Build Thread: Sixstringsteve's 2002 Tacoma double cab: Carlos

sixstringsteve

can I just cut a relief in the old bearing, heat it with a torch and tap it on the side?

I'm the wrong guy to ask. Apparently its just as tough to press the new ones in as it is to get the old ones out. It sounds like that would work to me. It couldn't hurt to freeze the bearings overnight either.

sixstringsteve

It's been said many times, but the guys at Six States in Orem are the best!

Good to hear Steve, hopefully you're back on track for the upcoming trip!

Those guys are the best. They hooked me up big time.

Yup, I'm back on track to make the trip. A few more things to do:

- install rear add a leaf
- install rear frame plates
- trim rear fenders and flares
- built tent rack (tube is already bent up, thanks chocflip)
- mount tent

Id also like to get a new washer bottle rigged up, but that may have to wait till after the trip

Max Power

Bryce
In my experience it is very difficult to be precise when cutting a relief in a bearing that you want removed unless you have some precision tools. It works, just don't go after it with an angle grinder.:)

Rock Taco

can I just cut a relief in the old bearing, heat it with a torch and tap it on the side?

I don't think cutting it would be worth the extra effort.

When I replaced the bearings in Carlos I used a 75 ton press and at first I didn't think it was going to do it. When it finally popped it scared the crap out of me. The new bearings went back in no problem.

Steve I don't know how the threads got stripped in the spindle. I have driven it a few thousand miles since I replaced the lower ball joints. I think you would have been fine.

Carlos is looking good keep the pictures coming.

sixstringsteve

I probably would have been fine. Now I'll be extra fine. ;)

The ball joints.you got had an extra washer/bushing that went under the bolts. This caused the threads to not engage for more than a turn or two. No biggie, its fixed now.

I put close to 200 miles on it today. Its a fantastic truck and I'm impressed with how well it drives. It drives as well as stock, if not better.

sixstringsteve

Ill be taking half the day off today to get some stuff done. Here's the plan from noon to 5:

- install Dakar add a leaf
- weld on rear frame bracing
- trim rear fenders
- add front sway bar
- put interior back together

Then if there's time I'll start.working on the tent rack.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
get those all checked off tonight steve?

Look at the history. I'm not knocking here are all Steve I promise but I know personally when I make a plan and a timeline my wife knows not to believe it. She knows to add a couple hours when I tell her it's going to be a two hour job. Pretty much it's going to take me twice as long as I say.

I really do hope you managed to knock it all out.

sixstringsteve

You're absolutely right brian. I didn't get as much done as i would have liked, but the night is young. :)

Most of my guitar students cancelled tonight so that bought me a bit more time. I'm going.to hit it hard in an hour. I should get it all done except for the trimming of the fenders.

ricsrx

Motor timing belt/ water pump done...
rear diff done...
I wish I had your modivation, Im calling it a night....

sixstringsteve

Well done rick! My motivation is the.trip this weekend. I'm sick of wrenching And I just want to drive it. The sooner I finish the sooner I'm done wrenching. I haven't had a relaxing night in about a month.

Last edited: