Build Thread: Sixstringsteve's 2002 Tacoma double cab: Carlos

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
I wonder what it'd take to swap in a 5-speed. I need to do some more research and determine if that would require a different ECU or not. If so, it might be a deal-breaker.

I hear it works best with a new Ecu and guages. Some else to think about is the 5 speed has slightly lower gearing.

sixstringsteve

so here are the ratios between trannies:

R150F 5-speed manual:

1 - 3.83
2 - 2.06
3 - 1.44
4 - 1.00
5 - 0.84

A340F auto trans

1 - 2.80
2 - 1.53
3 - 1.00
4 - 0.71

it's 15% lower.

The calculator tells me:

w/ a 5-speed
70 mph = 2986 RPM
85 mph = 3626 RPM

a/ auto
70 mph = 2667 RPM
85 mph = 3238 RPM

sixstringsteve

I think a 5-speed swap would kill my mpg. I'd either want to get 37's, or go to 4.88's, and I'm not willing to do either. So I'm sticking with the auto trans it came with.

The new TPS really made the truck feel snappy and it's a lot more exciting to drive now. I wonder if a valve body upgrade would also net snappier performance. I've heard good things from people who've sent their valve body out to IPT to get reworked. It's $529 plus shipping. I'll be doing more research to see if it's something I want or not.

sixstringsteve

FatTony was telling me that Dakkar springs sag over time. I hadn't heard of that happening to anyone, but the last couple trips, I've really noticed that my rear suspension has sagged at least 2 inches.

IMG_20140331_071437_958.jpg

I'm going to throw the dakkar add-a-leaf back in and see if that fixes it.

That being said, I took this truck out this past weekend and fell back in love with it. The new TPS really made it come back alive.

D

Deleted member 12904

Supercharge it. My old 02 would see 21 mpg all the time with 285/75/16 tires and stock gearing and I loved the power the supercharger made.

sixstringsteve

My buddy has a supercharged taco, URD 7th injector, water injection, the works. I don't feel like the power increase was worth the headache he went through tuning it, not to mention the cost.

I'm pretty darn happy with this truck lately, especially after the 21 mpg.

zukijames

so here are the ratios between trannies:

R150F 5-speed manual:

1 - 3.83
2 - 2.06
3 - 1.44
4 - 1.00
5 - 0.84

A340F auto trans

1 - 2.80
2 - 1.53
3 - 1.00
4 - 0.71

it's 15% lower.

The calculator tells me:

w/ a 5-speed
70 mph = 2986 RPM
85 mph = 3626 RPM

a/ auto
70 mph = 2667 RPM
85 mph = 3238 RPM

have you looked at dyan/hino gear swaps for the r150.

around $1000 in parts gets you a 5.15:1 first and I think .79 5th

sixstringsteve

No, I haven't looked at that. That's more than I want to spend. I think i'll just get the valve body upgraded and enjoy my auto trans.

lewis

Fight Till You Die
All I noticed with the valve body upgrade was stiffer shifts which wasn't always the most comfortable. Also the towing function switch (can't remember what its called) would make my Trans heat up quick and slip.

sixstringsteve

All I noticed with the valve body upgrade was stiffer shifts which wasn't always the most comfortable. Also the towing function switch (can't remember what its called) would make my Trans heat up quick and slip.

This is exactly what I needed to hear, thank you. Did you regret doing the valve body upgrade to yours?

sixstringsteve

Steve, did you need to replace your TPS? If not, why did you replace it?

I threw a check engine light on my last trip in the Maze district. It was a throttle position sensor. The CEL kept going on and off, so I wasn't too worried about it. Thankfully this isn't a throttle by wire rig like the 2003+ tacomas, or I may have been stranded out there. I bought a replacement TPS and threw it in the glove box in case the CEL came on again.

This past weekend in the swell, I threw the CEL just outside of Salina, and my throttle response was only about 20%. I could have kept going, but I couldn't have maintained 45mph up the hill with a bad tps. I swapped it out on the side of the road - 3 minutes max, just requiring a phillips screwdriver. Popped the new one in and she was good to go. Not only good to go, but the performance was much higher.

When you say come back alive, what do you mean by that?

It just wasn't feeling peppy at all. I figure it slowly got worse over time, and I was just getting used to it not being peppy. With the new TPS, the lag between pushing the pedal down and acceleration is much slower.

sixstringsteve

The TPS has made this truck feel fun again. In fact, I drove it to work yesterday because I was excited to drive it. As many of you know, I've been off and on about sellig this rig. If I sold it, I would have bought a stock x-cab and just left it stock. However, I'm never going to find an x-cab that has been maintained like this one, and is rust free. Plus I won't find one that doesn't have ABS, and is older than 2003 (I don't want throttle by wire). All that, plus the recent trip @ 21 mpg, made me decide to keep this truck. I'm actually pretty excited about keeping it, it's got a lot to offer. Now that it's fun to drive again, and getting good MPG, I don't really have a reason to sell it, other than the fact that it's an expensive rig and I could get by with something cheaper.

jentzschman

Awesome, thanks Steve. I am curious now. I might pick up on to see if it makes any difference what so ever with my truck. I have been monitoring my MPG and it would be interesting to see if it changes with a new sensor.

I think if your truck were geared for 33's, it would be even better, IMHO. As you have mentioned, it is a VERY capable rig but it seems your style of off roading is geared more toward expo then crawling lately, which I completely understand.

sixstringsteve

...is there a break-over point when they don't command as much $?

Do you mean mileage wise? In my opion, I think a doublecab will always be worth $7500, even if it's got a salvage title, or 300k miles. If it's wrecked, then that's a different story.

If you mean modification wise, I believe it's easier to sell them the closer they are to stock. Modifications don't really make them worth more on the general market, but in our 4x4 world, I think the right mods can make it worth more.

As well, when would it be time to move this truck along and get something else? I'm referring to a point of the vehicle's life that's not motivated by characteristics/reasons why you like it or are currently keeping it.

I don't understand what you're asking.

I sell rigs because I get bored, my needs change, I like the thrill of having a new vehicle, or I try to simplify my life and see if I can get by with cheaper things that do the same thing as my expensive things. In my mind, my tacoma is my asset that's worth the most money. My life would be just fine if I had a $5000 truck. I was thinking of selling it to simplify my life and get by with less.

sixstringsteve

Awesome, thanks Steve. I am curious now. I might pick up on to see if it makes any difference what so ever with my truck. I have been monitoring my MPG and it would be interesting to see if it changes with a new sensor.

I think if your truck were geared for 33's, it would be even better, IMHO. As you have mentioned, it is a VERY capable rig but it seems your style of off roading is geared more toward expo then crawling lately, which I completely understand.

Exactly. I built this truck for a purpose: to be able to do the Rubicon, and go camping in between. Now that I've done it, my needs have shifted. My needs can now be met with a stock-ish truck with an OME lift. But it'd cost a lot to regear and get new tires, so I might as well keep the 35s and 5.29s and keep getting 21 mpg. That's where I'm at.

jentzschman

Exactly. I built this truck for a purpose: to be able to do the Rubicon, and go camping in between. Now that I've done it, my needs have shifted. My needs can now be met with a stock-ish truck with an OME lift. But it'd cost a lot to regear and get new tires, so I might as well keep the 35s and 5.29s and keep getting 21 mpg. That's where I'm at.

Ya, re-gearing is pricey, not t mention new tires on top of that. Getting 21mpg is amazing. I am only getting an average of 18-19. This is why after seeing your information on the TPS I am considering replacing mine.