Build Thread: Sixstringsteve's 2002 Tacoma double cab: Carlos

sixstringsteve

Oh, that kind...

x2, I was thinking he meant shop compressor. Still no compressor on the truck. I can't afford that for a bit, so the front will remain open-diff until I can swing an ARB compressor.

I'm going to call sixstates in orem tomorrow and see if they can do the threadsert for me. Wish me luck.

sixstringsteve

I did the initial break-in on the new gears tonight. 18 miles round trip, not exceeding 50 mph. This truck is SOLID. It drives like it's brand new. No vibes, or weird noises (other than the rear tires hitting the plastic fender flares when I hit a pothole). I think 5.29's were a good choice. Maybe a tad lower than I need, but loaded up with gear it'll be nice. I freaking love this truck. I just hope I can get this spindle fixed tomorrow and move on to more important things like the add-a-leaf, frame plates, and trimming the rear fenders.

Then I'll just need the RTT rack and a few other minor things to be ready for FYTO. I'm starting to feel hope again. Hopefully we can get that knuckle/spindle taken care of tomorrow and I can stop stressing about being ready for the trip this weekend.

The 2882's do ride a bit stiff, but not much worse than my old Icons. It'll be nice to see how they ride once I add the add-a-leaf, tent, winch, and front bumper eventaully. Did I mention I love this truck? There's no doubt this is the right vehicle for me. :D

sabatoa1

I love the 4door tacomas, I have been thinking about getting one for awhile. That would mean that I have to get rid of one of my rigs first. I see that you chop out your floors for clearence to run bigger tires on ifs, it looks clean when you are finished great job!!!

blznnp

steve, I have two thomas 317 ( think they are that model) compressors, last time I checked them they worked, you can have them if you want, they are older but I am not planning on using them how I was going to.not sure if you have a tank or not but I have a 5 gallon tank you could use till you pick up a tank. The tank I will need back, but not for a while, long while.

carsonc1974

for one weekend, if it was me. I would have no problem drilling and tapping 1 of the 4 bolt holes... wouldnt bother me in the slightest.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I took it to Sixstates. They hooked.me up. We did the helicoil And they even gave me a spare knuckle for when I decide to do the wheel bearings. The bolt torqued yo 59 ft lbs just like it should, so we are good to go. What a relief.

Last edited:

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Glad you were able to get that sorted out Steve. Now on to bigger and better things instead of the randomness that pops up to throw a curve ball at you.

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
I took it to Sixstates. They hooked.me up. We did the helicoil And they even gave me a spare knuckle for when I decide to do the wheel bearings. The bolt torqued yo 59 ft lbs just like it should, so we are good to go. What a relief.

It's been said many times, but the guys at Six States in Orem are the best!

Good to hear Steve, hopefully you're back on track for the upcoming trip!

sixstringsteve

lucky dude. How difficult are the front wheel bearing. I was going to help Kyle do his with my press.

What's all involved?

It just takes a really big press. My 20t press isn't strong enough. I've heard stories of machine shops breaking their presses because they underestimated what it'd take. I think a 50t press would be fine.

Also, it destroys your bearings when you press the old.ones out. So unless you're already planning on replacing the bearings, that'll be an extra expense (which is why I opted for the helicoil this time).

Last edited:

ricsrx

i have a 50 ton if any one ever needs one.. its very possible that jigs will have to be made as well