Build Thread: Sixstringsteve's 2002 Tacoma double cab: Carlos

Max Power

Bryce
i'm sure that this has been covered, but why specifically RTT? it seems like it is a lot of trouble, and space consuming in the back of the truck. just to have a tent that could just as easily be set up on the ground

not knocking it, just curious. i am a tent camper, always have been. not an RV kind of guy either.

The top 5 reasons I can think of:
-Setup time is a matter of a couple of minutes. Just unfold the tent and tighten 2 poles.
-Built in comfortable mattress.
-You can leave your bedding in the tent while collapsed.
-The tent is very well built. Quality ripstop canvas.
-A RTT gets you off the ground and away from dirt, rocks and snakes.:D

STAG

it secures with 4 trick-tabs (roof-rack style light tabs) and on the bottom of the RTT itself there is a sort of "track" system that holds a bolt and allows it forward/rearward adjustment.

the RTT itself is premium quality, extremely well built.

B2-Bomber

again not knocking, but for the real estate it takes up I just want to be the devil's advocate here

(yes I know it's your rig, i'm not trying to talk you out of anything, just wanting to discuss it)

The top 5 reasons I can think of:
-Setup time is a matter of a couple of minutes. Just unfold the tent and tighten 2 poles.
-Built in comfortable mattress.
-You can leave your bedding in the tent while collapsed.
-The tent is very well built. Quality ripstop canvas.
-A RTT gets you off the ground and away from dirt, rocks and snakes.:D

To me bullet-points 3, and 5 are the only ones exclusive to an rtt

If it takes you more than five minutes to set up a tent that size, you need
practice. If your "comfortable mattress" takes less than 30 seconds to drag into your tent, you should have left your serta california king at home
And if an arb tent is your solution to poor quality, you shouldn't be comparing it to wal-mart tents, compare it to a comparably priced tent.....a non rtt that retails for that much is a seriously high quality tent

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
i'm sure that this has been covered, but why specifically RTT? it seems like it is a lot of trouble, and space consuming in the back of the truck. just to have a tent that could just as easily be set up on the ground

not knocking it, just curious. i am a tent camper, always have been. not an RV kind of guy either.

It has been covered. Steve has even admitted that this might not be the end all solution for camping but that he budgeted for it and decided since he had always wanted to try one he would give it a shot. It's only in the past few pages of posts that he covered it so I'm sure it would be easy enough for you to go back through and read his reasoning yourself.

Max Power

Bryce
Why so defensive? You had a question, I tried to answer it.

I agree that they are expensive. I have never owned a cheap ass Walmart tent so that is not what I was comparing it too. I was comparing setup time to my brothers Kodiac tent. The mattress isn't super comfortable but adequate.

sixstringsteve

It has been covered. Steve has even admitted that this might not be the end all solution for camping but that he budgeted for it and decided since he had always wanted to try one he would give it a shot. It's only in the past few pages of posts that he covered it so I'm sure it would be easy enough for you to go back through and read his reasoning yourself.

This. Absolutely no need, just a desire to try it out and see if I like it for my camping needs.

sixstringsteve

Also Steve knows its not a needed item, it's a wanted luxury.

This.

Its more expensive than my REI tent. Its heavier. It takes up more space (albeit unused space) and its slower to set up than my REI tent. I'm not trying to justify a need. Its a luxury item that I budgeted for and I'm seeing if its for me.

So far I'm very impressed with the quality. I absolutely froze last night. It was the coldest night camping.I've ever had. It was Aldo the.coldest temps I've ever had. I think I might have been warmer on ng ground tent but its impossible to now for sure. I really like it though, I'm glad I bought it.

One big advantage to me is the way it stays cleaner because you're not tracking in nearly as much dirt since its off the ground. I like feeling like I'm in a treehouse, and I like how I can keep my bedding in it 24/7 without worrying about it getting soaked.

STAG

I think if you had a cover kinda like we were talking about, to keep air from circulating underneath you, it would help keep the heat in a little bit. Also if you had your wife there would help radiate but you knew that ha.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I think if you had a cover kinda like we were talking about, to keep air from circulating underneath you, it would help keep the heat in a little bit. Also if you had your wife there would help radiate but you knew that ha.

Guys who do the hammock thing hang blankets underneath them that do that.