Best MT tire for a Dual purpose rig

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I bought mine on ebay. $600 bucks for 4 35's, shipped to my door. Brand new of course.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin

STAG

On my grind
I'll be givin the Nitto Mud Grapplers a shot here in a little bit... I love the B****chin tread pattern and I've heard good things about them on and offroad... but I have also heard a few bad experiences with them on or off as well...

Bear T

Tacoma free since '93
You can get the Maxxis through 4wheelparts, they just have to order them from Interstate Tire so the price isn't the best. Not sure, maybe Von could chime in, but I think that Ben Hanks can get Maxxis tires too.

Personally, I think the ProComp Extreme M/T is the best multi-use tire for the money. Great tread life, smooth, quiet, and great offroad traction. But I also like the Maxxis Bighorn or Mickey Thompson MTZ's.

Greg

Admin
If I were looking for a dual purpose Mud Terrain tire I'd have to go with the BFG KM2's no questions asked. The few sets I've seen offroad seem to perform well and have BFG quality built into them.

For me right now, BFG All-Terrain's do the job.

1993yj

BFG MT hands down for a dual purpose rig. I have them on my jeep and they get good mileage and work well off road.

I used to have the MTRs on my truck and would never purchase them again. They wear too fast. I now have the Toyo MTs and it looks like I will get twice the mileage out of them vs the MTRs, but they are a hard compound and I doubt they would do as well off road as the BFG MT.

Chevycrew

We run trxus mt's in the 37" size on the wifes truck, they do great in the mud, and great on the highway. She loves them, just wants to go bigger.

About 20k on the tires and 3/4 tread remaining. Thats with worn out IFS.

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
Les Schwab sells maxxis tires

That is where I got mine from :).. I love my Bighorns.. I detest Les Schwab - When I got my tires on they said my alignment was off (it was and I knew it) and that the warranty would be void or some crap if I didn't get it fixed.. I was sick at the time so I told them to just do the alignment.. well they said it was good then and I drove to Moab and back and in that 1 trip with bad alignment (that they did) it ate about 50% of the tread..the Schwab said tuff luck.. after doing my own alignment the rears that are now on the front have 90% of their tread left after a year...

anyhow the Bighorns seem to last quite a while.. 15K on them now lots of offroad miles and no issues at all.. they clear mud well and deep snow.. they are not the best on light dusting of snow compared to my old BFG AT's but I love them.. hopefully when this set dies someone else can get them for me other than the Schwab

Vonski

nothing to see here...
I agree, the KM2's are a great tire, no doubt. However, don't overlook this one by Pro Comp. Yes, Pro Comp (who knew?).

I'm not a big fan of their other tires, but the "Xtreme M/T" is a good tire...

Attachments

• 2006-11-29_procomp_xtreme_mt_2.jpg
    2006-11-29_procomp_xtreme_mt_2.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 14

Greg

Admin
I agree, the KM2's are a great tire, no doubt. However, don't overlook this one by Pro Comp. Yes, Pro Comp (who knew?).

I'm not a big fan of their other tires, but the "Xtreme M/T" is a good tire...

Seriously? I've always looked at ProComp as the bastard child of 4x4 products. I've never been impressed with their tires, esp the X-Terrain.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
I know, I know... but Pro Comp finally got one right.

If you like, or have heard anyone say good things about the Maxxis Big Horn, this is simply a better tire by comparison.