Build Thread: Sixstringsteve's 2002 Tacoma double cab: Carlos

sixstringsteve

whew, what a productive day. It's sad, my body is getting used to going to bed at 2 AM now...

As Brian predicted, I didn't get everything done that I set out to, but I got most of it done. The frame stiffeners are welded and painted, and the rear add-a-leafs are in. Add a leafs are always a pain, and on one side I put it all back together only to realize one of my overload leafs was upside down. D'oh! So that took an extra hour to fix.

The list is getting shorter. Here's what needs to be done tomorrow:
- build rack for tent
- trim rear fender flares

And on Friday:
- put interior back together
- install front flares
- clean and wash the truck
- possibly install rear bump stops
- leave for FYTO

sixstringsteve

After so many cold nights lying on the cement floor wrenching, freeze your tail off is going to feel.like sweat your tail off. I don't know how I've.avoided the flu that had been going around.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
After so many cold nights lying on the cement floor wrenching, freeze your tail off is going to feel.like sweat your tail off. I don't know how I've.avoided the flu that had been going around.

It's been flirting with me, my throat has been tickling and sore for a couple days now. The next house I buy WILL have a decent sized insulated garage, if not a full-on shop.

B2-Bomber

my rig build was supposed to take a month ( i was off work, and wrenched day and night ) that was july 2009, it then morphed into "i'll be done november 1st...."

i drove it the first time mother's day 2010, and spent the following month working out all the bugs that manifested themselves on the first trip

i feel your pain, it always takes longer than expected

sixstringsteve

I actually finished it a lot faster than I thought. I didn't think it would be remotely possible to get this truck done by FYTO, but with all the wrenching parties and late nights with kyle and frieed, we're there. Just a few more things to button up. It drives better on the freeway than stock, which is always a good thing.

sixstringsteve

A few initial impressions with the add a leafs...

The truck sits at least an inch taller on the back. The stance is great with the 2882s, but the ride is a little stiff unloaded. It should be.just.right.after I add the winch and bumper up front, and the rtt on the back.

2012-12-20_11-49-17_193.jpg

2012-12-20_11-49-03_107.jpg

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Thanks guys. The build has taken a bit longer than I planned because I find myself not working and just staring at it too often. It looks even better in person. :D