Build Thread: Sixstringsteve's 2002 Tacoma double cab: Carlos

LT.

Six- I believe the Toyo at2 is the hot ticket for you. I have a set on my dually that is kind of an odd size that you maybe interested in. 285-75-17'S they measure 34" tall and 11" wide. Also they are a load range E like you are wanting. They are heavy and long lasting but, I am questioning you wanting a load range E tire on such a light vehicle. Heavier load range tires are going to give you a more firm ride. As the tire rating goes up so does the weight of the tire and the strength of the tires construction.

LT.

sixstringsteve

The only load range e tire I'm interested in is the Goodyear duratrac. That's the only version with a 3ply sidewall. 3 ply sidewalks are a requirement for my next tires.

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
Have you had that many sidewall issues Steve? I've had some, but most weren't a surprise... either tires that had put in their time, or running over something sharp & stupid.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
i had 10.5" wide on my Range Rover. It was horrible on road. went to 11.5 wide and its much nicer on road. still works great off road.

285/75/16 on Load Range D is about perfect on my vehicle.

original.gif

Last edited:

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I had 35x12.50 KM2's on my LJ and HATED them in snow and ice. The Mickey Thompson MTZ Radials that were on it when I bought it were AWESOME. I should have bought those to replace them.

My current Jeep has the Toyo MT's on it. While they haven't been my favorite tire, the more I wheel them the more I like them. I played around in the snow Saturday at Devil's Playground and was astonished at how well they performed.

I ran the BFG All Terrains on my XJ, and never had any complaints about them on road, but I never really wheeled that Jeep. In the snow and ice though, those tires were great.

sixstringsteve

Have you had that many sidewall issues Steve? I've had some, but most weren't a surprise... either tires that had put in their time, or running over something sharp & stupid.

Nope, never had a sidewall issue. In fact, I've never had any tire issue at all. Plenty of friends have had sidewall issues on our trips though. The lines I pick usually use my sidewall grabbing a ledge or rock, so I want to make sure my sidewalls are up to the task.

cackalak

Recently I noticed a clunking sound in the front end whenever I would exit a steep driveway, or hit a pothole. I finally narrowed it down, and found that my bushings on my SPC/LR UCAs were shot. The old design was rather poor, as it relied on a rubber bushing to twist and rotate inside a metal sleeve, a bit like the old leaf spring bushings. After a while, mine ate right through, and I could move the UCA back and forth about 1/2" to the left and right. So I ordered up some new bushings, only nobody had them in stock. I had a trip planned later that day, so I went ahead and just ordered brand new UCAs from Low Range. Thankfully they had them in stock. I picked them up, and two hours later, with help from my wife, we got them installed. The truck feels super tight up front now. I still have some play in my steering rack, but I plan to replace it in the spring when it's warmer in the garage. :D

I'm glad to have traced that down. I have much more confidence driving this hundreds of miles away now. Fortunately SPC has upgraded their bushings to be the new and improved design that won't wear out like the old ones (although I imagine they may wear out after 100-150k miles, just like any other bushing.)

Wonder if that attributed to my old 4Runner and Tacomas mini-Death Wobble after hitting bumps at freeway speeds. I could never track that down. Replaced PS & sway bar bushings, which toned it down a bit, but still was there.

I'm having a tough time finding AT/s with a decent sidewall. I like the duratracs, but they don't make a 35" tire with 3-ply sidewalls. I use my sidewalls a lot when rock crawling. Help me find the right A/Ts (or a MT that's decent in snow that's beefy and light) and these will be up for sale soon.

I've had 3 sets of BFG KO's and they've been excellent. Past 50% tread, the performance declines severely.

sixstringsteve

Treps have actually been on my short list lately. Seeing your and Davy's treps in action have just about sold me. The only reason I haven't switched to treps yet is the weight and I wonder how streetable they are. i guess you can't have it all.

Last edited:

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Treps have actually been on my short list lately. Seeing your and Davy's treps in action have just about sold me. The only reason I haven't switched to treps yet is the weight and I wonder how streetable they are. i guess you can't have it all.

My wife daily drives our JK they are about half tread after a year and half, Plus we have beat on them mercilessly in the rocks

You are saying you want a super beefy sidewall but you want a light tire.... those two requirements are very contradictive

sixstringsteve

I don't need SUPER beefy, just more than a 2 ply duratrac. I love everything about my KM2's except the snow/ice traction on roads. Sidewalls are plenty strong enough for what I do, and they're still a light tire.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Have you considered having the KM2's siped to see if it's an improvement in light snow / ice? A couple tire shops I called offer the service and it would be far cheaper to do than to buy a new set of tires.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
My understanding about siping is that shops will only do it on new tires. Once the tires have been driven on, there is too much risk of damaging the siping machine from small rocks/debris in the tread.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Discount tire as willing to sipe my tires. $12 ea. I'll report back how I like it.

Good deal.

For future tire shopping reference as far as the Toyo Open Country A/T II's go...love them on ice and packed snow and they did very well in un-traveled snow up to about six inches is the deepest I was able to find in Oregon, for me I'm sold on them as an A/T and impressed by their tread pattern as a potential dual purpose tire.