Build Thread: Sixstringsteve's 2002 Tacoma double cab: Carlos

Max Power

Bryce
I like my tent a little higher as well.

I would recommend installing a set of air bags in the rear to increase stability while driving down the highway. Your center of gravity is going to be higher and you will have a bed loaded with gear. Your vehicles handling will be noticeably affected and air bags will make a big difference in ride quality. Maybe Lewis will chime in.

One of my favorite things about a RTT is you can keep your bedding in it. One less thing to deal with when setting up camp.

sixstringsteve

I don't plan on going to airbags anytime soon, but that's something to keep in the back of my mind if I experience those issues. With the Dakar add-a-leaf I think I'll be pretty good, especially when coupled with the 2882 springs up front and a swaybar. We'll see though.

notajeep

Just me
Another tent tip that I forgot... When you install the cover, make sure that you hinge it opposite the tent hinge... So when you have to zip the cover, all the excess tent material will not be fighting you and getting stuck in the zipper. Much easier set-up and take-down this way.

sixstringsteve

Another tent tip that I forgot... When you install the cover, make sure that you hinge it opposite the tent hinge... So when you have to zip the cover, all the excess tent material will not be fighting you and getting stuck in the zipper. Much easier set-up and take-down this way.

Great idea, thanks! That makes a lot of sense. I wouldn't have thought of that. I should make a "putting your RTT together" video for youtube, I think it'd be a hit.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Here are my RTT rack plans. You can tell I"m not an engineer. :D This is not to scale, and I used powerpoint to make this. Everyone knows the really good designers don't use autocad or bend-tech, they use powerpoint.

RTT%2520rack%2520plans.jpg

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
When I was building my RTT rack for my GMC, my qualifier was the ability to get a propane tank, tool boxes, gas and water tanks, etc... from the side of the truck. My RTT sits just a little higher than the roof of the truck, but it's mostly out of the wind. I'm happy with where it ended up, I've camped with it and it's a good height. Not super tall, but not crazy low. Of course, my truck is quite tall after the solid axle and 37's.

http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?88685-Project-Dual-Sport-1998-GMC-Sierra

P2140688-L.jpg

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
Greg, do you mind measuring the height from the top of the bed rails to the bottom of the tent?

No problem!

15" from the bed rail to the crossmember on the rack, 17.5" from the bed rail to the bottom of the tent. I built my rack so that the bends in the tubing were the same width as the bottom of the tent. I should have enough room for a canopy in the future on the side opposite of the hinge.

IMO 1.75" is going to be pretty large. I'm sure it will work fine, but if there is any chance you can find something smaller, it would look better... but that's just my opinion. ;)

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Greg, do you mind measuring the height from the top of the bed rails to the bottom of the tent?

I raised my rack higher before getting rid of the tent and I'd agree with Greg with going higher than the cab. The room under the tent was pretty handy. What I had worked quite well but more height would have been better. I was ready to go about as high as Greg's was but started thinking through the whole concept with my increasingly limited mobilities (hopefully that's short term?) and thought I should just move on to something I can work with better? (still trying to figure out what that is vs. cost)

clfrnacwby

Recovery Addict
Regarding the RTT rack, I can go with a 24' stick of 1.75 0.090 wall ($37) or 0.420 wall ($51). I'm thinking 0.90 wall is PLENTY for a 150 lb tent. I'm not building a roll cage, so I'm not too worried.

My plan is to use 1.5" .120 wall DOM and 3/16" plate steel. The bed rack made by AllPro uses that same material.

sixstringsteve

Interesting. The allpro one looks sweet. Fortunately for us, we can build it for about 1/10th the cost, and it won't be bolt-together.

sixstringsteve

Thanks for the offer! i'll be heading over to chocflip's house tonight and we'll throw it into bend-tech. I just need to chop up my 24' stick and take it over to his place.

sixstringsteve

I'd like to eventually mount some LED lights up under this rack so I can impress Davy at camp and see the stuff in my bed. I'd like to route the wires up inside the rack to keep it clean looking. I'm not sure the best way to seal the hole where the wire exits the rack near the light...