Build Thread: Sixstringsteve's 2002 Tacoma double cab: Carlos

jentzschman

I just ordered my 5.29s and install kits from Cruiseroutfitters. Looking forward to selectable lockers front and rear with 5.29s.

I'm also trying to decide which winch I want to go with. I'm liking the price and features of the smittybilt x20 8k comp. I also like the superwinch talon 9.5 option. Both are fully submersible underwater.

Dang, building this guy up good eh! So cool Steve. Going to stick with 33's then or going to run 35's?

sixstringsteve

And e locker rear? Where are you mounting your compressor? Will it have a storage tank and hose to fill tires or fix flats?

Yes, the elocker is already in the rear. I don't have a compressor yet, but I plan on mounting it under the hood. I don't plan on a storage tank, I can fix flats directly from the compressor (unless I blow a bead, which has never happened to me).

sixstringsteve

I'll be swapping upper.control arms tonight on preparation for the rubbing this weekend. If all goes well, I might get to start cutting.tonight or tomorrow.

B2-Bomber

dear jesus. 11 pages in 4 days. this thread is hauling isn't it?

*edit looks like my post ended up on page 12 so i guess it is 12 pages in 4 days

sixstringsteve

what can I say, the excitement is contagious. This rig might be driving under its own power in the next two weeks. I'm excited.

sixstringsteve

Wrenching party tomorrow. There is a ton of work to do:

- pull the thirds from the runner
- pull the rear third from the tacoma
- swap the ucas on the Tacoma
- cut and tub the fenders on the tacoma.

SpeedyVic

That's true. But there will be a handful of things on this truck that are borderline legal. I've never had wheel spacers be a problem in the past. My fenders will technically stick out 1/4" past the fenders too.

I usually take my cars to Jiffy Lube to get an inspetion done here in Logan. They do a Hunter brake test and don't even pull the wheel off.

sixstringsteve

Wow. You are the first person I have heard of that recommends Logan's Jiffy Lube lol. Oh the stories I could tell about that place :ugh:

lol, same here. Jiffy Lube is the LAST place I'd take any vehicle for inspection. Maybe you have a lenient jiffy lube. Mine invents rules.

sixstringsteve

back on topic.

I got the UCAs and OME suspension pulled from the runner last night (thanks for the help Kyle). I just need to swap the UCAs over and we'll be ready to start cutting.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
You guys should probably remove the names of your favorite shops that let shaddy stuff pass, this is a public forum after all.

sixstringsteve

ok, take the inspection talk to another thread. Let's keep this on topic. My build threads get derailed quickly and I want to keep this thread relevant for people who may search it in the future.

sixstringsteve

8 am - 6 pm. It's going to be snowy outside. :( That just means we'll get to spend all our efforts on the tubbing.

Last edited: