Beater/project Yamaha WR450f

sixstringsteve

it sounds like you're not in love with it/dissappointed. I'll be curious to see if you end up hating it more in the future, or liking it more...

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
excellent review with some interesting feedback. Too many reviews either say "why didn't I do this before, I'm never going back." or "I will never use a trials tire again". Great report.

Welcome to the club :D I wish I could tip-toe on one side of the bike without having to have my knee on the seat. I didn't realize you were 6'4"!

I've tried to include the important information about the trials tire without being too biased, hopefully others can decide for themselves based on my observations...?

Yeah, I'm no shorty! :p My bike is setup for me and it's tall, but it is still quite manageable... I never fell like it's going to cause me to drop it.

Thanks Greg. That good enough for me I'm going to have to try one out :)

I think you'll like it. IMO a trials tire would rule a trail like 5MOH!

it sounds like you're not in love with it/dissappointed. I'll be curious to see if you end up hating it more in the future, or liking it more...

Put it this way... I like it plenty. For a trail bike that sees time on the rocks, I think it's a good thing. If it lasts half as long as some guys claim, I will be happy!

Caleb

Good info Greg, so for AFC single track type riding, it should do pretty good then? I've been super tempted to throw one on to try out.

Greg

Admin
Good info Greg, so for AFC single track type riding, it should do pretty good then? I've been super tempted to throw one on to try out.

I think a trials tire would do VERY well for AFC single track, plus they don't make as much of an impact in environmentally sensitive areas like AFC!

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose

A trials tire is good for any kind of mountain riding. They hook up so well that it is actually a much more trail friendly tire since they do not spin much when you feather the clutch. There is a reason why you see almost every bike riding the montain single track in Idaho sporting a trials tire.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I have no experience with the trials tire on a bike with any substantial power like your WR. On the more tame trail bikes they are the cats meow. I think my dad runs his at 9psi. I know he put a trials tire on the front and hated it until he dropped pressure where it would grab instead of slide. Now he loves it. Lower pressure might help in the sand as well. The impact to the trail is enough of a reason I think for people who mostly ride singletrack to switch. It really is a big difference in the amount of trail disruption. I wish we could all have a low HP high torque trail bike and a speed/desert/mx bike. I hope to by the end of the summer (TTR250 and YZ450).

Greg

Admin
I have no experience with the trials tire on a bike with any substantial power like your WR. On the more tame trail bikes they are the cats meow. I think my dad runs his at 9psi. I know he put a trials tire on the front and hated it until he dropped pressure where it would grab instead of slide. Now he loves it. Lower pressure might help in the sand as well. The impact to the trail is enough of a reason I think for people who mostly ride singletrack to switch. It really is a big difference in the amount of trail disruption. I wish we could all have a low HP high torque trail bike and a speed/desert/mx bike. I hope to by the end of the summer (TTR250 and YZ450).

I never had any traction problems at 14 PSI, but next time I'm on a rocky trail ride I would like to play with lower pressures.

I don't think lower pressures will help a trials tire in the sand, but I may be wrong. I think the lack of significant voids between the knobbies is what does the trials tire in, when ridden in deep sand.

Having 2 bikes is the way to go... but 3 or 4 sounds even better! :greg:

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I have 4. Too bad 3 of them are for my kids to ride (YZ 85, YZ 125 and PW 80). I do enjoy riding my oldest son's YZ 125. It is a blast. I rode if most of one day on our Caineville trip this year.

Greg

Admin
Just to update this thread, since there have been some questions... I've sold this bike to Cheston! I'm now in search of a newer, lighter dirt bike. I have an idea what I want, but we will see if that happens. ;)

It has been a fun project, I put a LOT of time (and money) into this bike to bring it back from a sad life. The WR450 has been great, reliable and very capable! I've had many a great ride on this bike and hope to see it around on future rides with it's new owner. :cool: I'm going to miss it... matter of fact, I miss it already. :(

Greg

Admin
Holy crap... reading the first post, it was exactly 2 years ago from last Saturday (when I sold the bike) that I bought it!! Strange! :wtf:

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
Weird!!

You better buy a kick a$$ bike so I can buy it from ya in 2 years :D

Im way excited to have this bike. The build thread is what really made me go out and buy my 400. I will just keep updating this thread as things happen.

I dont have many plans to change anything. I do have to fix all of Gregs destruction from the last ride! :eek:, get the starter working properly, and someday add a Rekluse. Other than that I just plan to ride the wheels off it!

PS...

I havent even ridden it yet. LOL!! I was gonna make Greg let me ride it last saturday but me and a couple others got separated from the group and ended up lost. By the time we got back to the truck, I was completely beat and the bike had no rear brake. Russ and I will work on it this week and Im hoping to at least take it around the block

Greg

Admin
Weird!!

You better buy a kick a$$ bike so I can buy it from ya in 2 years :D

Im way excited to have this bike. The build thread is what really made me go out and buy my 400. I will just keep updating this thread as things happen.

I dont have many plans to change anything. I do have to fix all of Gregs destruction from the last ride! :eek:, get the starter working properly, and someday add a Rekluse. Other than that I just plan to ride the wheels off it!

PS... I havent even ridden it yet. LOL!! I was gonna make Greg let me ride it last saturday but me and a couple others got separated from the group and ended up lost. By the time we got back to the truck, I was completely beat and the bike had no rear brake. Russ and I will work on it this week and Im hoping to at least take it around the block

I feel bad you didn't ride it last weekend, I figured once we got back you could take it out. Didn't realize the bike would be without a rear brake! :eek:

Maybe a 300? I know someone who may be willing to deal on one.;)

Oh yeah? So it didn't sell then, eh? Deals are good, I like deals!

Good to see the WR went to a good home. Interested in what you'll choose next :cool:

Yep, I hope it works well for Cheston! I'm interested in the next bike too, I'm almost paranoid being w/o a dirt bike right now, with this great Spring weather.

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
Well....Got the bike out for a short ride with Russ, his boy and friend.

I FRIGGIN LOVE IT!

The bike fits me perfect. With the risers and the high bend bars Im completely comfy standing up. I can stand up straight and the grips are right there. No more reaching for my ankles when standing. I love the seat height as well. I can feel a big difference when throwing a leg over but once my largeness sits down my feet are flat. Bike just feels natural to me.

First impression of the trials tire is very good. The thing just grabs. Even in the loose gravel/dirt it just seems to work. Front tire was off the ground A LOT more than Im used to and I liked it.

We just went up in the foothills so its not difficult terrain. Just a fun evening ride. I cant wait to get the bike on some harder stuff and see how I do compared to the 400.

I havent changed much.

The kick starter was resting on the gas tank. You can see in the pic where it was resting and rubbing a hole. I just pulled it off and moved it one tooth on the crank case and now its sitting good.

wr450-1_zps3c621edc.jpg

The no brake issue was just a loose fitting. Tightened it up, and bled it and its good as new. Also just put a bigger washer on the side panel that Greg ripped off its also good as new.

Greg included a used trail tech endurance computer with the bike. I built a small bracket for it and got it installed.
2013-03-25164702_zps9144ebe7.jpg

Im as excited as a bridegroom on his wedding night! :D