Build Thread: Sixstringsteve's 2002 Tacoma double cab: Carlos

sixstringsteve

interesting... I'll have to pick your brain some more. i'd like to swap my radiator for a 5-speed radiator. It'll solve 2 problems:

1) I won't have to worry about the strawberry milshake symptom where the engine coolant gets into the tranny cooler and ruins the tranny

2) the manual transmission radiator doesn't hang down below the bumper so it'll be out of the way from getting smashed on rocks.

sixstringsteve

I've got one on my 4runner. Putting one on isn't real difficult. I think of it as cheap insurance, beat replacing a transmission.

which model did you go with? Do you have a tranny temp sensor on it? I heard you can over-cool your tranny and I don't want to do that either.

sixstringsteve

Looks like it's going to be a busy week before FYTO. :D Thanks Kurt!

IMG_1903.JPG

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I dropped the gears, front ARB, diffs, and install kit off at sixstates today. I should have the gears back by Friday night, which means I can drive it out of the garage on Saturday!

Max Power

Bryce
That tent is money well spent.

Do you think a tranny cooler will give you enough longevity out of your transmission to make it worth it. I would rather find a good deal on a lower mileage transmission and throw that in if reliability is what you are going for.

sixstringsteve

Currently I don't have any tranny issues. When crawling or towing or hauling heavy loads, the trannies get warm. I'd like to mitigate that, plus I"d like a radiator that doesn't hang down so much. The only way to remedy that is with a standalone cooler.

dutchman

KI7KSV
which model did you go with? Do you have a tranny temp sensor on it? I heard you can over-cool your tranny and I don't want to do that either.

I went with a B&M, don't remember the model number off the top of my head. I don't have a sensor, but a scan gauge will read the temp if you've got one.

If you're worried about the current state of your tranny with the mileage on it it'd be better to get a new one. The external cooler is only to prevent your engine coolant from mixing with the tranny fluid. Not sure about Tacomas, but in the 4runners the radiator/ tranny cooler tend to fail and the fluids will mix and that ruins your tranny. Known as the pink/ strawberry milkshake problem.

sixstringsteve

I went with a B&M, don't remember the model number off the top of my head. I don't have a sensor, but a scan gauge will read the temp if you've got one.

If you're worried about the current state of your tranny with the mileage on it it'd be better to get a new one. The external cooler is only to prevent your engine coolant from mixing with the tranny fluid. Not sure about Tacomas, but in the 4runners the radiator/ tranny cooler tend to fail and the fluids will mix and that ruins your tranny. Known as the pink/ strawberry milkshake problem.

My tyranny is great, super healthy
Id like yo avoid the pink milkshake and also Gain some ground clearance and protection by switching to a 5 speed radiator.