BIG buggy build - 4 seat - build with pics

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
The wheel centers are only tacked in.
I'm trying to decide which offset to go with.

In the first pic, the wheel center is 2" offset, in the second pic, it's 3".

Does anyone have any input to offer?

clearance with 2" offset

Attachments

• offset 001.jpg
    offset 001.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 18

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I would do the 2 inch, that tire is gonna bulge quite a bit when aired down. Also I assume your hubs are flipped in? If so that can give you what? 6 inch es more if you need it.

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
Yeah, hubs are flipped in.

With the 2" offset, the overall width is 92", with the 3" offset the width is cut down to 90"

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I was wondering how this was coming along, actually checked out the thread yesterday! So the links are next, then coilovers... when do you think you'll have it rolling?

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
Heck, I'm not sure Greg. :-\
My work schedule can be hectic, with sporadic business travel and all. It's hard to say.

I'm soooooo anxious to take that sucker out.

You're right, links come next. I picked up all of the heims. 1 1/4" for the bottoms, 1" for the tops. QA-1's :greg:
I've made a bunch of the brackets too.

On another note, I've been scrounging more parts up for the "return to center" feature on the rear axle. Hopefully, I'll be able to tinker with that soon too. :D

I also finished making a pretty nifty fuel accumulator, very similar to the one commercially available through BC Bronco's. I'll post pics of it tomorrow.

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
Looks bitchin! Nice to see work getting done on this thing!!!

Keep me apprised of your rear steer. :D

I was hoping that you'd chime in Tacoma. :)

I'll send you detailed pics of the rear steer setup as it progresses (or you're welcome to drop by). The sensing ram concept is out, a more simple method is in the works.

Do you have any input for me regarding the wheel offset?

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I'll probably stop by this coming week....

as far as offset goes, pretty much whatever you need to:

1. clear your steering and brakes
2. get you the width you want
2a. fit on the trailer-- close corrollary to 2. :D

The main issue with offset is clearance usually, but bearing abuse is really good to keep in mind as well. Obviously, Rockwells under a tube chassis aren't going to be at risk. So I'd consider the other issues....

Now, PERSONALLY I like the look of a tucked-in wheel with lots of backspacing on Rockwells, and if you've got the room, go for it. Also helps keep the width down. I am not sure if you mean "backspacing" (distance from WMS to edge of rim), or "offset" (space from outside edge of rim to lug nut mounting surface).

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
Pics of my fuel accumulator. :)

- Remote oil filter bracket from summit racing (transdapt part number 1028)
- napa screw on fuel filter (part number 3281)
- 6" long 1/4" npt pipe nipple from home depot (with about .600 cut off)

Use a 1/4" npt tap and thread the i.d. of the 3/4" threaded fitting. Use some teflon tape and install the 6" long pipe nipple. It's a little too long, so I cut .600 off.

Attachments

• fuel accumulator 002.jpg
    fuel accumulator 002.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 20

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
A return line (back to the tank) is needed, so drill a hole at the top of the remote oil filter bracket to allow for this. Tap it to 1/4" NPT.

Attachments

• fuel accumulator 003.jpg
    fuel accumulator 003.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 5
  • fuel accumulator 001.jpg
    fuel accumulator 001.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 3

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
I'll use this pic again to describe the function of the thing....

The large connection on the left is where fuel enters (via a low pressure pump).

The small hole in the center is the one I drilled and tapped, which allows for excess fuel (and air) to escape (back to the tank).

The large connection on the right is where my high pressure fuel pump will draw from. This port is connected to the 6" pipe nipple and draws from the bottom of the filter.

I think you'd have to be at one heck of an angle to draw air with this sucker. :D

Attachments

• fuel accumulator #3.jpg
    fuel accumulator #3.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I'm liking the homebrew accumulator! How much fuel would you estimate that filter will hold?

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
ooohhhh I forgot about the accumulator. That was pretty slick. I've got a spare Amsoil dual filter setup, might have to rig something up w/it. :D

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I haven't reallt heard of any fuel problems with theses engines, why the accumulator? I know that some people had some supply issues with the E2000 pump at high rpms, but they switch to a higher volume pump, I think the 8274? And all is well.

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
I haven't reallt heard of any fuel problems with theses engines, why the accumulator? I know that some people had some supply issues with the E2000 pump at high rpms, but they switch to a higher volume pump, I think the 8274? And all is well.

Nothing to do with the engine. I built the accumulator because my fuel cell is fairly flat and shallow. I didn't want the fuel pump to be sucking air in off camber situations. If I come up with another solution (such as the walbro pick ups) then I'll ditch the accumulator.

I'm in agreement with you about the fuel pumps. I'll likely step up to the 8274 for the high pressure pump.

Does anyone have input regarding a good quality, reliable, low pressure electric fuel pump?

Last edited:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
How much pressure does your fuel pump make and will that damage the filter element?

Doesn't matter, that filter won't see any pressure. It has the return port, so any excess pressure would just bleed back to the tank. All the high pressure stuff would be on the other side of the high pressure pump, heading to the motor.