Build Thread: Sixstringsteve's 2002 Tacoma double cab: Carlos

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
... is exhausting just thinking of it.

No we are are on the same page :D

...However, this is my baby and it's never left me stranded at all. I would only be gaining freeway and around town manners, and I would be losing a lot of capability if I ever decided I needed it.

You will need it... while your current MO may not have it a priority, I can guarantee you next year your planning trips that include some fun off-road routes that wouldn't be nearly as comfortable in a stock truck with stock tires with stock rocker panels and bumpers, etc... you get the point. Let's revisit this subject next spring. On that note, you should join us for the 'throw the darts' trip. We (a few EU members thusfar) are literally going to throwdarts in a map and then head there. Plans are iffy at this point but 4WD will be needed :cool:

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

You will need it... while your current MO may not have it a priority, I can guarantee you next year your planning trips that include some fun off-road routes that wouldn't be nearly as comfortable in a stock truck with stock tires with stock rocker panels and bumpers, etc... you get the point.

I think you are 100% spot on. Thanks for helping convince me of this.

On that note, you should join us for the 'throw the darts' trip. We (a few EU members thusfar) are literally going to throwdarts in a map and then head there. Plans are iffy at this point but 4WD will be needed :cool:

That sounds cool. 2014 is going to be crazy busy for backpacking trips for me, but I don't currently have any 4x4 plans yet, so that could be great.

STAG

I'm surprised everyone isn't reccomending Steve to sell Carlos so they can buy him for themselves.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
Hmm sounds like its time to join the '295 underground' club. Not expo because they're one size too big but not rockcrawler because they're one size too small--perfect ;)

I love Carlos.

sixstringsteve

Recently I noticed a clunking sound in the front end whenever I would exit a steep driveway, or hit a pothole. I finally narrowed it down, and found that my bushings on my SPC/LR UCAs were shot. The old design was rather poor, as it relied on a rubber bushing to twist and rotate inside a metal sleeve, a bit like the old leaf spring bushings. After a while, mine ate right through, and I could move the UCA back and forth about 1/2" to the left and right. So I ordered up some new bushings, only nobody had them in stock. I had a trip planned later that day, so I went ahead and just ordered brand new UCAs from Low Range. Thankfully they had them in stock. I picked them up, and two hours later, with help from my wife, we got them installed. The truck feels super tight up front now. I still have some play in my steering rack, but I plan to replace it in the spring when it's warmer in the garage. :D

I'm glad to have traced that down. I have much more confidence driving this hundreds of miles away now. Fortunately SPC has upgraded their bushings to be the new and improved design that won't wear out like the old ones (although I imagine they may wear out after 100-150k miles, just like any other bushing.)

sixstringsteve

One more update: I love Km2's in deep snow (over 4"), but in snow-covered roads they can be quite sketchy. I'm thinking about finding some all-terrains next, or at least something with better snow traction, since the majority of the time I'm driving this truck is in the winter.

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
One more update: I love Km2's in deep snow (over 4"), but in snow-covered roads they can be quite sketchy. I'm thinking about finding some all-terrains next, or at least something with better snow traction, since the majority of the time I'm driving this truck is in the winter.

I think that's a fair assessment on the KM2's. I loved mine in the deep snow and big rocks (and mud), but most everywhere else AT's are a much better all around tire.

Depending on the price, I may be interested in the KM2's when you get them off.

sixstringsteve

I'm having a tough time finding AT/s with a decent sidewall. I like the duratracs, but they don't make a 35" tire with 3-ply sidewalls. I use my sidewalls a lot when rock crawling. Help me find the right A/Ts (or a MT that's decent in snow that's beefy and light) and these will be up for sale soon.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I just put some Toyo A/T's on my tahoe. They come in the 35" variety and have 10 ply sidewalls when you go with Load range E. Just looking at them they look like they would make a great off road tire for an A/T.

Thet also have some sidewall tread. Not like a M/T but really good imo.

sixstringsteve

I really just want a duratrac in a 35x17x(10.5-12.5), load range E. That'd be my ideal tire. But I don't think they make them in that size.

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
I'm having a tough time finding AT/s with a decent sidewall. I like the duratracs, but they don't make a 35" tire with 3-ply sidewalls. I use my sidewalls a lot when rock crawling. Help me find the right A/Ts (or a MT that's decent in snow that's beefy and light) and these will be up for sale soon.

I love the BFG AT's myself, they work great is most conditions, last a long time and are quiet.