Build Thread: Sixstringsteve's 2002 Tacoma double cab: Carlos

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Hah. Sounds complicated.

actually the more I think about it the easier it might be. The biggest obstacle might just be noise from the hinged pieces.

Sample picture of what I'm thinking, you would have to have parallel vertical supports and the tent would move away from the cab as it goes down but it would allow various heights.

height_adjust.jpg

*disclaimer about this violates all the laws about KISS (Keep It Simple Steve) ;)

sixstringsteve

Wow, what a day. 9 AM - 3:15 AM, but I'm finally done for the night. I'll update with more details tomorrow, but she's rolling again. Still a lot of work to do before this weekend, and a few setbacks, but the front cutting is finally done.

IMG_1910.JPG

Current state:
- 2882 OME front springs installed on OME Nitrocharger Sport struts
- 5/29s installed front and rear
- arb locker up front, elocker rear (neither is wired yet)
- Diff drop installed
- rear Dakar springs w/Nitrocharger Sport rear shocks. I still need to ad the Dakar add-a-leaf to match the heavy front springs and to handle the weight of the RTT eventually.

sixstringsteve

Unfortunately the knuckle is stripped, so there are only 3 bolts holding the lower ball joint in, instead of 4. I have several options. Either way it's out of my league and I need someone to fix it for me.

1) pay someone to put a helicoil in (my preference)

or

2) buy a used knuckle (Thardy has one I can buy) and swap all the parts over on to it.

hopefully I can get a better idea of what needs to be done on Monday once the stores open up. I think FYTO will be cutting it pretty close.

I haven't done much at all on the RTT rack, that's the least of my worries for the moment. I'm worried I won't have this thing buttoned up before FYTO. I'm hoping I can find a shop that can helicoil this for me. Hopefully Sixstates can hook me up. Any other recommendations other than sixstates?

Last edited:

blznnp

why do you need a shop to do the helicoil? are the ball joints just hard to install an uninstall?

Last edited:

Cascadia

Undecided
Is it driving yet? How soon do you plan on doing a front bumper and winch? I had those same coils on mine planning on doing a bumper and winch. I never did and it rode pretty dang stiff. Enough that my wife didn't like riding in my truck after the lift.

sixstringsteve

The ball joints aren't stripped, its the knuckle that they bolt on to. To remove the.knuckle.you pull upper and.lower ball joints, cv axle, hubs, and brakes.

sixstringsteve

It totally killed my motivation to.keep.working.once I found out we couldn't fix it. But I'm hopeful a shop can fix it in time.

sixstringsteve

Is it driving yet? How soon do you plan on doing a front bumper and winch? I had those same coils on mine planning on doing a bumper and winch. I never did and it rode pretty dang stiff. Enough that my wife didn't like riding in my truck after the lift.

The rear tires rub like crazy, even in my driveway. Front bumper will be in a month or two. I'm prepared for it to be too stiff, I just didn't want to have to redo the front suspension a month or two from now.

Cascadia

Undecided
That's why I did the heavier springs too. But sold it before I could get a bumper on. If I buy it back though ill be doing a bumper and winch.

Forgot to mention, the owner texted me from the note I left. He will sell it back to me. For just a little less than I sold it to him for. So I'm trying to sell my truck.

193kyle

X2 on replacing the knuckle, do it right and forget about it. Let me know if you need help tracking down a knuckle, I can call my buddy in N Ogden.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Man, that's a drag, Steve. If you miss FYTO too we'll have to throw a pity party in your garage.

Steve has at least on back up vehicle ;)

I'm available tomorrow if you need help Steve, but I did volunteer my help to Kevin first