a simple fix or not. Some people gotta learn to take responsibility for their own junk.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
...They had no way of knowing whether it was a simple fix or not. Some people gotta learn to take responsibility for their own junk.

Agreed, the guy is a tool for thinking someone else should have fixed his f-up. Next time my car breaks down on the side of the road... I'm dialing 911.

Then there is the old lady in Orem that doesn't water her lawn... she wouldn't tell the cop (just doing his job) her name, she gets locked up and now she's gonna sue. What would happen if was receiving a citation and refused to tell them my name... JAIL!!! could I sue, sure but some hoity-toity gal wouldn't take my case as a "victims rights advocate" GAY!

The common link... Utah county :greg:

Meat_

Banned
oh that would make you sick to see your boat like that. I am always worrying about forgetting to put my plug in my boat and sink it. .

If you ever do and you catch it before you sink.... all you have to do is get the boat up on plane (if you can, water is heavy ;) ) and drive it for awhile most of the water will drain out, then you stop, jump in the water and put the plug in.

Brett

Meat-Hippy
If you ever do and you catch it before you sink.... all you have to do is get the boat up on plane (if you can, water is heavy ;) ) and drive it for awhile most of the water will drain out, then you stop, jump in the water and put the plug in.

Or, turn the bilge pump on and put the plug in ;)

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I would think a $100k boat could have a $10 sensor that could automatically fire the bilge pump(s)??? I'm not sure if it would have saved the boat, but it might have prolonged it?

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I'm not real sure why the cop needs that woman's name, he's AT HER HOUSE for a zoning violation LOL .

Not saying she's necessarily right, but it could have been handled better all around methinks.

Besides that I'm not all that keen on cops issuing zoning violations anyway. :D

Caleb

I was kind of wondering that as well. Usually they can pump out quite a bit.....but I guess it wasn't enough.

I bet he turned his batteries off. Most bilge pumps that are worth their salt would atleast keep it afloat. It'd definitely be full of water, but it's be on top of the water. I don't think I've seen a modern boat that doesn't have a float for the bilge either.

you buy $2000 dollars in ping pong balls (which are highly flamible I might ad)

and a fiberglass boat isn't highly flammable? :D It's kind of funny, when you go through the coast guard training they teach you the by law you have to have fire extinguisher on board for each engine, then they teach you if your fiberglass boat/pwc catches fire to just get away form it because there is no stopping it. :)

There are lots of ways to take care of sinking boats, a large pump is usually the best (surprisingly). If it's mobile, keeping it moving while trying to figure out what you're going to do is a must. Having been on a boat that's sunk I can honestly say it's an interesting experience. :rofl:

StrobeNGH

no user title
Then there is the old lady in Orem that doesn't water her lawn... she wouldn't tell the cop (just doing his job) her name, she gets locked up and now she's gonna sue. What would happen if was receiving a citation and refused to tell them my name... JAIL!!! could I sue, sure but some hoity-toity gal wouldn't take my case as a "victims rights advocate" GAY!

The common link... Utah county :greg:

That is because you are not a sympathetic plaintiff. There is NO WAY Orem will let this go to trial, frivolous or not.
This old lady is a very sympathetic plaintiff, and she will get a new house out of this.

I'm not real sure why the cop needs that woman's name, he's AT HER HOUSE for a zoning violation LOL .

Not saying she's necessarily right, but it could have been handled better all around methinks.

Besides that I'm not all that keen on cops issuing zoning violations anyway. :D

Legally, the cop was right. If this goes to trial, and the lady/plaintiff has a lapse of reason and waives her right to a jury trial in favor of a bench trial (when the judge hears and decides the case), the lady will lose.

The law (according to the Supreme Court) is that police may make a warrantless arrest for two reasons:

1 The suspect has committed a felony in the presence of the officer, or another person (no need to be an officer)

2 The suspect has committed a misdemeanor in the presence of the arresting officer

Not watering one's lawn in Orem seems to be a statutorily created misdemeanor.

If the officer asked if this was her home, and if she had watered her lawn recently, and she answered that it was her home, and that she hadn't watered her lawn recently, she will be deemed to have committed a misdemeanor in the presence of the officer and he is justified in arresting her.

That being said, don't be surprised if he is released from his job.
There is simply no reason to arrest an old woman for not watering her lawn (even if you are legally justified).
The officer probably had a power trip and decided to show the lady who was boss. Officers like that are usually more trouble than they are worth.

Last edited:

Bart

I have to admit, I've launched my boat once in 22 years of boat ownership, without the plug. Like someone said earlier in this thread, I ran it up on plain with the bilge on. When I stopped I hopped in the water and put the plug in. What is with these people?