Build Thread: Sixstringsteve's 2002 Tacoma double cab: Carlos

sixstringsteve

what about snow/ice? I had a set on an old 4runner and I thought they were terrible on snow/ice (though I"m sure the detroit in the rear didn't help)

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I'm loving them in the snow and ice so far. Its a night and day difference from what was on there. Also far superior to my Nittos in the snow.

sixstringsteve

Those toyo A/Ts look good. I wonder how stiff they ride. I remember Kyle had the Toyo MTs on his taco, and it rode really stiff. These light tacos don't like super stiff sidewalls.

sixstringsteve

maybe I could groove my KM2s in the middle to be more like a duratrac. I wonder how much extra traction I would get siping my tires.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
They are the A/T II. I am trying to upload a couple close ups of the sidewall and tread but I'm in the middle of nowhere in Oregon with crap reception

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I wonder how much extra traction I would get siping my tires.

I siped my KM2s before I had a chance to run them in the snow so I don't know what they're like without sipes, but I've got no complaints. Maybe the size and load rating are just really well suited for this truck, but they've been great for me.

sixstringsteve

12.5" is wider than ideal for snow travel. I think a 9.5-10" KM2 would be an entirely different story. Those pizza cutters did extremely well at the Newfies in Feb.

Rock Taco

I just put some Toyo A/T's on my tahoe. They come in the 35" variety and have 10 ply sidewalls when you go with Load range E. Just looking at them they look like they would make a great off road tire for an A/T.

Thet also have some sidewall tread. Not like a M/T but really good imo.

The sidewalls are only 3 ply in load range E.

Good info. Toyo makes great tires, but they're usually pretty heavy. Can you feel the difference in weight?

Both of these are for 35x12.5x17

From BFGs site for the KM2 the last column is the weight. http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire-selector/name/mud-terrain-t-a-km2-tires#techspecs
12.5" on 10"36.8566203525@5073.7

From Toyos site in red. These are actually lighter than the BFGs. http://toyotires.com/tire/pattern/open-country-at-ii-on-off-road-all-terrain-tires
35X12.50R17LT121REXTBSW3528108.5-10.0-11.07017.434.512.53195 / -65 / - N/A6023P+2S+2N3P

I had the previous generation of the toyos (the AT) on Carlos and loved them. I dont remember if they were E rated or not but they did well in dirt, rocks, rain, and snow.

But I think you should try siping or grooving what you have before buying new tires.

Last edited:

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
12.5" is wider than ideal for snow travel. I think a 9.5-10" KM2 would be an entirely different story. Those pizza cutters did extremely well at the Newfies in Feb.

I'm going to have to disagree with the skinny-tire trend... we ran BFG 255/75/R17 KM's on our '03 4Runner and it was noticeably more squirly at speed, to the point that it didn't feel nearly as sure-footed as it did before the skinny tires. Sure, the skinny tires may work better offroad but unless you're offroad 90% of the time, I don't think the tradeoff in streetable driving is worth it.

sixstringsteve

I'm going to have to disagree with the skinny-tire trend... we ran BFG 255/75/R17 KM's on our '03 4Runner and it was noticeably more squirly at speed, to the point that it didn't feel nearly as sure-footed as it did before the skinny tires. Sure, the skinny tires may work better offroad but unless you're offroad 90% of the time, I don't think the tradeoff in streetable driving is worth it.

Good to know, thanks for the feedback.

sixstringsteve

I also removed my Dakar add-a-leafs. Now that I don't have a RTT on the back, it was sitting a lot taller in the rear. I think this shifted more of the weight to the front of the vehicle, making the rear end even lighter. That wasn't good for braking or for snow. Plus the ride was pretty harsh with the add a leafs. I'm glad they're out, it rides a lot better now.

Since my winch/bumper combo is lighter than I anticipated, I may switch the front coils to 881's. The ride is still a tiny bit stiff up front as is. If I were to switch to 881's, I'll definitely want my sway bar back. The 882's do a good job at keeping body roll to a min, but 881s would have more.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
We just put a new set of BFG A/T's on the ladies FJ cruiser I'm impressed at how well they are doing in the snow. We wanted duratracs but they were backordered in her size