Build Thread: Sixstringsteve's 2002 Tacoma double cab: Carlos

Thardy

"FARM TOY"
Make sure you document the tubing will over here on rme for us. I don't think I will have to do it on the runner with the sas but if need the pics would be nice.

sixstringsteve

Good reminder. I'll document it really well, a lot better than the last time I did it. Eric, I may dub you the photographer if you don't mind.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
time lapse, time lapse, time lapse. that was a chant, but no one else joined in and my kids are looking at me weird.

ricsrx

IMG-20121207-00290.jpg

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Since you always do these on the days I work, i'm just going to have to show up to your house while your at work and unbolt something to say I helped.

blznnp

was good to meet you guys today, sorry I couldn't get down sooner to help out with the other stuff, I guess fire watch was kinda helpful.

sixstringsteve

2012-12-07_18-53-09_71.jpg

My friends and I got a TON done yesterday. Many thanks to everyone who came to lend a hand. Sorry I didn't have more work for you to do.

First up, we swapped out the TC upper control arms for the Specialty Products/Light Racing Uppers. For those wondering how the SP/LR uca's compare in size to the TC's, they're pretty equal in terms of beefiness.

IMG_1846.JPG

IMG_1840.JPG

IMG_1845.JPG

sixstringsteve

After that, it was time to tub the front fenders and make room for the 35's at full stuff. I'll be doing a separate write up on "how to tub" later, but here are the highlights.

remove grill, headlights, corner lights, and fenders.

IMG_1887.JPG

Say goodbye to this pristine inner fender.

IMG_1847.JPG

IMG_1853.JPG

IMG_1850.JPG

Remove a portion of the inner rubber coating that loves to catch on fire. I removed a little too much, you don't need to go this far to the left.

IMG_1851.JPG

IMG_1852.JPG

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I always draw this line before tubbing. It's pretty much the point of no return. Don't cut past this line. I cut about 1cm less than the line, then I check where things lie.

IMG_1854.JPG

There are quite a few layers of sheet metal in that corner.

IMG_1855.JPG

IMG_1856.JPG

One of my favorite helpers:

IMG_1857.JPG

IMG_1858.JPG

Getting closer.

IMG_1859.JPG