Build Thread: Sixstringsteve's 2002 Tacoma double cab: Carlos

sixstringsteve

Just to prove I got some work done tonight. I got the front end up on jackstands and removed the coilovers.

IMG_1840.JPG

IMG_1841.JPG

Caleb

No doubt. $750 plus shipping though. It's cheaper than the shrockworks and I like it even more. It's VERY similar in design.

Shrockworks is still by far my favorite bumper for those trucks, but the price tag hurts...a lot! That's a good looking bumper there.

clfrnacwby

Recovery Addict
I've heard that wheels spacers are illegal in Utah and you'll fail a Safety inspection if you have them. Is that true?

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I've heard that wheels spacers are illegal in Utah and you'll fail a Safety inspection if you have them. Is that true?

Depends on how you read The Book. Actual spacers, the shims that slide over your existing studs, are right out. "Wheel adapters" that bolt on to your existing studs and provide a new stud pattern for the wheel are legal. Between the two are Spidertrax style spacers, which work exactly like the wheel adapters except they don't change the stud pattern. Because The Book explicitly says "change the stud pattern" when describing the wheel adapters, lots of places will fail the Spidertrax and Trailgear spacers.

sixstringsteve

That's true. But there will be a handful of things on this truck that are borderline legal. I've never had wheel spacers be a problem in the past. My fenders will technically stick out 1/4" past the fenders too.

Last edited:

ricsrx

Because The Book explicitly says "change the stud pattern" when describing the wheel adapters, lots of places will fail the Spidertrax and Trailgear spacers.

x2 yes they will...... I tried to convice the inspection staition that they were adapters, but it didnt fly, i guess it didnt help that it was a toyota truck with stock toyota wheels....

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I'm going to have to run spacers to match my rear axle width and fit my TRD wheels, but unless I can find "a guy" I'm gonna keep a set of stock wheels and tires handy. :D

sixstringsteve

I just ordered my 5.29s and install kits from Cruiseroutfitters. Looking forward to selectable lockers front and rear with 5.29s.

I'm also trying to decide which winch I want to go with. I'm liking the price and features of the smittybilt x20 8k comp. I also like the superwinch talon 9.5 option. Both are fully submersible underwater.