Build Thread: Sixstringsteve's 2002 Tacoma double cab: Carlos

sixstringsteve

Oh, I thought you had a buggy before (and thus assumed the tow rig part).

Looking forward to the next adventure.

To be honest, I know this is the ideal rig for me. I know there's nothing better out there that'll make me happier. I think it's the thought of owning a $17k car that I only use 12 times a month. If I could get a $4k car that can carry me the same places, I might be happy. I don't know what it is, it kinda drives me crazy. I think I've got a case of the winter blues. It was also an impulse thing once the ATV law passed. The thought of a stripped down rig like this for under $4k that I can drive around town appeals to me (with some headlights and blinkers):

trailer6.jpg

It'd be fun to drive in the summer, and fun to take up AF Canyon, but honestly, I'd still have a rig for only a handful of times per year, so it doesn't make much sense. I think part of it is a conflict inside me, that now I finally have the skills and tools to build the rigs I've always dreamed of. The thought of being mid-build isn't fun, but the thought of turning a stock rig into something super capable for cheap is appealing. I should just build rigs for other people so I don't have time to change my mind.

Last edited:

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
get a land rover. it'll be more capable and keep you working on it. I've been happy with mine for 4 years. but then again, I'm busy with work, kids, and a house. so the rover only gets attention once in awhile. its paid for and sits in the driveway happy as a clam. i take it out when I want to go play with it. I've worked out all the bugs, it rides great, has plenty of power and goes everywhere I want to go. Its different then every other thing out there. I've had Toyota's and Jeeps. They get boring after a few months to me.

I only paid $5500 for my Range Rover. I've invested another $2000 into it in parts and maintenance. And it has not depreciated much if at all in the last 4 years.

sixstringsteve

I've decided to keep the Taco for now. I can't imagine a better rig for me. I may end up getting some nice adjustable shocks out in the back, and possibly some adjustable coilovers for summer months up front. We'll see what happens.

Box Rocket

bored
yoyo-940x626.jpg

sixstringsteve

I finally completed the video from our Rubicon Trail trip last September. The truck did incredibly well. Zero breakage, zerp body damage, no winching or strapping, and it drove 85mph there and 85mph back without any issues.

[video=youtube_share;GmdmR8W5Kk4]http://youtu.be/GmdmR8W5Kk4[/video]

STAG

Steve, I feel like if you were to get rid of Carlos it would be comparable to getting rid of a wife who cooks and cleans and all your friends think is smoking hot.

sixstringsteve

My TPS was acting up, so I swapped it out. Next tank of gas, I got 21 mpg from Castle Dale to Lehi Main. Holy cow. Granted, I was losing elevation, but I'm still very impressed.

sixstringsteve

I wonder what it'd take to swap in a 5-speed. I need to do some more research and determine if that would require a different ECU or not. If so, it might be a deal-breaker.