Build Thread: Sixstringsteve's 2002 Tacoma double cab: Carlos

sixstringsteve

I test drove a 2nd gen tacoma to either get my mind off a new one, or to get my mind off Carlos.

The 2nd gen tacos are awesome, but not as awesome as my doublecab. I really liked the power of the 2005 I drove, but that was about it. It was too big, too plastic-like, and too expensive. Then a friend invited me to drive the PET and rattlesnake with him. We drove all over, only used half a tank of gas. The truck did great whether we were going 75mph on the freeway and 1/2mph in the rocks. I love this truck, it's really well built, very durable, and super reliable.

IMG_20140104_170955_921.jpg

IMG_20140104_172442_047.jpg

sixstringsteve

update on the siped tires: they make a HUGE difference in the ice and snow. They feel like a different tire. Definitely worth the extra road noise. They're not as good as a 100% dedicated snow tire, but they're as good as any A/T I've ever used. I think the siping helped in mud at high speeds too. We were driving 40-60 mph on hardpack, ice, mud, and light snow, and these tires were even better than normal. Not squirmy or unpredictable at all. In fact, in 2wd, the siped tires had better traction than in 4wd before.

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
2nd gen tacoma interiors are lacking... ok all tacoma interiors are lackingn but 2nd gens have more plastic. I wish they would make them plush like the 4runner.

Rock Taco

I test drove a 2nd gen tacoma to either get my mind off a new one, or to get my mind off Carlos.

The 2nd gen tacos are awesome, but not as awesome as my doublecab. I really liked the power of the 2005 I drove, but that was about it. It was too big, too plastic-like, and too expensive. Then a friend invited me to drive the PET and rattlesnake with him. We drove all over, only used half a tank of gas. The truck did great whether we were going 75mph on the freeway and 1/2mph in the rocks. I love this truck, it's really well built, very durable, and super reliable.

IMG_20140104_170955_921.jpg

IMG_20140104_172442_047.jpg

It sexy when dirty as well! :D

Cascadia

Undecided
That guy with the first gen I sent you a picture of wrote me back. He said he'd sell it for 9500 if you're interested. But I assume you're not with the corvette motor and all.

sixstringsteve

That guy with the first gen I sent you a picture of wrote me back. He said he'd sell it for 9500 if you're interested. But I assume you're not with the corvette motor and all.

I guess it depends on which corvette motor it is. Still got the pics? Can you text them to me?

sixstringsteve

Probably. But its be easier to rebuild Carlos than to find a 1st gen that clean.

If that truck had a 3rz swap, I'd pay $10k for it.