Beater/project Yamaha WR450f

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
My ass just couldn't handle it any more. I had to do some modification so that it would pass inspection this year so I added the LED turn signals(thanks Caleb, Anarchy Motorsports) and took my seat apart and added some foam. Turned out great and look forward to trying it out this next week. I am going to St George riding.

:cool: Good to hear!

My modified seat is quite an improvement over stock, I'm sure yours will be much better than it was before.

rholbrook

I went for a quick ride tonight on the fire break above Kaysville and it was wonderful. My friend wanted to try it and now he is planning on picking up foam so we can do his this week.

Jared

Formerly DeadEye J
This is the first I've seen of the WR, Greg. Nice find and great work on the rehab!

How do you like that Maxis rear tire? I have the same one sitting in the garage waiting for the Kenda to wear out.

Jared

Greg

Admin
I went for a quick ride tonight on the fire break above Kaysville and it was wonderful. My friend wanted to try it and now he is planning on picking up foam so we can do his this week.

Good to hear! Glad I helped influence the seat improvement... it's nice, eh? :D

This is the first I've seen of the WR, Greg. Nice find and great work on the rehab!

How do you like that Maxis rear tire? I have the same one sitting in the garage waiting for the Kenda to wear out.

Jared

Thanks Jared, it was a unplanned & quick project. The WR much more nimble than the DR650 and way easier for me to ride faster. Probably to the point that I'm a danger to myself, but that's half the fun! I can't wait to get it on the mountain single track with it, I think it will do very well.

I like the Maxxis tire, it seems to be holding up well to rocky desert riding and it hooks up well enough. I'd buy it again, if that means anything.

Greg

Admin
Picked up some parts for my Beater WR450... I just hope this ends well! I could see my body and my driving record NOT liking the latest mods... :rofl: There is a local go cart track which allows bikes on, but it probably won't be open again until next Spring. I have a feeling that it's going to be a long Winter with this bike sitting in the garage! :-\ A local guy listed his WR450 SuperMoto parts on craigslist and they were a steal, so I had to snag them! The wheel package is Talon hubs, Excel Rims, 320mm front rotor & caliper spacer and Michelin Pilot racing slicks. The guy also had a bunch of misc parts he wanted gone, a new SuMo front fender, Trail Tech computer, rear luggage rack, multiple spare chains & sprockets, etc.

I may have to take the bike out this afternoon after the temps get into the 40's! :greg:

PC100514-XL.jpg

PC100515-XL.jpg

PC100516-XL.jpg

PC100517-XL.jpg

PC100518-XL.jpg

Greg

Admin
Awesome...I loved my SM wheels. :D

I can almost guarantee you it's going to get me into trouble on the streets! With knobbies I like to push what's 'legal'... I hope I can keep my riding under control with this setup.

I'd really like to spend some time at a track racing, this seems to be the least expensive way to race. I wonder if MMP offers SuperMoto racing??

Caleb

I can almost guarantee you it's going to get me into trouble on the streets! With knobbies I like to push what's 'legal'... I hope I can keep my riding under control with this setup.

I'd really like to spend some time at a track racing, this seems to be the least expensive way to race. I wonder if MMP offers SuperMoto racing??

Yeah MMP offers sm racing. They have track days all the time. There's a large group of locals over on super Moto junkies. I'm sure you could get some info over there.

Greg

Admin
Just got back from a brisk ride with the supermoto setup... awesome! :greg:

The temp's are in the low 40's, I rode the bike around and got the tires warmed up, then went and terrorized the neighbors that lived on some nice, curvy roads outside of Fruita. Ended up in a church parking lot practicing dropping into turns, making sharp turns one way, then reversing the turn the other way. The tires were about as warmed up as they'd get in this chilly weather, but it seems like it wouldn't take much more to drag a peg. The bike drops right down and feels solid leaned over!

Not surprising, the turn in rate is very high/fast. With the small front wheel, the bike just drops right down. It's very different and will take some getting used to. My bike has a surge/hesitation that I need to address, it makes riding tight turns a bit jerky.

I love it! :D

Greg

Admin
Hahaa, I'm a dumb ass.... took my WR out for the 2nd ride since taking off the knobbies and putting on the slicks... and proceeded to lay the bike down in 2nd gear right out of my driveway, in front of the neighbors.

I should know better, but cold asphalt + cold tires + lots of throttle = the bike and I sliding down the street, separately. No real damage done, some scrapes on the bike and slightly shredded pants. I really better wait until it warms up again before pushing the limits. Even better, find a track to mess around on, not the city streets. To make it better, our road was chip sealed, but the final coat of tar was never applied, making it very gritty.

Greg

Admin
Well, I decided to list the Supermoto parts on KSL and see what happens. I really like having them and it's a blast on the street, but I'm worried that I'll either hurt myself or get into some legal trouble with this stuff. Its the wrong time of year to sell stuff like this, but I figured I'd put it out there. If it doesn't sell, it doesn't sell!

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=18699618&cat=463&lpid=&search=

Greg

Admin
Well, the Supermoto parts are long gone... way too much fun (and danger) for me!

Next on the list of things to try.... a rear trials tire! I've heard nothing but good about the traction that trials tires give to dirt bikes, so I ordered a Pirelli MT43, size 4.00-18, from Rocky Mountain ATV. The Pirelli MT43 is a DOT approved trials tire, I have heard that some guys are getting as much as 2,500 miles out of them! The dowside to the trials tire is that they tend to wash out when leaned over, lock up easier on descents and apparently they get enough traction they you may just wheelie over if you're not careful! The trials tires don't like to be spun a whole lot, apparently knobs will begin to come apart. No biggie! One thing to note, the trials tire is substantially taller than a standard MX tire... my WR was already getting up there with the extra foam in the seat, time will tell if the added height is an issue.

I also included an Ultra HD tube, as the trials tires don't have the greatest sidewalls and are usually run at lower pressures. I mounted the tire up using the factory single rim lock, but have heard that some folks recommend 2 rim locks. I'm going to try the 1 and see if it works fine.

I haven't had a chance to ride the bike with the trials tire, probably not until next weekend... but I'm looking forward to trying it out! I will be sure to report back. ;)

P1010014-L.jpg

P1010015-L.jpg

P1010016-L.jpg

sixstringsteve

I've heard great stuff about a trials tire out back. I understand it requires a lot of people change their riding style a bit...looking forward to the report.

Greg

Admin
I've heard great stuff about a trials tire out back. I understand it requires a lot of people change their riding style a bit...looking forward to the report.

I've heard the same thing about riding style, I can be pretty heavy handed with the throttle, so we will see how this ends up working out.

I really would like to add a Rekluse to the WR sooner rather than later, seems like these 2 items will make technical, rocky riding much more pleasant.