Build Thread: Sixstringsteve's 2002 Tacoma double cab: Carlos

sixstringsteve

Then we put the tire on, jacked it up to full bump, and turned from full lock steering to full lock steering to make sure nothing hit.

IMG_1882.JPG

IMG_1883.JPG

IMG_1886.JPG

Once we were sure nothing hit, we cut out a template and welded in our new sheet metal.

IMG_1860.JPG

IMG_1861.JPG

IMG_1872.JPG

IMG_1875.JPG

IMG_1867.JPG

IMG_1868.JPG

IMG_1869.JPG

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

We checked for pinholes and now it's currently awaiting primer, seam sealer, then herculiner. I can't thank everyone enough that helped. Sorry I didn't have more meaningful work for you guys, but every little bit helped, from getting the pizza to being fireman to cutting, hammering, and welding. You guys rock!

sixstringsteve

Haha, that's not saying much. I still suck at it. It's not pretty but it is functional and there aren't any pinholes. I cleaned the metal off a lot better this time, which made a big difference. That stuff is HARD to weld though. There are so many layers of seam sealer in between the sheets of metal. I wonder if the flux core gives it more pinholes. I'd love to try welding with gas someday.

Bart

You would be amazed at the difference. Only trouble outside is if the breeze comes up and blows the gas.

Rock Taco

You know it kills me to look at this thread and see my former truck getting cut up...I think I might have to boycott! lol

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Haha, that's not saying much. I still suck at it. It's not pretty but it is functional and there aren't any pinholes. I cleaned the metal off a lot better this time, which made a big difference. That stuff is HARD to weld though. There are so many layers of seam sealer in between the sheets of metal. I wonder if the flux core gives it more pinholes. I'd love to try welding with gas someday.

You are welcome to borrow my welder when you are ready to try.

sixstringsteve

You know it kills me to look at this thread and see my former truck getting cut up...I think I might have to boycott! lol

I'll bet it does! Boycot it for a week or two, then you'll like what you see. Just know that it will continue to be loved and well-used.

ricsrx

lets get more heat in the garage, i can see them filing a grievance for inhospitable working conditions....lets see I saw documented photos of 3.5 guys frezzing, that would be double time at the rate of pizza + drinks=????

Nice work

sixstringsteve

lets get more heat in the garage, i can see them filing a grievance for inhospitable working conditions....lets see I saw documented photos of 3.5 guys frezzing, that would be double time at the rate of pizza + drinks=????

:D

actually, it was so toasty we had guys working in short-sleeve shirts most of the day.

D

Deleted member 12904

Looks Good! Next time you have the welder out you should do some tube caps on those sliders. And welding with gas is the only way to go. Do you have a regulator and just need a bottle? or do you need the whole setup?

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
I really like that you tub the wells personally, I hate when I stuff the tire and hear rubbing. This is something I would like to do eventually as well